Half-Refresh Vsync... Possible to add to future drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Jayson, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Nvidia has had this feature for years and AMD has not.

If I wanna run my games in the highest resolution possible, but still want a smooth frame rate, it would be nice to be able to run my game 30fps at 60hz (like LFC with frame doubling) with perfect frame pacing like on console.

Simply capping the frame rate to 30fps, does not guarantee that it will always sync with the refresh rate. It may be smooth for a few seconds, then have a large stutter, then smooth again, then stutter. I've tried it many times with FRTC and RivaTuner and it was always the same.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has this option built into it's game. It's called Half Refresh Vsync where it takes each frame and doubles it making it 60fps vsync, except it's visually 30fps with no hitching or stutters to be found.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    IIRC doesn't RadeonMod has this option?

3. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Isn't RadeonMod outdated and fairly broken now? I remember trying it about a year ago and most of the options I tried didn't even work.

4. FrankMackey

FrankMackey New Member

GPU:
    XFX RX470/4GB (singlefan)
    Easy...
    RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server) --> Scanline Sync = x/2

OnnA likes this.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Or get a freesync display. Capping to 30FPS or 40FPS (or whatever else) will be synced correctly.

6. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I have a freesync display, but I'd rather run it at a solid 72fps @ 144hz rather than 72Hz because my monitor shows pixel inversion lines at lower refresh rates. So I'm trying to keep my refresh as high as possible, but my games can't always run that high, so I'd like to cap it at half the refresh without freesync, but using fps capping software doesn't do a perfect job at keeping perfect frame pacing. There are sync issues. It may be fine for a few seconds, then it goes out of sync with the display.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has this option and it works perfectly. It's called Half Refresh Vsync or something like that where it doubles every frame to match your monitor's refresh rate.

7. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Wouldn't that introduce tearing?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Scanline sync is there to remove tearing with vsync off. If you know how to use it, that is.