Halo 3 not in HD - Confirmed! -

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Bani, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Seriously guys, could you all say you could tell the difference ?

Quoted from bungie.net:

You Owe me 80p!

One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at “640p” which isn’t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3’s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the
    “almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12821

2. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
    No, I could not tell the difference BUT the fact is...microsofts flag ship title isn't 720p. Jaggies are all over the game to.

3. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    It's not the first game for either the 360 or the PS3 that isn't actually in 720i (minimum) and then upscales. However, this one is probably the most significant as this is the big 360 game. There are no excuses it is an engine written specifically for this game and a game design specifically for the 360.

Not that it should really matter too much if the game is good. Just not right that the biggest HD title to date is HD at all.

4. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Seems a strange move, doesnt look good the fact that MS are advertising and praising Halo 3 to the max and yet it isnt even full HD resolution.

I aint going to judge the game yet as i havent had chance to play it but will do very soon.

5. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    Also Microsoft removed all AA from all games in the last update.

So no aa and no 720p or 1080p for most games. I knew halo3 did not look that good when i played the beta. i'm happy now i sold my 360.

Gamestop are selling it for 30 euro too, so many copies. lol.

After all the stick the ps3 got for not being 60fps in rubbish ea sports titles.

if halo 3 was @ least 720p and 60fps i'd be happy. Looks like i won't get a 360 again for a LONG time

it looks no better than halo 2 on 360.well maybe a little.
    the end SUCKS. I finished the game at a friends, singleplayer is too short.

and i prefer fps with a mouse and keyboard setup.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  6. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Well, it should look great in a couple of years on PC, but by then we will have all been spoiled by Crysis...

7. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    Can I get a big WHO CARES? Would anyone be able to tell the difference if they weren't told it was the case?

I am not a Halo fan as I think it's over-rated, but seriously, WHO CARES?

8. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I think its more to do with xbox owners etc, slagging ps3 off for a couple of games, i/e e.a sports.

Considering they still don't use the spu's properly its kinda funny,lol.

I don't know of any game on ps3, i'm not talking old games upscaled, but new ones that are not 720p min.

ps3 does 720p and 1080p native.

xbox360 does 720p and upscales to go to a higher rez.

pgr3 was also 1280x640.

The 360 is not a bad console, but its far from a great one. ps3 has it teething problems as all new machines do.

9. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I'd like to see a Halo Gold edition for the PC containing all Halo games.

10. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA 260gtx 216 SSC SLi
    Who cares about numbers, it's how it looks on the screen. Resistance in 720p looks 10 times better than Halo 3 in 1080p or whatever the real numbers are. Jaggies all over the place, frame rate drop, lag, etc takes away from the game experience.

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Considering the fact that these consoles are supposed to have so much power behind them I find this rather disappointing. The PS3 can't do 60 FPS and now we find out that Halo 3 isn't even HD. That's sad. I have no problems with the res not being HD, but for something that is supposed to have the best graphics I find it kind of sad. I have a problem with the PS3 stuff being 30 FPS though. It just doesn't feel right some of the times. And in fire fights it makes a big difference.

12. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I don't own a 360, I don't care, and even if I did, I still wouldn't. Won't PGR4 be running an upscaled 640p also?

Yeah it's not HD but who cares? It still looks alright, so will PGR4 no doubt. Neither the 360 or the PS3 will be able to render decent games at 1080p, they just ain't got the power. Which is why the PC is always a step in front.....resolution?

Take your pick.:D

13. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    This sums it up for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

14. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Fixed that for you.

As for the OP, yeah it is quite obvious at times things aren't as they should be, some huge jaggies on some sections, and I'm talking like PS2 style jaggies. Halo 2 running on the 360 looks significantly better at points, simply due to antialiasing being enabled, even if the lighting and textures are not as good. However, generally it does look pretty good still and some of the lighting (which is the reason behind the supposed low res) is extremely good at times, especially moving between indoor and outdoor sections.

15. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    well the game still looked pretty good on my standard TV :p. but seriously, i think only a few people noticed anything wrong in the actual resolution of the game and even when scaled im sure the game looks pretty pimp at high def resolutions.

however this does leave the door open for some good discussion and questions. i seem to remember all the talks of all games running at a native res of 720p and 4x AA when the 360 was announced. is it now the case that the 360 cant handle this ? i sure as hell noticed the jaggies in Halo 3. will MS now release the new Xbox 540 Elitehaxorz version of the console wich will have a bit of extra juice in it for AA and higher resolutions ? and what is this talk about MS dropping AA completely on some update ? does anyone have a linky to this info ?

16. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Yeah, I really see this as a none issue. This is the kind of petty nit-picking that is beginning to ruin gaming sites in general. It doesn't matter what game it is, what resolution it is, how many textures, size of textures, shading, lighting, on and on, someone will still find something to complain about. Using this as an example, how did this affect game play? Does the game suffer because it is not natively in full HD? Ummm, it didn't bother me any because I was too busy having fun and playing the game. Does Halo 3 have some graphical flaws, why yes it does but there has never been a game that hasn't. Did MS claim that this would be the Holy Grail of graphics on the Xbox360? No they did not. This goes for the PS3 as well, when you look at Madden 08. Yes, it does slow down a bit at times, but that doesn't keep it from being fun to play. I think some people forget just how difficult it is to make games and the fact that developers are constantly performing a balance act in regards to graphics versus performance. In fact, that very balancing act is possibly one of the most difficult aspects for developers to deal with. My point is, I get the feeling that some gamers are just getting far too spoiled in their expectations and are far too quick to pass judgment. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but game play far outweighs minor graphical flaws in my opinion. To each his own.

17. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Who gives a damn. Why not ask the question: Is it any good first? Man...back in the day when Contra and Ninja Gaiden were all the rage, we mostly cared about how damned hard the game was, not whether or not AA was enabled. I really hate modern gamers.

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    wow, and i thought games look total $*it @ 1280x960 on my native 1680x1050 because my 7800 cant cut it for native, but 1152x640 must be awful. Im glad to be a PC gamer at the moment, at least you can change the resolution when you get better hardware, or at least have a decent enuf resolution to start with

19. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    What would be nice is halo 1-3 on pc with a improved halo 3 engine so you can play the story right through.

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    That would actually be sweet, id enjoy it, Halo 2 looks complete arse on the PC, and if Halo 3 is running at that res, it probably means the textures are pretty low res( can anyone confirm? ) and just blurred which means a conversion will look like crap on the PC too