1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard lock, bluescreen, or restarting

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by circeseye, Aug 23, 2016.

1. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    im in a heck of a delema. i know its windows 10 causing it cause i never had this issue with 7. now ive had 10 now for close to a year. started as it tryed to update when restart would hang.(windows problem it finally fixed itself)
    then random game crashes video shut off (driver crashes, fixed)
    now its eather complete restarts, hard locks or bluescreens in games
    checking the logs its the ntoskrnl.exe+9d445 causing the bluescreens. :bang:

ive went through and benched and tested everything (video, cpu, ram and psu) did all testing programs, the benches, burn ins programs there are to try to get it to crash or bluescreen. nope only in certain games games (mainly ones i play) and every once in a while while using silverlight to watch video. (netflix)
    i even removed all the drivers and put in newest if there were any. (i keep them up to date) and had windows check itself and repair if there was anything.
    also nothing is overheating.
    im at my wits end here :bang:

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Anything overclocked?

3. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    Yep....Sounds like a clear cut case of unstable over clock or unstable hardware. It could even be the gpu being defective. If your pc crashes while under stress like in a heavy game usage IT NOT A WINDOWS ISSUE! Im sorry but either your pc is not set up correctly (could be bios settings), over heating, or faulty hardware. (cpu,mb,gpu,power supply) Could be anyone of these being the issue! A windows issue will usually crash directly after a driver change or update....Your type of crash is hardware based!

Your at your wits end cause your looking for a fix in the wrong places. If you have NO parts to swap out, trouble shooting can be very difficult. At the very least see if it has issues running everything at stock speeds.

Try under clocking your system memory and or relaxing the timings. Then under clock everything one thing at a time like the gpu, and then the cpu and see what effect it has. Get a meter and measure the voltage rails on your power supply while its under heavy load and report back.

Windows 10 uses almost double the system memory at times so its very possible your ram is unstable.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  4. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    dont have anything overclocked. even have ram underclocked to 1600 instead of 1866.
    i will try loosening the times and downclocking the gpu and cpu to see what happens.
    and do a manual test of psu. i ran all the software ones that tests voltages and each showed normal.
    forgot to mention it doesnt happen all the time. its random what makes it so frustrating. and its always the ntoskrnl.exe+9d445 that comes up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    try down clocking memory to 1333mhz as well......with it being random bsods in games much hunch is memory related....How many stocks of ram you have? Can you try running with only 1 or 2 stick at a time and see if issues goes away? could be one of the sticks has issues....it does happen.

Also give a lot of thought to any questionable bios settings....one setting can be be the difference between perfect and random bsods as well. I havent owned a AMD setup in years so main thing to come to mind would be as you said adjusting ram to cas 2 instead of 1.....anything that COULD effect stability. Well figure it out easy enough...dont worry!

You could even try switching ram to different slots possibly or one of the slots has gone bad...lots of stuff can be tried

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    ok turns out technically its not the ntoskrnl.exe thats causing the bsods. it turns out its EasyAntiCheat.sys. from what ive read apparently its accessing memory it shouldnt be accessing causing the bsod. and is a known issue for a couple years now (sad). funny thing is if i play a game after a restart all is good. BUT if i had a browser up and watched a video in it anytime before i play a game bsod.
    btw figured it out changing out ram and moving it to the other 2 slots. so old or new ram it came up.
    dont know where to go from here. looks to be easyanticheats screw up

7. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    its defiantly possible but if its not crashing on other peoples systems why is it crashing on yours? And why is it only happening when your gaming? I have heard the same conclusion about punkbuster before honestly. You COULD have a bad motherboard as well.

I will say that doing a clean proper install of windows is needed to fix crashing once the pc as crashed a few times. Its like they get hidden data corruption that is unfix able without a squeaky clean new windows install. (My kids laptop is like that)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Report it to the developers if you can. This is the problem with having anti-cheat stuff in a kernel driver.

9. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590

oh they know about it. just from what ive researched they havent fixed it. been happening to people since win 7. did some testing and yes every game with easyanticheat will bsod. any game without runs just fine. im still confused thou why as long as i do a restart and then play its fine. but if i do anything that has to do with video. (youtube,netflix fb what ever) and play a game....boom bsod.

10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    It would be nice to test if your pc still got the bsod if not using your current video card.......You know so we could totally rule out that it has any effect one way or the other.

11. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    i will have to see about that. see if my nephew will let me barrow his to test since he has the same card just different company (his is sapphire)

12. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    argh. ok when did driver sweeper stop? apparently all this time it was a corrupt piece of video driver that kept getting missed. only reason i finally figured it out was after doing the full driver uninstall then went into safe mode used driver sweeper and when i went back into windows i could actually count the pixels on the screen. (like it was running in 100x100 or something. i could even see my icons on the desktop just blown up).
    that when i figured out something was not getting deleted. downloaded ddu in safe mode and ran it. restarted and clean screen. ok installed new video drivers. restarted and comp got quieter.
    now can watch video, play a game, hell have anything open in multiple no crash bsod nothing.
    and all this headache because i didnt realize driver sweeper got replaced with ddu. :(

messed up part of it all. in all the logs it never showed it was a driver error. and to keep looking there. but to look to other areas wth

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016