half refresh rate Vsync for Radeon cards problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by StutteringMess, Feb 19, 2015.

1. StutteringMess

StutteringMess New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    In Radeon pro we have Always On (Double Vsync) option but unfortunately it doesn't work!!(for most of games that i have tested,it's the same as regular 60hz 60fps vsync) in nvidia inspector half refresh vsync works fine but for some reason it doesn't work in amd so playing at 30fps on amd card gives stuttering and choppy gameplay,limiting framerate to 30 on regular 60 hz vsync wont solve this problem - it stutters like mad :/ because fps are not in sync, Is there any way to solve this?? I want to see smooth 30fps on radeon(i know it can't be as smooth as 60 but it doesn't have to stutter because in nvidia 30 fps is realy smooth with 1/2 refresh rate vsync)this drives me crazy.
    any ideas??

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    get your FPS to over 30 but under 60fps, then enable vsync WITHOUT triple buffering, it will lock to 30fps.

or use DFC and set it at 30.

3. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    locking fps to 30 with regular vsync IS NOT AS GOOD AS half refresh vsync, it seems that "half refresh rate vsync" is exclusive nvidia feature,the good news is that some games like far cry 3/4 has an option in game for 2 frames vsync.

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Have you tried DFC at 30fps?

its a frame limiter, not vsync.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

5. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    yes, but DFC at 30fps without vsync = screen tearing and stuttering too,it sucks.

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    DFC with TB on?

7. Bodhead

Bodhead New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 295x2 4gb
    Radeon pro double vsync only works on dx11 games,I use it on a few games,it's the only way to get 100% stutter free 30fps.

8. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    DX11 you say? hmm,what about dragon age inquisition? it works there in dx11 mode?

9. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Hey there! First off, the feature doesn't work with DX9 titles. It only works in DX10 and 11.

Second, I don't think this feature is what you're looking for, as in scenarios where the frame rate would dip below 60fps (resulting in 30fps double buffered with v-sync enabled), the frame rate will now fall to 20fps with the double v-sync option enabled (one third of 60).

nVidia handles this stuff better. There are multiple threads about this topic scattered around these forums. I made one some time ago which you might want to read, but the situation hasn't improved one bit since then: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373650

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  10. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    yup,AMD is pile of junk,radeon users are ****ed when framerate drops under 60 fps because AMD was to stupid to implement proper 1/2 refresh vsync like nvidia did.its hard to keep fps always on 60 but AMD dont care about smooth 30fps,very disappointing, i'm gonna shoot my R9 280 with my .36 revolver(maybe I will upload a video of that) and join Nvidia master race.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    [​IMG]

patteSatan likes this.
  12. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Cool, please do! :rpg:

Destruction never gets old :D

13. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i would buy your 280x for $50, so you can buy bullets. so maybe you can destroy some other stuff

14. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    im not gonna sell it because its pure evil to sell GPU'S that gives headaches,AMD has nothing to offer,mantle is crap, no fur/hair, no physx and constant stuttering in 30fps mode,one big choppy slideshow!,was 1/2 refresh vsync impossible for AMD?? i dont think so,how people can use such an abomination? stable 60fps is hard to achieve,some games are buggy and fps drops are inevitable.

15. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    This is now my thread shush.
    [​IMG]

Nice overclock there mate. I'm running currently 1150/1250 at 1.250v too. Too high memory clock is just ruining my firestrike score. Seems like its error-correcting instead of doing its job.

Btw, do you set the voltage in MSi AB? Or a different program, and if so does your GPU voltage jump around like crazy too in games? Seems like vdroop to me but its really weird setting it to 1.250 and it jumps from 1.169-1.2v the whole time.

16. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    why AMD why??????

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    [​IMG]

patteSatan likes this.
  18. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    I have a 2GB 260X I play most games on Max graphics settings (but not SS/AA) most triple A titles I have to turn down SS/AA and I can play almost every game 60 FPS smooth. Sure I don't get AA/SS on max but on Advanced Warfare I max the game out with SS on 2x (I use 4x in campaign 2x multiplayer) on Sniper Elite 3 when using mantle I max it out with SS off and I can get constant 60 FPS I don't play that many games though but the ones I do I have no issues.

Most other games I played were things like Warframe which run perfectly smooth (but a few crashes or dc's in game sometimes).

People who play on 1080p single monitor don't really need over a 280 turning down AA/SS a bit is not a big deal to people who grew up playing consoles and games on older systems even when new came out because smooth fun gameplay was better then graphics

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  19. StutteringMess

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x
    oh,one more thing... Is there any way to force "triple buffering" OFF? some games are using it by default so fps wont drop to 30 and frames are out of sync and stutter,there is also GeDoSaTo tool, it's very nice for forcing 1/2 vsync but not for all games.Can we make a half refresh vsync petition and send it to AMD? ,people with 120hz monitors should be interested even more because stable 120fps is rather impossible on ultra.

20. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Didn't happen to my 7950, must be pebcak.