Has anyone yet managed a under 5 sec boot time. Possibly raid zero Nvme m.2 drives.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Uniblab12t, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Uniblab12t

Uniblab12t Member

GPU:
    Researching...
    Was wondering what the best ssd boot times currently are. I have seen posted at a few places of under 10 sec boot times but nobody in 2016 has posted Nvme boot times. Should be possible to get reliable <10sec boot times. Just wondering.

2. joey79

joey79 Member

GPU:
    GTX780
    Boot times are mostly depending on how much hardware has to be initialized. 10sec are no problem if you disable enough peripherical stuff.
    BTW RAID takes long to be initialized, doesn't speed up boot times at all.

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I've never worried about boot times since I only do it maybe twice a month.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    There was a guy on MDL forums claimed to have a 3 second boot time with one of the latest Win 10 previews, but when called out to prove it, he went quiet

If you don't count POST, and go for a fast boot (Shutdown > Boot up) rather than a restart, I'd say mine is almost certainly under 10 seconds, probably quite a bit faster

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Just ran Bootracer 5.00 like ten times and all results come back as -0.024 seconds...................so I'm not going to post that. I measured it with my phone and it takes 3.3 to POST, 2.6 for spinning Win10 logo, and about 5-6 to desktop and be fully usable and functional.

Not under 5 but freaking awesome coming from mechanical drives. This is on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB with 4.3TB written to it according to Magician.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    have an hp laptop that seems to skip bios, and thanks to the fingerprint reader gets ready on desk at less than 10s from shutdown not restart obviously

but whats the point really? even 20s is cool if you ask me, and I hardly ever reboot, I think I only do it when w10 gives a blue smiley since that's mandatory

8. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    My system was really fast on boot, but when i added the second card (CFX) the boot time increase quite a bit. Also my Razer mouse and the Native Instrument add some delays on the boot time.