Hanging back on building my new rig, even though ive got the hardware.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pegasus1, Oct 18, 2019.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Anybody else ever bought all the components for a new rig but then just couldn't be bothered to build it???

Ok so i've decided to replace my 2700k (@5ghz) with a Ryzen 3800x and take advantage of upgrading the Sata SSDs and water loop while im at it.
    Mt Corssair 850w PSU is being replaced and il keep it as a spare. Il still be using the Tj07 ive had for years at its the best case ive ever had.

Ryzen 3800x
    32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum C16 3200
    Corsair MP600 PCIE4 M2 1TB SSD
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB SSD
    Asrock x570 Taichi
    Seasonic Focus 850w Platinum
    Plus two new rads and a new pump for the loop.

My problem is i've had the above for two weeks but due to getting back into DCS, i cant be bothered to replace my current hardware and the mini dramas that go with it.
    Ive built a lot of rigs in the past, going back to the early Athlon 1600 days but ive just seem to lost the drive to do this new rig.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why bother building? You already satisfied your purchase itch :) Not like you needed all the new hardware :p

I was eyeballing new hardware for a while now, but I just can't justify buying it.
    Perhaps I have very good "impulsive purchase itch resistance".

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I know what your saying, yes i loved my 2700k, had it since launch day but the 16gb RAM needs increasing plus being stuck with Sata SSDs is becoming a bind as i have M2 in my gaming laptop and going back to my main gaing rig its very noticeable now.
    I just need to get it built before DCS has a sale and the F18 becomes irresistible.
    As both the CPU and GPU are under water thats an added factor. I think il play my last missions tonight and start the strip down this weekend (hopefully)

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Happens to the best of us.
    Ich habe keine Lust, they say.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah I know this... I usually am quite wasteful, building a new rig besides the one I have, with a new case too. But I can understand the bother behind it, building a custom loop as well.

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Approach it as a form of nerd bonsai. Instead of rushing, take it slowly, manage everything inside perfectly — bit by bit every day.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    In my previous job it was easy, i worked overseas for 10-12 weeks at a time then have a month off back in the UK, building or rebuilding rigs was my therapy. I planned a build while away, to take my mind of things then start to order the hardware and it was all in my mancave when i got back.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Hmm. Perhaps some Vitamin D?

9. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I just put a x570 rig together with the 3800x.

Make the change. It’s an amazingly fast platform.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Im interested to see how much of a difference it makes over my i7 2700k.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ive worked in the middle east for 9 years and now live on the edge of the mediterranean, i'm all good with vitamin D ha ha ha ha

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  12. :D:D:D

13. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Yup I've been there too. It took me about a month to get my ITX pc with a 3900X build. I had all the parts ready, but the mood to build wasn't present. However I decided to set a date during a weekend when the wife was out and get the rig done. And so I did and now I am enjoying the machine.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Well ive started, stripped out the old components but while im waiting for some tools to arrive from the Uk im working on some changes to the Tj07 case. Ive added a blue perspex divider and backing adjacent to the motherboard tray, ive also added a 240 radiator to the roof but at the moment i can only fit one fan so il be ordering a half height one. Im amazed how much smaller the Seasonic 850w PSU is than the Corsair one it replaces, im assuming the efficiency improvement makes the use of a smaller cooling fan.

AsiJu likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I know what you mean, with all the other stuff that needs to be done IRL I really couldn't be bothered to rebuild my system atm, with the cable management and all.

I recently replaced my CPU from R5 1600 to R7 3800X and even that felt like a chore, lols.

But you'll surely see a huge improvement coming from Sandy Bridge, enjoy!

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Well its built, leak tested, W10pro is on and now adding basic progs. The PCIe 4 SSD is very quick. once ive got the rig up and running il finish adding a couple of panels i had to make and tidy up the internals and im good to go with some tweeks under the bonnet