Halo 3 not in HD - Confirmed! -

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Bani, Sep 30, 2007.

1. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    I know it's only wiki but...

Halo 3 utilizes a proprietary, in-house graphics engine, often referred to as the "Halo 3 Engine".[27] This engine builds upon the technologies of the Halo 2 Engine (and previously the Halo Engine) and is re-optimized for the architecture of the Xbox 360.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    This is the classic problem with consoles. The developers make the decision in quality of graphics rather than allowing users to do this (like in PC). How can you launch "THE BIGGEST GAME RELEASE EVER" and not have the game even in 720p? I mean come on. To the gurus saying you can't tell the difference in 640, 720, and 1080, I say you are crazy. I could immediately tell something was fishy with this games graphics immediately when I started playing. This is why consoles will never reach PC level in graphics, THEY DON'T HAVE THE HARDWARE.

Also does anyone have a link to the news that MS turned off AA for all games?

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Exactly mate, The Ps3 forums i visit had loads of MS trolls banging on about how great and how amazing halo was going to look and its completely oposite, game looks very mediocre, there are better looking 360 titles easily.

Considering Halo 3 is potentially a hardware selling game and could push 360 sales it was stupid of bungie to make mess ups like not making the game natively 720P as after seeing it for myself the jaggies are horrible and making the graphics very average. Guess what, the ps3 forums arent filled with so many trolls now are they, dont get me wrong its a great game but i was severly disapointed by the graphics quaility.

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    double_cut

I never said it wasnt optimized....

it doesnt change the fact that its still the same engine.

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Except it isn't the same engine, it says it's built on the tech of the Halo 2 engine but is obviously different enough to warrant the title "Halo 3 Engine" as opposed to the "Halo 2 Engine". If all three games used the same engine guess what it would be called? That's right, the Halo Engine. Hell if you actually play them you can tell they simply cannot be the same engine, even between Halo and Halo 2 the differences are huge.

“...rendered in real-time on the Xbox 360 using the current version of the Halo 3 engine.”

Not the Halo or the Halo 2 engine, the Halo 3 engine.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    There is a difference in building up of an engine and a completely unique engine. One good example is GTA3. Ever since GTA3 came out all Grand Theft Auto series has been built on the GTA3 engine with major improvements over the years. However when GTA4 comes out it will be based on a completely new engine from the ground up. Halo's engine is the same way, all of the games were built on the same basic engine but with major improvements over the years. So I guess you are both right in a way. However you shouldn't put so much validation in what Bungie names the engine, if they called it XR34 would that be any different than calling it the Halo 3 engine? It is called the Halo 3 engine to let the developers know which version of the Halo engine it is running. Similar to if you were talking about GTA:SA compared to Vice City.

When it all comes down to technical wording, Halo 3 is running on a modified version of the original Halo 1 engine.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  7. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    I guess the line is when does it become different enough to become classed as a different engine, the engine used in Halo 3 is the Halo 3 engine, that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I do appreciate there is a certain matter of perspective. What is done in Halo 3 could not have been done on the original Halo engine, all they had to do was use the 10MB of EDRAM on the GPU to give us the "free" 4x AA they promised at launch and I wouldn't even complain personally.

Sounds similar to the transition between the Quake engines, might be worth a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_3

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Your really expanding to far like ledhed said.

Take for example, Armed Assault, Same engine as OFP, but has alot more features and looks more pretty, But still is the same engine, same for ARMA 2, still the same OFP engine, but more features once again.

A new engine, is , From Scratch, writing a whole new game, with new code. Thers other games out ther,

For me i believe halo 1 2 and 3 are the same and playing the same, All they have changed is the physics numbersm textures and lighting effects (basiclly).