Hard drive Failure

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MisterWhippy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    I have in the past had a flash drive cease working. I gave up on it for years and kept it for posterity sake. About a year ago, I tried something (I forget what) and ended up getting it to work again. I still use it today, and even though it is an 8gb, it still works for minor stuff. It was like my computer just didn't recognize it.

I have a 1tb external HDD that recently started acting up. About 2 weeks ago, it just decided it would not be recognized. My PC thinks it is a removable drive similar to a SDHC card. I hear no spooling of the drive. The computer knows something is plugged in.

I don't dare reformatting, and during the time It died, I was fiddling with formatting items to fat32/32 b/sector.

I would LOVE to get the data off this drive. It is a laptop hard drive & is the newest hard drive I own....which is odd, because my current backup system uses a raid-1 of a pair of 500gb...each of these drives is over 10 years old.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to not lose everything on it....It is half full of EVERY console video game I have ever owned. All of my PSX - Xbox games were on it. I can live without it, but would love to hear others experience. I am now planning a network free raid-1 backup computer with 2-4 drives just for redundancy in the future. Something we all can use at the house for family photos etc.

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    are you not able to open up the enclosure and connect it via sata port to your system?

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Do above, possible USB power source fuse is blown causing drive to not power up.

They are standard sata drives so you can put it into a desktop and see if you can see it.

If you do that and it still does not power, you may swap PCB of the drive with the same model of a known working one.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  4. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    thanks for the responses, but it is dead. I don't think it is worth it to find/attempt to find another PCB for it either. It is not recognized by any computer I have tried with. I was lucky that some of my stuff was saved to my modded OG xbox.....I don't have "lots" of music, but just over 100gb & LOTS of games....basically every PSX & Xbox game I have ever owned. Sure, I have them on disc & on file within the modded system, but now I back to square one circa 2005 when most of them copies were made in the first place.

5. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Get yourself an external SATA kit and plug in your drive with it. After that get to use some tools like HDD tune pro or something and thoroughly check your drive for bad health. There is another way for that go to Windows Disk Management tool, delete partitions of your drive and delete and recreate them(format) is mandatory.