1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy 25th Birthday, Debian Linux!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by anticupidon, Aug 17, 2018.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Debian is one of the most important open source projects ever. The Debian Linux operating system is extremely popular in its own right, but also, it is used as the base for countless other distributions. Ubuntu, for instance -- one of the most-used distros -- is Debian-based. Even Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, also has a Debian edition. Not to mention, Raspbian -- the official Raspberry Pi OS -- which is based on Debian too.

Today, Debian is celebrating a very important milestone -- a 25th birthday!
    More here...https://bits.debian.org/2018/08/debian-is-25.html

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Yep. Debian is one of the invisible forces that drive the internet, pretty much. Every time you open your browser, your data goes through a crapton of machines running a Debian system.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
    how time flies, one of my go to distro's alongside suse and slack.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Sadly, people so easily forget who powers their daily lives, and the unsung hero is always there, moving a humongous amount of data, always on, always. Unix-Linux -BSD code.
    And even sadder, others claim the title, and some people just think it's true, it's on the internet- so must be true. From the moment we surrendered to the press - next, next, accept EULA mantra we've lost something invaluable:
    Our right to know and learn how the code works.

Maybe my opinion will offend some people - it is not my intention to, just expressing my opinion: Having, buying a computer doesn't make one knowledgeable. You need to start somewhere, it's true.
    But Blindows managed to open the doors for the world, just to slam into their faces -closed source - just press next, next, sign your soul and pay up the licence fee.

Thank God for the Free Software and Richard Stallman and others, they are the ones who are entitled to praises and eulogies.
    From the moment I saw the huge amount of code from the kernel, how MUCH knowledge smart people gave away for free I was so humbled; and disgusted about my ignorance and wicked, pirate ways. Just tossed ALL my pirated games and software in the trash bin, I realized that there is another way, maybe different, not better not worse.

I started to make some lines of code, and when I realized how much effort is made to make a simple program and someone just gives for free - just made me rethink all my computing philosophy.
    I started by rethink what I really need, find alternatives, no more piracy and started to donate to devs and projects. Paying up for software licences and remembering that "devs also must eat".

Since then I feel that somehow, in a small way I can give back to those who gave me SO much.
    And after more than a decade embracing this philosophy I can only say this:
    I Thank You Free Software, Gnu/Linux and all Open source projects out there.

Just my simple, honest opinion.