Hardware decoders

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by seven50three, Feb 6, 2010.

1. seven50three

seven50three New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    I am looking to buy a soundcard (Xonar D1 or DS are at the top of the list right now) for my computer but I am a little confused about Dolby & DTS hardware decoders. Are they necessary to get the full range of sound from Dolby or DTS encoded sources if I am using an analog set of speakers? I have the Logitech X-540s. I have read a lot of forum posts saying it doesn't matter about hardware decoders if the output is going thru an analog connection. I use my computer for movies mostly and games now and then so I dont want to miss out on any of the available sounds. I guess what I need is a laymans explanation of the function of hardware decoders and the difference in how analog and digital audio is handled.

2. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
  3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Digital decoders, are used to decode S/Pdif input for say Dolby Digital or DTS. They can also be internal software routines for decoding surround tracks from DVD..etc.
    Many new cards are coming with digital ENCODERS, which take whatever audio is sent to the card and encode it to Dolby Digital or DTS.

If your using analog speakers, then your don't really need to worry about these decoders or encoders. The decoders you would need for your DVD's etc are part of your software filters and either installed with your player or through filter packs.
    If for instance you were considering connecting the card to a receiver through a digital connection then you could enable the digital DTS enoder to encode all your audio intot he DTS format and send it over the digitalconenction to your receiver to decode.

I think I will leave it there....