Halh Life 3 Linux Exclusive

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nchinmay, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Windows 8 is just an excuse, they have clearly been working on this for some time, at least a year according to Nvidia.

Trying to reboot PC gaming at this stage sounds like the worse idea ever, even if others did buy into it, what would we end up with??
    Linux exclusives and Windows exclusives, both of them selling nowhere near what console exclusive sells, multi-platform games having development time split between Windows and Linux, so PC ports get even worse.

This is for no ones benefit but Gabe's, he just wants to take something open, then control it himself.

2. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I think they'd make it "exclusive" for a month or two and then release it to windows if it were to go that route. I still don't buy it. I think they're testing the waters to see what they can do with linux, but to make a multi-million dollar seller an exclusive to a platform most people don't even know exists is just silly.

3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    As he did with digital distribution via steam. I agree.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Maybe Gabe should start subsidizing hard drives, things are still expensive thanks to that flooding in Tai-I-forget-now, which was probably orchestrated by On-Live and im guessing thats why they went broke.

But yes - Windows 8 all the way, k thnx bye.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    yeah. I had issues...well tons of issues on Nvidia drivers and Creative drivers on Linux over the years, trying to play what little top tier games they have had for it this decade...its basically like they tossed out an old ham bone after the Windows users ate the ham.

Though I always wanted this for Linux, the problem is it's almost 2013, a month ago I literally copied and pasted well over 50 command lines into Terminal, to get many features I more easily get in Windows...a good 4 hours of googling, for instance, proper AAC conversion...after 3 hours, I found only sound Konverter actually pulled it off, but it wouldn't play in my Car stereo...yet ITunes conversion or Any audio converter had no issues. No other method worked...I had like 10 other issues just like that, trying this app, trying that app...all of which are very bland and basic or lack a GUI. all on top of not having Netflix and no ITunes, yet the Linux community said I could do my Ipad stuff all under Banshee..etc. I lol'ed when I tried. It's a finicky, funky OS depending on what you want to do with it, but most of all, most any issue encountered requires command lines, its not hard to memorize some but damn, who wants to type all that crap all the time?:3eyes: nuff rant

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    You summed it up pretty well! Linux will never be a mainstreem (I spelt it like that because the proper spelling is blocked) OS as it definitely does not have the user-friendliness that a mainstreem OS requires. It would require a lot of work and overhauling before it would become practical. Also, a lot of the features that Linux users like would actually be a security risk and system risk to people who don't know how to use them. Linux users will scoff at that remark, but they're not looking at it from the point of view of someone who isn't fluent in Linux. Having these people not use Linux would completely defeat the purpose.

If the scenario is true, in that it will only be released on Linux, there is one fact that absolutely must happen for it not to completely backfire on them. It would have to be a game that inspires awe in the players. It simply cannot be a game with great graphics, realism, and gameplay (including length), it has to be a game with revolutionary graphics, realism, and gameplay! (including length, something that you can't finish in a day).

By revolutionary I merely don't mean similar to what we have currently but a bit better, I mean actually an emphasis on the wow! factor. If the game is merely at the level of realism, physics, and performance of say, Crysis 3, or ARMA 3 (future games), then the whole point of the Linux argument would fall apart. It would provide no real tangible benefit over the Windows platform.

The argument for the Linux platform is afterall, less overhead, and the ability to make use of hardware like console developers have made use of the pitiful hardware on current gen consoles. If they do not make use of Haswell CPU's, HD8970/GTX 780 video cards etc the same way, their statement is invalid.

I state those high end specs because Linux users are enthusiast users, most would have higher endish stuff (one would assume). Having Half Life 3 good graphically, and having the same graphics on a Core 2 with a HD5000/Gtx280 video card etc as on a (at the time of release) mid to high end system won't cut it. Not doing this will mean that Half Life 3 on Linux is already a miserable failure. They really need to pull something out of the bag to get people to want to move to Linux.

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Thats totally bull****, lol.

8. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    This story makes total sense !!!

This gets even worse, you find trolls trolling other trolls.

9. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I wouldn't count Linux out of the works as a gaming platform yet. There are many things you can do with Linux that you can't do with windows (legally) and it wouldn't surprise if a talented bunch of programmers out there develop a version of Linux aimed specifically towards gaming.

Besides, Linux is a really lite OS and highly customizable; it's just driver support sucks that's all and there is a reason for that.

I say bring gaming to Linux, it's will give driver developers more incentive that way.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    To be fair, half life 3 is a big enough joke anyway without stories like this.

11. volors

volors Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
  12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I also heard that GTA5 isnt announced for PC coz its Apple iOS exclusive.

Alright... I'll go find a corner to sit in..

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Don't you mean Apple pOS? Oh hang on, that describes something else :D

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    no...I have a better idea

[​IMG]

15. Zen0