Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    How can game of the year be a vr game that 10% users played and no one is talking about?

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    It's not by choice many haven't played it, after my next gpu upgrade a VR setup is next on the list, i've had a VR setup in mind for ages but you know, very expensive.
    I can only imagine how immersive something like this is.

3. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    I think the stats for VR make it at around 2% of all active Steam users, so that's 2% of one out of four major gaming platforms. Of course the target audience is absolutely miniscule. But: are there guidelines on what constitutes a Game of the Year?

Publications choose their GOTY on their own terms. Some choose the most popular game, some choose the game they thought was best, some choose a game that best 'speaks' for the kind of year it's been in gaming, some choose a game that shows the direction of future games. But if popularity were the most important factor, we'd be blessed with Fortnite and Minecraft having five-year win streaks I think.

Alyx is a great game, top quality all round, ánd a daring endeavor that serves as a reference for future games, VR or no. Outside of accessibility / availability, I don't think you could ask for much more from a GOTY.

Undying likes this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah.
    Maybe "VR game of the year"... but making a title that only appeals to a niche market the game of the year seems odd.
    Specially since, as you said, nobody is talking about it any more.

When it released, and for a bit after... yeah, everyone was all about it. But, for months now... there's been nothing.
    The game came and went. Which, is drastically different compared to past Half-Life titles.

5. CRUBINO

CRUBINO Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX1080 FE
    Well-deserved. This is one of the best VR game that I've ever play since TheBlu and VR Kanojo! :D:p

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    voted this for goty vr.

think most of my picks won this year.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    If you have a VR HMD this game should be a requirement by law, just raised the VR bar so high i doubt anything will touch it, apart from the inevitable Alyx HLVR sequal. ;)

And let me just add the workshop intergration is cracking, Return to Rapture is jaw dropping.

eGGroLLiO and scatman839 like this.
  8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Yes I really need to try this! Playing the game again now that I have index controllers but I need to try some workshop stuff

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Oh you need to try some of the workshop stuff, the modders are doing a fantastic job with this VR engine.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    :eek:

CRUBINO and Kaleid like this.