1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone here used both the X34p and the Alienware AW3418DW?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by sephking, Jun 13, 2019.

1. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Hi,

I've been obsessivelly researching for weeks about what ultra wide to get with a £1k ish budget and I constantly keep reading conflicting information about which is best. I've found a grade A refurb of the x34p for just under £700 and also had an offer form Dell for £840 for the AW3418DW so very torn as to which one to get, as i'd read that these were the best for their price at the moment. Some say the panels are the same and some say they're different.

The main things for me are image quality, in terms of colors, blacks and contrast. I have a Dell 1440p TN Gsync at the moment and I want an ultrawide monitor primarily for gaming, so a minmum of 100hz and ideally Gsync (I have a 1080ti) as well.

Has anyone actually used both of these monitors and can advise which is better or if they are the same?....or if there is a better alternative?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    You can also look at the certified GSync-Compatible FreeSync monitors and save some $$ too.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I have the Acer X34P and the specs look identical to the Alienware. Even the stand looks exactly the same minus the logo. I'd go with whatever has the best warranty.

4. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Cheers for the quick replies. After seeing LG's new ultra wide announcement,I think I'm going to hold off for now until I see the pricing.

5. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I also have the X34P. Great pic quality etc. Probably on par with the Alenware. I'v owned a few Dell monitors and every one of them were top notch. If warranty and support are important to you, go with Alienware. No better support anywhere, in my humble opinion. I had an LG 34" 3440 x 1440 IPS curved ultra wide. It too had a super pic quality. Then it died on me, so I was going to order the Alienware, but I had to wait over a week for delivery. I needed a monitor "now", so I went with the Predator. I couldn't be happier. For me, 1st choice would be Alienware [best support], with 2nd being the Predator X34P.

6. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Thanks for the information. So tempted to just buy it as it's only £649 but it sounds like a load of new monitors are coming out soon with micro LED. Would I notice that big of a difference with the x34p, in terms of image quality (colors/contrast/black levels), to a Dell S2716DG?

7. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I think you will see a difference in black levels etc.using the X34P primarily because of the myriad settings in the monitor controls. It took me a while to get it the way I wanted thanks to a Guru member giving me advice on how to set it up. If you're looking at price, go with the Predator. If you want dependable support, go with Alienware. I don't believe anyone would see much of a difference in image quality etc. between the Alienware and, or Predator. Remember, this is just my opinion. Others may see it differently. Pun intended.lol.

8. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Cheers for the reply. I've decided to hold off for nowe as the predator only has a 3 month warranty as it's a refurb so might as well go for the ALienware. I've got a feeling though that they are going to announce a new verison of it soon so might hold off for now.

It's crazy how old OLED is now and yet there are still no gaming monitors that have near that level of brightness, colors and contrast but with gaming features (gsync, high refresh etc.)