Hard drive dying?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by allesclar, Aug 21, 2020.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hey all,

Got a Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS SATA Hard Drive in one of my servers for data storage only.

Pulled it from an old Sky+ box. Did the original SMART, short and Long tests and everything passed.

Recently noticed when copying files over that whilst all my other drives are in the good copying transfer range of around 100MB/s+, this drive was sitting around the 6MB/s.

I have just done an Atto test on all the drives (the suspect one is still going....) before i do Seatools again.

Is it finally on its way out?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys use for image uploads?

Thanks

2. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    It could have a spot with nearly unwritable sectors, and the drive was marking those them as bad, and that slows things down. As a last resort try a full format. IIRC that can take care of marking any bad or questionable sectors as unwritable, so in the future the drive head just skips over them when writing in their area.

allesclar likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the files could have also been numerous less than 10MB's.

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hey,

Its a continuous 40GB file.

Kind regards

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, welp, thats definitely weak sector related.

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I would just replace the drive. If it's a 2tb model, replace it with a refurb Hitachi / HGST model. Look up what model it is (as there's a few models), and check if Backblaze has stats on it.
    You can get refurbished drives for under 40$ shipped, but it may make sense to get a newer, larger, and faster drive. Though Hitachi was always the gold standard in hard drive reliability, since it's changed over to HGST, that hasn't changed too much and drive failures are still almost always below 1%. Do not get another brand, just get Hitachi / HGST. Order a few if possible (especially if you do refurb drives), so you have spare or don't get held up with a DOA / bad unit (which happens).
    If you absolutely cannot afford to lose data, get a server with RAID 1 set up so you have a backup, and keep extra backups of your most important files. Use new drives if the files are precious and can't readily be re-downloaded from somewhere.
    Things start to get really expensive north of 6~8tb, so it may not pay to buy into more drive than that size. Get off Amazon by lot or by piece, or Ebay by lot - those two sites have best customer service regarding returns, RMA's for DOA drives, and lost packages in transit - and they also have good prices. If you get one that seems to emit a low rumble & or vibrate excessively (can feel it with hand on drive), send it back right away as the bearings will fail (had issues with WD RE / Black line drives 12 years ago like this, they had a bad run of RE drives around then).
    If you often use files on the server, consider migrating to an SSD based solution or a NAS with SSD's if you can afford it and your network speed is HIGHER than 1gbit / second. If you only have a 1gbit network solution at your home it's not going to take advantage of SSD solution as HDD's are normally able to keep up with that speed (though by nature of no moving parts, SSD is more reliable). I've amassed a few TB worth of extra 500gb SSD's I keep for storage here / cold backup drives here and they work well, so consider SSD's if finances aren't depicting HDD's only. SSD will not keep data forever like a HDD will though so be careful if you use them for cold (unhooked / non-powered when not used) storage. Toshiba MLC drives I tested unhooked for 9 months still held all data though.

I hope this disorganized mess of a post was somehow, some way helpful :)
    --Good luck buddy!
    *I bought a few refurb Hitachi Sata II HDD's in 2TB size a few years ago, they're almost indestructible unless you're careless and drop one, and still going strong. So order with confidence, but as anything with refurbs, best to get a few of them at once as if you hoard data like some of us do, you'll use them eventually.

allesclar likes this.