hardware accelerated GPU scheduling HAGS causes my system to restart without BSOD

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jen1, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    I thought I share my experience with you here also, original thread is here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...re-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-hags-causes-my/

I already made a bug report!

It is difficult to explain the issue, cause it is not predictable, it happens almost rarely, it happened without any warning, without BSOD or any log whatsoever.

Here is the kicker, not once it happened during heavy CPU/GPU load, always during medium or low CPU/GPU load. so it is definitely not heat as I was suspecting as there are no logs or BSOD.

Since I installed Windows 2004 in July (2 months now) and I am having every other day sometimes every 2 days but not once more than that, without any warning or any sign, without any logs or any clue, my system will just freeze for 2 seconds and the playing sound will stuck in these 2 seconds, and the system will just restart, without showing or logging anything.

I have tried every NVIDIA driver/hotfix and every windows update since July and nothing fix the issue.

I have suffered a lot, and I couldn't address the issue, but it was bearable cause it happens every other day.

Until last weak it started to happen twice a day, and then it was annoying and I thought I should disable HAGS as a test and it has been 6 days now and not once I had the sudden restart. So I can say with 99% certainty that the issue has been fixed

One more thing, I have noticed that my 2 monitors used to blink black many times every time I open NVIDIA control panel, after I disabled HAGS the NVIDIA control panel will open now without any blinks. That gave me the impression that HAGS could the cause of the sudden restart

I think the issue (not sure) could have something to do with the fact I have added an unsupported resolution to the external TV as NVIDIA driver can't work with my TV with the higher or native resolution, but for sure it has been fixed now after I disabled HAGS. Again it may not be the cause, but it is a thing I did, and it works fine now with HAGS disabled.

My system
    MSI GT83VR 7RF Titan SLI
    CPU I7 7820HK
    GPU Nvidia1080 Mobile 2X in SLI configuration

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Win10 (and Win8, IIRC) does not show BSOD by default, it just restarts. But this behaviour is configurable.

Jen1 likes this.
  3. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    I had another BSOD and I could address the issue immediately due to Intel RST driver, and that was in windows 2004 also

But in this case nothing, the behavior let me suspect the audio driver, cause always when playing sound and the sound will stuck during the 2 second freeze, but it turned out it was HAGS, so far problem solved

4. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats not a bug report, its a post on a forum that isn't a constantly monitored feedback channel.

BSODS due to HAGS are mostly hardware with inconsistent power states or weird ACPI (mainboard) behavior.

Fill it out: https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

Jen1 likes this.
  6. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    I made a bug report and linked the thread, using the google form

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    turn on kernel dumps and reproduce it, then and zip up c:\windows\memory.dump then mail a google drive link for it to driverfeedback@nvidia.com

Caesar and Jen1 like this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    To find the offending driver/module try this
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

For each crash, BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file description, and file version).

Jen1 likes this.
  9. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    Hey guys, thanks for the tips, but as I said there is nothing, no logs, no error messages, no memory dump, no bsod, nothing, it is like pressing the reset button on your computer.

I had another issue with Intel RST and I could address it immediately

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Jen1 likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if theres no dump file then its either power related, or the cpu is encountering a triple fault exception. - or you don't have a pagefile enabled.

Jen1 likes this.
  12. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    I am trying now the new driver 456.38 and there is a good sign

Each driver I tried before, both my monitor will blank black many times when opening NVIDIA control panel, after I disabled HAGS the monitors are not blanking anymore when opening NVIDIA control panel.

Now with the new driver 456 I have enabled HAGS and the monitors are not blanking anymore when opening NVIDIA control panel, maybe it is fixed now, I will return for sure.

But I can say with 99.99% certainty the issue was fixed when I disabled HAGS before, as it has been 7 days without any restart

I should have said they fixed an issue
    [Notebook]: When a game is played on the primary display and a YouTube video is played onthe extended display, video playback is sluggish and stutters. [200586262

And I always open YouTube videos on my second monitor, I hope it is it

13. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    People keep bringing this up and I keep doing my best to nicely say you need to give HAGS time to grow - at this time it's relatively new & not for gaming.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Wasn't there some issue related to video playback and dual displays but it sounds like NVIDIA might have corrected it. (Maybe two issues one for dual display systems and another for video playback though I think a earlier driver might have already attempted to improve on either or both of these.)

Was going to suggest trying without SLI as well but if it works with the new drivers that's not needed either. :)

Wonder how well tested this scheduler change is with dual GPU setups actually although NVIDIA does still support multi-GPU even if a lot of profiles from the release notes mention it's for Turing which I think uses NVLink but that's more about bandwidth isn't it?

Well probably Microsoft would keep the SLI/Crossfire utilization in mind so the thread stuff isn't half-half on either GPU due to alternate frame rendering and how it manages from frame to frame, if that's even possible.
    (Or NVIDIA corrected something with this driver but it might have been entirely unrelated to multi-GPU functionality too.)

Jen1 likes this.
  15. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    One thing was annoying me a lot and I wanted to report, is that every time I change project mode (PC screen only / duplicated / extended / second screen only) both screens will blink for 1 or 2 seconds, and the sound will be muted on the second screen.

In the driver 456 this issue fixed without even reporting :) , now it will change the project mode immediately without even a millisecond blink, the sound will not go off in the second monitor, I hope this a good sign. @ManuelG thank you guys at NVIDIA for this I hope you keep it like this

The best driver ever regarding this pions

Everyone knows that, this why I started 2 threads in 2 forums, to share my experience hopefully it will help someone, and that is why tech companies bug us and even force us with telemetry.

If no one will test new technologies we will not advance ever ;)

K.S. likes this.

16. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    Okay.. well best of luck fellow tester :)
    Check out https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796 you can modify the different dumps as well as the information given at the time of BSODS as well as stopping the system from resetting itself if you want to take time and notate the errors (in the event it isn't logging them as it should)

If I recall right among different things it is a collective of different group policies (local) behind a nice clean gui (reg hacks) etc that let you modify Win 10 to your personal liking basically.

Jen1 likes this.
  17. Jen1

Jen1 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 3x SLI
    Today I took a nap, when I woke up my laptop did restart, unfortunately I did not see how it did restart, if it froze the 2 seconds and restart as it used to be, anyhow no memory dumps or logs neither.

HASG is off again, will check it later, thanks you guys for the tips and advice.

Edit: not the monitors sometimes will blank when changing protect mode :(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020