Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    watched it today for the first time at my friend's place. it looks.. strange. not the game itself but the whole
    package. i tried it for like 5 mins and i felt sick.. like roller-coaster sick. lol.

this is ( VR ) definitely not for me.

2. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    You may actually adjust, if you give it more time in the future.

When I first got my headset, and as I found with VR games, the default motion method is usually teleporting. I was like 'Wha? No way! I want smooth movement, it's much more immersive!"

So I turned on smooth movement, jumped into the game and within 2 mins... felt sick. Oh geez, that is _weird_. It is indeed a billion times more immersive though, it's fantastic... but I was feeling nauseous. So I went back to teleport in my games and just forgot about it.

But a few months later, for whatever reason, I thought I'd try it again. And... I was feeling nauseous again. At first. I took smaller movements and stuck with it and bizarrely within 30 minutes that feeling left and I could play just fine with smooth motion. And it's been that way since, I can load up a new game turn on smooth motion and there are no side effects for me, it just feels normal. Like riding a bike, once my brain got used to it, it just became natural.

I do realise that this may not be the experience for everyone, and maybe some people will always feel nauseous in VR, but it's also possible that spending more time with it you may get better.

tl;dr -- the brain adjusts.

3. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    VR definitely takes some easing into. I think some people really cannot get used to it, but it's like learning a new skill. You don't judge your ability to do anything based on just the first five minutes.

I can (sort of) second Martigen's experience. I don't get sick in VR, but my first few times were a little unsettling to the head. Now it's like second nature.

4. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    well it reminds be a bit the thing that happens to people in a speed-boat. i own one and from my own personal experience people are getting sick in the first 5-10 minutes. some, like myself just don't.

i might be wrong here but since gaming isn't new for me, and it includes fast paced \ slow placed games or w\e,
    i don't think i can adjust completely and make that feeling go away. when i tried that VR.. it was like .. wow... im done lol, maybe after 2-3 mins.
    again - i could be wrong here, but im all about PC anyway. that's my personal preference.

anyway my friend said it's an amazing game and he enjoyed everything about it.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    It s ok, now u can mod the game to play without vr and from start to finish
    https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/13/half-life-alyx-without-vr-mod/

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^OMG!!.....that looks just awful, look at the static hands, who is going to pay £45 to play that version. lol

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    What, did you expect a fully finished mod already?

Yes, what is available right now for those without VR is rough, but... it's also extremely early.
    Give it time, and the mod will probably be more in line with other, standard FPS title experiences.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^You are sitting with a GTX1070TI, the card is screaming for a VR headset, it is pleading for a VR headset, it wants to know what you are refusing it a VR headset, you are neglecting that card, that has to be a crime somewhere. ;)

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Because I personally dislike VR.
    The times I've used it I didn't find myself "more immersed" in the game, I found myself annoyed by the headset, the clunky in game controls... the fact that I was not relaxed, which is why I play games.

:)

TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I guess we are going to have to drag you old timers into the future screaming and kicking. lol

What HMD did you try just out of curiosity?

11. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Although I adore Boneworks, and I really liked Robo Recall, I think you're not wrong that far too many VR games are still one big experimental mess. I've played some Pavlov, Rec Room, a handful of other popular titles, and there's still much to do in terms of communication, the UI, physics, everything. Considering it takes three years or so to create a big VR title, and the first reasonable VR headset was released only four years ago, it makes sense that AAA games are few and far between on VR. But I totally get that, for a lot of people, there would have to be a handful of VR titles they're interested in (not a handful of good VR titles - a handful you really want to buy) before jumping in.

I usually buy consoles five years into their life cycle. Of course there are games I'll have been looking at for three years. But I'm only buying when out of the thousand games in total, with a hundred games of high quality, it gets to the ten exclusives I don't want to miss out on. I don't think VR is there yet.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Both HL:A exclusive steamvr environments are now available to everyone, so if you have not yet tried them yet time to fire up your hmd. :)

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    More and more sound mods for HL2 are coming out with sounds from HLA ^^

Actually feels like playing a different game :D

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Half-Life: Alyx’ Adds Nearly 1 Million VR Users to Steam in Record Gain

https://www.roadtovr.com/steam-survey-vr-headset-growth-april-2020-half-life-alyx/

And mush deserved, and i can't imagine the numbers if the present crisis was not impacting on hardware sales of VR headsets across the board since its launch, i have been trying to get upgrade from my present 3 years old VR hmds to either a Quest, Rift S or even a Index with no luck for over 5 weeks now as they are such low supply and are gone in minutes of appearing with orders now not shipping until July, and the price on the second hand market for older VR HMDS has went through the roof.....seems everyone now wants what they can't get. lol

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  15. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Fully agreed. Now I hope more studios put in a big effort to create high-quality VR titles! Alyx may not be the most progressive title, it certainly sets a benchmark for how a AAA VR title can look, feel and play like.

XP-200 likes this.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Hope it stays 1 mil, would be a ****ing nightmare if VR is going to take over gaming.

17. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Has any platform ever "taken over" gaming?

I see VR the same way I see a cellphone/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/PC, or even a peripheral like a steering wheel or joystick. Just another platform, just another way to play games.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Why does it have take take over gaming, it can quite happily sit alongside contemporary gaming, so gamers will enjoy HL3 on their normal PC and other gamers will enjoy HL3 in VR, just like some gamers enjoy playing their games in 4k HDR and some gamers enjoy the same game in 1080p or 1440p. ;)

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  19. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Valve says my package is being sent shortly. God, this has taken soooo long, i almost forgot about it. :) Paid my 1000 bucks last week via paypal. I love the internetz!

So i guess my 1st mission will be downloading SkyrimVR and figure out which mods i need to walk freely in there instead of teleporting.

XP-200 likes this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^That RTX2080 will just love the Index....and as for Skyrim you don't need mods to walk as the game support every type of movement..........but there are a ton of mods that increase the games visuals, i have a 4k skybox mod and it is stunning to look up at night.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.