Halo 3 not in HD - Confirmed! -

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Bani, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    when comparing halo 1/2/3 screens halo 3 is clearly best looking out of em be it "low" rez or not o_O and the method they are using is weird like using 2x that 1152x640 on top of each other to do some effect

2. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Sections of Halo 2 running on the 360 with antialiasing etc enabled (not the original Xbox running Halo 2) look better than certain sections of Halo 3 because of the jaggies present in Halo 3. And the reason they do it this way is down to the HDR effect used in the game (which does look very nice btw).

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    lol photorealistic graphics? that is a joke right? oh well we can see the limits of the xenos

4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    The funny thing is this:

When Nintendo announced that the Wii will use 480p max, everybody complained about "bah.... no HD!!! <put rant here about kiddyness>".
    Now Halo 3 on an HD capable console isn't really HD and no one cares. :leave:

Uhmm.... yeah!

5. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    If the 360 is so easy to program for, and they are already having to cut the res for games to run at high enough framerates, does that mean the graphics are already at a max? I will at least give an excuse to the PS3 devs that want to get games out on time so they cut the framerate to 30, but cutting res on your biggest game...that's pretty weak on the developers side. It wouldn't make a difference when scaled to 1080 since it's still scaled even from 720p, but when you are on a native 720p monitor, it will be noticeable like playing at 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 monitor.

6. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    all i got to say this is the only 360 game I got taht wont fill my whole screen the menus do except when actually playing the game

7. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    In all honesty, people that think this is a big issue needs to stop playing games all together. If something so trivial as this (or anything similar like the Bioshock wide screen nonsense) bothers you then perhaps you should seek therapy for being anal retentive.

8. p-nut

p-nut Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 5870
    Even not in 720P, it looks great.

I don't know how some people can say it's not much of an improvement over Halo 2. The best part is the outdoors area, the lighting is nice, water is great, motion blur, some pretty nice textures, ect...

But so what if there's some jaggies, at parts of the games you can't really notice them, and some parts you really notice them. Mostly in multi-player they're harder to see. The game looks better then a lot of games I played.

9. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Halo 2 doesn't look better than Halo 3. If some people want to zoom up close into some texture then put that up against some Halo 2 screen shot, they can, but no one really gives a ****.

I haven't really noticed bad jaggies in Halo 3. Maybe it's my TV, but I've found jaggies are much worse on the component output of the 360. On the VGA cable they aren't really an issue.

10. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    I used component out to run Halo 2 (doesnt work on VGA) and then VGA for Halo 3. Like I said before, the lighting and HDR etc is obviously much better on Halo 3, but on some of the scenes in isolation the jaggies are really noticeable to me, whereas Halo 2 is generally smooth thanks to antialiasing. Whether you notice them or not, the jaggies are there and Halo 3 is quite a bad case relative to most other 360 games. Overall Halo 3 does look better than Halo 2, even with Halo 2 running on a 360, but depending on what you look at Halo 2 does look better in some cases.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i wonder which game (or will) written specifically for the PS3? maybe Metal Gear Solid 4?.pff.

12. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Heavenly Sword? And graphically it pisses on everything else from a great height.

13. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I got to admit, the graphics in Halo 3 are nowhere near as good as G.O.W.

14. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    Grant Turismo (HD one is avaible now for free in stores.. DL it if u didnt)
    and its more beutifull thank Forza 2 <_<

15. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    So how many of xbox360 owners actually do own a hd-tv? They won't know the difference anyway. But still for this BIG game and a hd-console it really sucks. GT5 should be 1080p 60 fps but replays are at 30 fps IIRC

16. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Ive just picked this up and running it on my new 26" HDTV and it actually doesnt look that good at-all, Jaggies everywhere, texture work is o.k with a mish-mash of low and high res textures, there seems to be no apparent AA at-all, gameplay wise it is very solid tho so its a big plus for that from me.

But graphically running Heavenly Sword on the same T.V, it pisses all over Halo 3, Gears looks better.

Its halo's gameplay that is saving it for me, when reviews said it wasnt much to look at they were not wrong.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI

iam currently left y whole work and watching gamespot's heavenly Sword Video Review. amazing. r those in game videos rendered real time or they r premade? and is this game like God Of War? I MUST KNOW QUICK! :p these r amazing graphics.

18. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Some of the videos are rendered some are real time, both look equally amazing anyway, I just finished it yesterday and it is a good game.

19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    its halo.....graphics cant get any better without ruining the feel.

I i think some of u are forgetting 1 2 and 3 are all the same engine...for me it looks dam good for a halo 1 engine.

Plus you will never see 1152x640, Its upscaled to 720p or 1080p or downscaled 480p

So you will never get "missing menus" unless you have your resolution set to 1280*1024. Which is not widescreen so you will lose FOV

20. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    bollocks

Halo 1 didnt have any internet play, so for Halo 2 at the minimum they would have had to revise the netcode a LOT, not to mention obvious graphical improvements.

Halo 3 runs on a completely different architecture, going from being able to run 1 thread and having a guaranteed hard drive available to having up to 6 hardware threads and no certainty of a hard drive, on a completely different CPU architecture, running with a completely different piece of graphics hardware, using unified shaders compared to dx8 type shaders.

im sure bungie used a lot of the same underlying stuff, but if the engine behind halo3 closely resembles the halo1 engine, they should all be ****ing fired for incompetence, since they would leave about 83% of the cpu power untapped, to just name a point

the halo 3 engine probably looks as much as the halo 1 engine as quake 4 compared to quake 2