Hardware acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SaiBork, Aug 5, 2021.

1. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Anyone else having issues with GPU hardware acceleration?

In my mail client (Mailbird) and Playnite I'm having issues where the display of items doesn't load properly straight away and I either need to move slower or reselect items.

When I disable the hardware acceleration in the programs it behaves normally.

I just installed this 3080 Ti FE in this machine, it didn't have this issue in another machine.

Issue occurs with 471.11 and also after updating to 471.41. Tried to use DDU and reinstall 471.41 as this machine had a 1080 Ti in it before, so I thought I'd try, but made no difference.

Windows 10, 21H1 with latest updates, no insider builds/updates.

https://imgur.com/a/AZQWTlw (IMG tag seems broken, so linking it as well)
    [​IMG]

I've done some limited gaming with it, but that seems fine. Tested some Control with RTX and DLSS on and didn't have any issues.

HAGS is off

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Odd. Are you using Scaling that isn't 100% or are you forcing any form of Anti-Aliasing, anisotropic filtering or similar via the global driver profile (or the profile for that particular application), by any chance?

3. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Nope, just default settings in control panel, just changed settings afterwards to improve quality by default and power management to max perf, but issue was already there before those changes. I just checked and DST Factors was enabled on the global profile and pressed "Restore" to reset all settings including above. This set DSR to Off on global profile, but the issue is still here.

Restarted after the above, same issue
    Turned HAGS on, restarted, still same issue

-----
    Update on items tested in the meantime
    I have three monitors, all display port. 2x 75Hz, 1x60Hz

Connected single monitor, same issue
    Set all three monitors to 60Hz, same issue
    Set PhysX processor to CPU just in case, same issue

Disabled Hardware Acceleration for Windows, works as it disables it globally
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    DWORD: DisableHWAcceleration
    Value: 1

Changed value back to 0 and the issue is back.

Reboots after all of these things.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    SaiBork likes this.

5. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Disabled and stopped the service, open applications still had the issue. Rebooted and so far it seems to be resolved.

Astyanax to the rescue!

------
    Update
    The applications seem fine, however hardware acceleration is still causing issues with my browser (Vivaldi 4.1.2369.15) when I watch Youtube videos. It's as if once in a while the whole browser refreshes/flashes. When disabling hardware acceleration it's gone. Very short test with Firefox and Edge don't show the issue.

-----
    Update 2
    Found some pieces online where others have this as well with Vivaldi

My tests + results
    Screen 1 is a 60 Hz screen (can "OC" to 75 Hz), Windows actually says 60.000 and custom 75.000 Hz
    Screen 2 and 3 are 60 and 75 Hz capable, Windows sees these as 59.951 + 74.924 Hz
    I have screen 2 in the middle and is primary screen and also the one playing the video.

With hardware acceleration on:
    Screen 1, 60 Hz, screen 2+3 at 75 Hz (my default setting): Flickering occurs
    Screen 1, 2 and 3 at 60 Hz: Flickering does not seem to occur
    Screen 1, 2 and 3 at 75 Hz: Flickering does occur
    Screen 1 and 2 at 60 Hz, screen 3 at 75 Hz: Flickering does not occur, not on screen 2 or 3 (or A LOT less frequent)
    Screen 1 and 3 at 60 Hz, screen 2 at 75 Hz: Flickering does occur, but less frequent

No G-sync in use

-----
    Update 3
    Updated Vivaldi to 4.1.2369.16 and issue still occurs.

Disconnected screens 1 and 3, so only middle screen is in use. Same thing happens.
    60 Hz, no flickering/reloading of Vivaldi interface, 75 Hz it does happen.

-----
    Update 4
    One of the users mentioned setting desktop background to solid color and so far this actually seems to work.....
    All testing done with the Nahimic service disabled.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Stop using VSS it is absolute horsesh*t. Get real audio hardware.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can't speak for vivaldi, i've never used it but browsers generally should have variable refresh preffed off if any of the monitors support it.

I could only relate to the imgur link you posted since i was stumped by a few user reports of the same until i stumbled across issue 707

The vivaldi issue may be linked to multiplane overlays.

8. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    I usually disable nahimic service and also dts services. Also iCue loves to run not needed plugins that you don't even use (like corsair gaming audio service or msi plugin service). I use neither a corsair headset nor any msi hardware. I always recommend to disable those. Alongside with Sysmain if you use a SSD/M.2 as OS drive.

9. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    I dont use it, it's just part of the motherboard and thus is installed. And ITX doesn't really give space for additional hardware. Also, your post isn't going to resolve the issue as the service runs whether it's in use or not. Normally it does no harm, so why would I disable it.

I usually disable THX because with Razer (again, even when not in use) it loves crashing in the background. And in iCue4 I disable the plugins option as I only need it for my keyboard.

I can see more people having the Vivaldi issue, so I'll post at Vivaldi as well.

Also found this old article from 2019....
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/15/fix-google-chrome-screen-flashing-on-windows-10/

10. TAGTRAUM

TAGTRAUM Member

GPU:
    Aorus Xtreme 3080Ti
    I have EVGA Audio pro 7.1 and nahimic and latest windows and 3080, no issues with HW acceleration here

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    everyone with the latest windows updates and a nahimic supported audio driver has this issue on WPF C# applications.

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Because its useless, malware, and lowers overall sound quality. Granted, it does make it sound "different." Thats about it. Totally useless software.

13. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Nahmic software that comes on my ASUS B550-F motherboard also needs to be installed if I use the built-in audio card.

This causes input latency in games, and like TimmyP says, and basically ruins the gaming experience.

This is part of why I love using a DAC/AMP.

Using a USB DAC let's you not need to install the on-board audio drivers, and I actually completely disable my on-board audio via the BIOS. This way I get less input latency or lag spikes as a result, and I don't even have to install all the bloatware drivers.

Even if you can disable the bloatware via Device Manager, and disable the services... it's still a pain, and feels as though it still alters the system in a less than ideal way.

Not to mention that using an external DAC also increases the overall quality of the sound dramatically. Music sound infinitely better with my Fiio E10K than it does with the on-board headphone jack, and you can hear all the small details of sounds with much more clarity.

Plus I don't need to install any special drivers myself with a DAC like the Fiio E10K... Windows 10 does it automatically for you, when you plug one in.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm + Fiio E10K is so much better than any "gaming headset", and it's much better than on-board audio.

TimmyP likes this.
  14. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Most of the time I use a USB wireless headset and thus don't use the onboard Realtek chip, but when I use my normal speaker set then it does use the Realtek chipset. This works fine for me and I have no issues with the quality.
    I've now reinstalled Windows 10, haven't had time to test yet as I'm running Windows 11 without issues on another partition. Something was not right with that Windows 10 install and couldn't be bothered wasting more time on all the above little issues. It probably has something to do with driver updates somewhere and a combination of the ones in use. I'm using the same GPU drivers, Vivaldi and other software that was showing the issues and none show it now in Windows 11. Most likely wont show in reinstalled Windows 10 either with the current setup.

15. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    You say it's useless, but for me it has the best 5.1 upmix I eve heard. And it works only stereo sources.

16. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Since this morning the Youtube causing Vivaldi flickering has returned. Installed nothing since yesterday apart from a new monitor.
    Disabled HDR on the new monitor, made no difference.
    Uninstalled monitor drivers to just run it as standard plug-and-play, again no difference.

No Nahimic stuff has been installed, services haven't changed since yesterday.

For now I've disabled hardware acceleration in Vivaldi

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    monitors don't have drivers anyway, all that inf on disk does is copy a icc profile

18. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    I know, but as not much changed otherwise I thought I'd give it a go either way.

Updated Nvidia drivers 471.68, but no difference (as expected)