have i hit my GPU's limit? (8800GTX)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, May 29, 2007.

1. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    I just got my EVGA 8800GTX in, beautiful card, but huge.

anyway, I started playing with it, opened up ATItools and the artifact tester and started overclock trials. I could get up to exactly 630mhz without artifacts (load temp is 83c). 631 and beyond though instantly give me artifacts. Would better cooling help or is this just the limit of the GPU without a volt mod?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How hot is your room? Your temps are like rather high even for air. My friends air cooled 8800GTX never hits over 65 and his room temps are pretty hot.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    My evga gtx also hits 83C, and that's at stock clocks. How many amps does your PSU have on the 12v rail, I've never even heard of an OCZ purepower.

4. Ourasi

Ourasi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    The GTX has some huge speedsteps on GPU and RAM, my core has these steps: 621/648/675, always 27mhz steps.
    I cannot set the core at anything in between these clocks. And it's probably the same for all GTX's, just different values. Even if the overclock program you use shows the values you set and set them sucsessfully, it will always use these steps. So when you go up that single mhz, in real clocks it goes up 27mhz. Thats why you hit a brick wall........ You can use Everest to see the real clocks in the "overclock" section.

Last edited: May 29, 2007

5. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    I need to update my profile, im now using a Mushkin 550w Enhanced PSU, has 20 amp each 12v rail, having 2 12v rails.

Supposedly it has railfusion, combining the 12v rails when needed

6. morbias

GPU:
    -
    I don't know if this could be part of your problem, but your PSU only has 28A combined on the +12v rail, and the gtx requires 30A. Even if it's not limiting your overclock I would seriously think about investing in a new PSU before it goes bang, especially since you're overclocking everything.

7. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    I miss typed that, i ment 20amps on each rail x 2, so 40 amps

8. morbias

GPU:
    -
    It doesn't quite work like that, see here.

Those values are peak values which each rail can achieve independently, they are in fact fed from the same source meaning you can't have 20A load on both rails at the same time.

9. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    Ugh, guess your right. Will take a look for a new PSU, thank you! Could you recommend a good one under $150?

10. morbias

GPU:
    -
    A lot of people fall into that trap, imo PSU manufacturers should put the combined value on the packaging but I guess that would dent their sales ;)

And what Ourasi mentioned about the 27mhz clockgen is the most likely cause of the artifacts, if you have the monitoring window in rivatuner open while you change the clocks you can see if 630-631mhz is the threshold for when it scales the clocks up. The window should show you the actual clocks rather than the clocks you've set.

The new Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are probably around that price point, the 750W is apparently excellent value for money and very stable. Avoid earlier Thermaltake PSUs though, they have a very bad reputation for cheap components and high failure rates.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    The magic of Dual rail marketing it gets everyone. I even made the mistake of getting a Dual rail PSU with a Dual CPU setup that was a mistake.

12. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153040

Thats the only one i could find in my price range:

+3.3V@30A,+5V@28A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A, +12V4@18A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A

Can we trust this combination of 4 12v rails?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

This OCZ fits my budget even better, hate the fact its not modular, but i can deal. I'll look up some reviews, but would love your guys input as well

The main thing is it has to run a P5B- Deluxe, 6 usb Devices, 1 firewire device, the 8800gtx, 4 hard drives (2 Terabytes of space! and 60% of its used up :( ) 4 gigs of ram, a C2D and everything is overclocked.

Definatly wish i would have known of the PSU marketing BS before hand.

13. morbias

GPU:
    -
    With 52A combined that will do the job nicely, might be worth seeing what other people suggest too, but after reading jonnyguru's review of the 750W I'd have to say you can't go far wrong.

As far as I know, the OCz GameXstream PSUs have ripple problems so I'd choose the Thermaltake over it.

[EDIT] btw, Jonnyguru is well known for doing the most in-depth PSU reviews you're likely to find. Also, non-modular PSUs are actually preferable to modular for serious system builders, as the modular connectors cause voltage loss through higher resistance. You just have to find a way to hide the cables :)

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Tagan also has some nice PSU's. they have a 600w modular PSU for $149, and a 700w modular for 189 i believe (the one i have). quite nice PSU i must say, and the packaging is quite nice too. 4x 12v rails with 20A on each, and a combined output of 56A.

also nice that they have a 135mm fan to cool them.

15. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC

16. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
  17. pagusas

pagusas Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    I hope you all know your amazingly awsome

I think im going to go with the tough power 650 modular

With having a p180 case, i really need a modular psu to handle all the wires. I'm hoping its nearly as good as its 750watt cousin.

Scratch that, looks like the Corsair HX620W is getting my money, both jonny and Legit Reviews gave it great reviews

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  18. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    i took this card..evga 8800gtx...to 650/2000
    i went even higher but 650/2000 stable with load. anything higher doesn't do so well...
    i've got a thermalright sink and fan on top of that.....3 coolers total....1 on front of my case, 1 on video card and 1 in psu.

[​IMG]

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    I have hit 678/2030 on mine , Thats with artic silver 5 on the core , chip and memory modules running fan at 100% in a 46F. ambient temperature high air conditioned game room , its all comes down to heat or power related problems. My PSU its been great with me for the last year. Only $109.99 on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702003

20. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    oh yeah..those cards most hardcore nvidia creation i have owned in past years.