Hardware manufacturers removing game branding from AMD products?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is Sapphire. I buy from them for years. They'll get more sales.
    If it is confirmed that particular brand is cooking such thing on AMD, it will affect their other product sales as well.

Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, hopefully the AMD-specific OEMs can help counteract the impact of the GPP (assuming the worst-case interpretation is true). I've bought cards from Sapphire before, although my RX 580 is from MSI (I like the look of the Twin Frozr cooler). My Nvidia cards are almost always from EVGA, which is exclusively Nvidia, so I guess I can do the same with AMD and one of their exclusive OEMs. Perhaps this won't be as bad as it seems.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is that I see nothing bad at brands which sell only from one manufacturer.
    But idea that someone sells both camps and belittles one is disgusting. They are either proud of their product or they should not sell it.

It is similar to Lenovo selling AMD's APUs in horrible configurations crippling performance and more.
    Because it is harming AMD as a brand.

5. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    So long as these AMD "non-gaming" designs still feature all the bells and whistles that raise them above the reference design, I doubt it would make a difference.
    I for one couldn't give a damn if my GPU didn't feature Gaming logos and RGB diodes all over the place so long as it performs well.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    True, we as an enthusiast community are well informed and it wouldn't make a difference. However, you have a lot of folk out there who go online or in a store and they think there is a difference between X GPU and GAMING X GPU. In which case they hold more value to GAMING X GPU.

Sure we could educate them about being "marketed" but the truth is that brand hold value. And it does mean something to a PC gaming consumer.

Only time well tell where this leads to though.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't see the problem since both Polaris and Vega was a major letdown.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    :D Man, you would not have problem if AIB took dump, shaped it as AMD's logo. Took it's photo and placed it on Graphics card box.

There are not many more funnier things than your comments around... sadly.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's sad that people are so worked up over words on a box or plastic. I care about what the product is, not what the product is called.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok so even if it has started to change branding was all those bs 10 page long threads really worth the further division in consumers ranks?

I am a bitch like that too I would no way in hell want my competitor to have any thing looking like my box except being rectangle
    if I was not the market leader in a 2 horse race I would be pissed it would be changed for obvious reasons

so it all depends who I was in the market place if I was pissed or not

airbud7 and Noisiv like this.

11. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    You know what pi$$es my of after soooooooooooo many years following tech companies like AMD, INTEL, 3DFX, ATI, Nvidia, Cyrix...................... That AMD get's fuc**** and still fights. I'm in my later 30's and considered an old geezer but when will AMD catch a break? If anyone ran AMD even the best CEO AMD would of filed for bankruptcy. Now Lisa has to handle not just the CPU area but that overrated idiot that sold out AMD and is now working for INTEL. If anyone follows AMD it just blows my mind how they are still a running company with all this unfair Bull-$hit.

plywood99 likes this.
  12. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I support both companies, and I must say AMD radeon have come a far way. This BS from Nvidia trying to play unfair just like Intel! Why? then you people that defend a company like that to the end? Why?

Competition is good, hope Intel start getting into discrete video cards as well the more the better!

The Nvidia fanboys will suffer in the end. (prices will only go up, and I will find another hobby)

JAMVA likes this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte need to invest a certain amount of money to manufacture and sell custom AMD GPU video cards. They obviously want to make as much profit as they can after the investment. Thus they wouldn't hurt their own sales. Of course if Nvidia directly paid them billions not to sell AMD video cards at all, they might accept the deal, but obviously Nvidia would do no such thing. So, any demands from Nvidia must still be within economic reason, one way or another. Nvidia must be able to explain to these companies how these branding things make sense and profit. I find it ridiculous these multi-billion companies would simply accept demands that would hurt them. In fact seeing how successful Nvidia has been, both in making good GPUs and selling them, how could they suddenly be so stupid they would sabotage their own business partners for no reason?

Noisiv likes this.
  14. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    By me they could sell VGAs totally bulk in an anti-static bag and no cooler at all or ram and vrm only, and sell em 200€ cheaper...

FranciscoCL and Aura89 like this.
  15. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Polaris offered same performance and more VRAM for less money -> better than mid NV cards (GTX 1060 3 and 6GB). Vega 56 beat 1070 (even in NV supported games, they performed the same), and NV decided to release 1070 Ti they never did before. Why? Because AMD made a card about 1,5 year later then the release of 1070 which beat it by 10% or so, and they just couldn't bear it.

16. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I was reading about this last week, with nVidia laying claim to AIB's branding with black mail and bribing like further discounts on their chips and having priority on allocation of chips, if nVidia lay claim to MSI Gaming, ASUS ROG, Gigabyte Arorus etc, it's a brand the AIB partners have been building up for years and have poured millions into, and nVidia wants to claim it for themselves? It is a dick move and i can see down the line anti competitive practices much like Intel, with HP and Dell. Guess AMD will be getting another 1 billion dollar cash injection. I guess nVidia are shitting them selves when their market share decreased from 72.8% to 66.3% but yeah people are buying more AMD graphics cards.... but thats for mining and absolutely nothing to do with gaming.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    AMD will be fine .....can you say xbox1/ps4/ryzen.... threadripper!...them folks got some bragging rights over there......

nothing will slow AMD down now......Nothing!

18. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    It's as almost as if AMD was destined forever be in the bible book, AMD SHALL NEVER CATCH A BREAK. HE WHO SHALL NOT GIVE UP SHALL DESERVE TO KEEP GETTING SERVED CHALLENGES AND UNFAIRNESS UNTIL THEY GIVE UP AND FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY. We can all honesty say no other company would ever make it this far like AMD. They never give up. A true ROCKY (movie) story.

19. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    whilst on the subject of gpu cards, have you noticed that the warranty's on some cards have gone back to 2 yrs ? :(

The word game, gaming has been abused by many manufactures, its a joke!

Go Gigga -

Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 - RX 580 Gaming Box

:);):p:D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If I was the CEO of a video card manufacturer and naturally knew most of the sales go to bloody miners running the cards with nearly full load for 24/7, I most certainly would be extremely tempted to shorten the warranty period. It would make a lot more sense than switch to much more expensive components being able to stand such abuse with 99.9% certainty for years.