1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Problem, Should I Try a New SATA Cable 1st?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Masterblaster79, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    So, I'm having some problems with my computer lately and I wanted to get some advice. Basically I'm getting 3 different symptoms that I'll list below.

1. I've gotten this error when trying to boot. "A 3rd Master Disk Error Has Occurred"

2. I've also gotten this. "A disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart?

3. Lastly I've seen where I'll be surfing the net and my computer will just freeze. I believe it's related because when that happens, you can't hear any hard drive activity at all (you know the "grinding" noise that you can hear, for lack of a better term.) I wait about 10 seconds and then it unfreezes back to normal.

The reason I'm asking about trying a new cable is because I went in and reseated it before and the problem went away for about a month. Until this morning and it came back. I ran a couple of HDD diagnostics and nothing showed up. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Yes, try replacing SATA cables first...

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Wouldn't. Hurt to start saving all your important data from that drive. Sounds like its going to me. Regardless off no disk errors

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Would try different cables and get data off of it ASAP (as above).

Have you tested for bad sectors using HD tune?

5. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Ok thanks for the info guys. I hadn't heard of HD Tune I'll have to try that.

6. lunan

lunan Member

GPU:
    ATI 3870
    backup first. either your HD going or your motherboard. best case scenario would be the cable.

check event viewer ASAP if you have windows (especially win 7, will tell you what ID error and the explanation)

after that, do scan with HD Tune, see if any bad sector comes up.

then report here again :D