1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware dedicated firewall and VPN

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by allesclar, Jan 16, 2019.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hey all,

I currently have a ISP provided router (which acts as DHCP and other functionality including the firewall and blocking by schedule etc), which connects to 2 24 port switches.

Is it worth me getting a separate firewall device to restrict access to the home network? So i can restrict Wifi guests from getting on the home network, ie block from specific IP range onto home network via separate firewall?

This is the firewall i had in mind which has separate connections for WANs etc.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/FVX538v2.aspx#docs

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SweenJM likes this.
  2. SweenJM

SweenJM Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590x nitro
    It will work, but i would go with one that is all gigabit. Just remember not to double NAT yourself and you should be fine. Check out Partaker R7 (or R3 if you don't need sfp or 8 ethernet). Pfsense is a great way to do what you are wanting. If you don't want to deal with all that, look at D-link DSR-500.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    wouldnt bother with that device, prosafe is dead, and so are the potential for updates to it. The throughput is garbage.

Get an openwrt router for next to nothing, set up vlans.

allesclar likes this.
  4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I did get the prosafe in the end but what openwrt routers would you recommend for "next to nothing"?

thankyou.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    How is it?

I use a BT home hub 5 flashed with openwrt which I got for £20, but you may enjoy the Linksys wrt ones or a ubiquiti edgerouter lite, iv used both, loved the edgerouter lite and its for peanuts with excellent throughput.

allesclar likes this.