Hard drive problems?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vipk, May 1, 2009.

1. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    I hope you guys can help me out here.

My cousin just bought a completely new rig but it has been causing problems from day one.

Games will lock up at random, the computer might simply restart on it's own while playing a game, etc.
    The weird thing is that often installing a game that is over a few gigabytes will result in the installation to fail somewhere in the middle. If he tries it again, usually after a reboot, it will quickly get to the percentage it failed previously and continue slowly from there. So it basically takes at least two installs to get it right.

After checking the temperatures and asking the standard questions about drivers and whatnot I started thinking this could be a disk or a RAM problem?

Ofcourse I am hoping for some opinions from you guys.

Also: can somebody recommend me a good hard drive scanning tool? Or should scan disk be enough?

Thank you for your help;)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it's rebooting at random without BSOD it could be the PSU. If it happens at the same point all the time it could be hard drive.

You really need to post your mates specs for anyone to be able to make an intelligent assessment.