Has anyone removed the socket retainer and latch from their motherboard?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by PieEyedPiper, Apr 28, 2020.

1. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I'm playing around with an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and a 2500k. The problem is (was) that my trusty Thermaltright Ultra eXtreme 120 only has mounting gear for socket 775 but fortunately the board has 775 mounting holes, so everything is good right? Wrong.
    The mounting hardware directly interfered with the footprint of the cpu retention latch. The Thermalright backplate could maybe bend around the stock backplate but rather than bend it up anymore than I already had I opted for full removal of the cpu retention mechanism.
    It seems to work fine? No idea if I'm getting enough pressure but the screws are way tighter to turn than they were on my PK5 Deluxe board.
    Had no thermal paste but went for it anyhow. 80C in Prime blend set at 4.2GHz@1.28vcore. Noctua paste is in the mail. Hoping for a solid 10C drop.

Anyways, is this a common practice? I'm very afraid of any vibration or impacts right now.. how long term could something like this be?
    signal-2020-04-27-192233.jpeg signal-2020-04-27-192310.jpeg signal-2020-04-27-192328.jpeg

2. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    if it fitted directly to the MB without back plate then its not advisable.

3. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Oh I'm sure nothing about this is advisable. You cannot mount the heatsink if you use no backplate at all.

Anyways, thought this might have caught more interest. Heard a rumor that apple doesn't use a retention mechanism on some of their Intel sockets? Never saw any proof.
    Universal TRUE BTK mounting hardware is in the mail so the socket will be reassembled in a day or 3.

Personal assessment of doing something like this short term? Works fine. I can't see any reason why I couldn't run it like this for the rest of it's life but better safe than sorry.
    Cheers,

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Is it a common practice? I don't think so. Honestly though if your heatsink is making a good, tight connection it shouldn't matter in theory.

sykozis and Caesar like this.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Lots of theories don't pan out.....lol

In theory, AMD's CPU retention mechanism should hold the CPU in place when the HSF is removed....but AMD CPUs being ripped out of their ZIF socket is a common occurrence. Even more so if you used Arctic Cooling MX-2 or MX-3.....lol