Hardware or Driver issue?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darkiron, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Darkiron

Darkiron New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 SLI
    Hello All,

I am looking for some feedback before I consider doing a RMA for my 8800 GTs. I will attempt to provide as many details as possible.

So with a fresh install of windows XP sp3 and the latest 175.16 drivers, when I attempt to play fear or run 3dmark06 (with AA 8, quality 2) my system freezes or artifacts :bang:. When I drop the drivers back to 169.44 beta, I can run 3dmark06 fine but same problem happens with fear. It use to run fine and around the time I got my second 8800GT it started up. I am thinking of going all the way back to Dec 07 or Oct 07 whql drivers to see if that clears it up.

I should also mention that COD4 works some of the time too, though other games like Mass Effect or Rainbow Six play fine.

Any help?

Cheers,

2. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    its driver issue probably, try the latest whql (175.19 i think) or the 177.41 (u can find them in this thread)

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Have you checked your fan speed or the temperature of your card? You can use GPU-Z, RivaTuner or EVGA's Precision Tool, among others, to do so.

In case one of the older drivers doesn't solve the problem for you and your temperatures/fan speed seems to be ok, I would RMA it, tbh.

4. Darkiron

Darkiron New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 SLI
    Neither has really gotten over 60 Celsius since I installed a duorb on each card. I will post back in a few after trying the older drivers. I really don't want to have to RMA them. Shipping will cost me 40 bucks and BFG takes forever; thank goodness for lifetime warranties.

Cheers

5. Darkiron

Darkiron New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 SLI
    Update

Hello All,

So with a fresh install of windows and using different drivers, I tested fear again. Each card would artifact the very first benchmark and then would run fine(at least 6 successful runs). However, trying SLI failed every time. I could not make it half way without it freezing. Now this raise a question that I am incapable of answering. Can the Mobo affect sli? Could it be my board that is toast? I happen to have to SLI cables and it happens with either so I doubt it could be a cable issue. Anymore thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,

6. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    I had the same problem on my 8800GT, 3dmark06 crashed or had artifacts, black screens or bsod´s. Try finding another bios for youre card, could actually help. For me only my standard bios worked, others had even more issues. Different bios´s have different ram timings in them for the card?! For me it wasnt heat, had 48c idle/60c load. Go to "m v k t e c h.net" if you want to download bios´s. And use nibitor to check em out, or edit em.

Ps. Have you tried to disable the other card to see if that erases youre issues?? If you havent, then try that first.

7. Darkiron

Darkiron New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 SLI
    @HaZe303: Yes, I have disabled the other card (software). I have also removed each card and tried them separately. They each work fine by themselves. Both my cards have the same factor bios. Also, there does not appear to be any newer bios for my OC2 version.

Does anyone know if the mobo could be impacting the sli performance?

8. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SC @ 680/1700/2020
    Try to test the cards without the SLi connector linky thinger.

9. Darkiron

Darkiron New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 SLI
    Why?

So I tried without the sli connector....same thing

:bang:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  10. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    Two things I can think of:

1) Your mobo needs a more recent bios
    2) Your PSU is having trouble when running SLI.

That PSU should be able to handle 2 8800GTs (unless faulty) so start with updating to the latest bios for your mobo (1201).

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N-E SLI

If that doesn't help see if you can try with another PSU. I don't think it's the VGA cards as both of them run fine in single mode.