Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scorpion, Mar 8, 2006.

1. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    Hey, i'm having a small issue with my HDD. All of a sudden last night i saw a log in eventvwr stating "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D".

I ran S.M.A.R.T and my hard drives are fine, the performance of the computer hasn't changed, though i decided to run a defrag on Harddisk0, which is not the OS drive, data drive only, and it finished the defrag no problems though thats when that error appeared. Once of, never seen it before. If it has some sort of error, i would of expected it to BSOD, specially during a defrag.

I had a close look and i kinda relised that my fan control most likely is loose for some reason, and one side of it is actually just BARELY touching the hdd case and causing a vibrating sound. As soon as i touched the fan control the sound goes away. So its a bit hard to know whats making the noise though it seems to be a vibrating noise, though goes away once i put my finger on the fan control. I've got everything backed up, thats no problem.

\Device\Harddisk0\ = Relates to "disk 0" in Disk Management am i correct?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

//edit: Searched a bit on the net, found out that it could be either a IDE cable or power connector loose or faulty, could that be the case?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  2. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    bump....

Can anyone help?

3. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I'm confused. What are you wanting help with? Why you got that message? I've not the slightest clue.

4. Nazar78

Nazar78 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY88GT512 850/2000/2280
    Yeap, change your cable, i had it once on my raid set-up. Giving bsods few minutes during almost every defrag softwares, frequently dump errors on my event log. It was my old fashion ide 80pin cables wearing out. Change`em, it's back to perfect operations.

5. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the replies.

I opened the case and just made sure everything was sitting properly, and everything looked fine, I don't get BSOD, and it seems fine. The question i was asking what could be the cause of this? HDD has issues?

Also "\Device\Harddisk0\ = Relates to "disk 0" in Disk Management am i correct?"

6. Nazar78

Nazar78 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY88GT512 850/2000/2280
    As I mention, could be worn cables, could be hdd issues. Get the harddisk utility from maxtor's webby (I forgot it's name) and run it offline to determine your hdd goin bye┬▓. I use it not long ago on my WD though it's maxtor's. And yes \Device\Harddisk0 = Disk 0 which is your primary's master.

7. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks nazar. Seems to be working fine again now. Thats what i tough \device\harddisk 0 would be disk 0, though its not my Boot drive (OS), but its on the primary IDE port i think. Anyway, thnx for your help.