Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    Nice but why are the hands detached...breaks the immersion

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Trust me, when you are in VR those are your hands, there is no immersion breaking because you are in the world, i mean did not having hands pick up anything in HL2 break the immersion of the game.........of course not.........and because VR hand controller tracking is 1-1 it allows this guy to juggle so well, but if Valve does one thing great apart from VR gaming, it's their in game physics, and this game has the same jaw dropping physics we rememeber when we all stacked blocks on that board in HL2 to make its see-saw up........amazing stuff. ;)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  3. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    I'm borrowing an Oculus Rift CV1 with Touch controllers during this quarantine time. Most things I've tried show your hands, but I've also played Boneworks for a few hours now, which does your full body. The game knows where your hands are, so they're (almost) always placed spot-on. But it has to guess where the rest of your body is based on that, and it doesn't always get that right. I assure you, it's more immersion-breaking to see broken arms twitching crossing each other because that's what the game thinks you're doing, than it is to see your hands where they should be.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^I am surprised BW did not offer the Vive body tracker (puck) support for full body tracking, they are over 2 years old so i would have thought with the game actually having a full in-game body that they might have supported the body pucks.......but maybe they will at some point.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Some areas of the world are surprisingly realistic in this game. I'm really impressed with how this turned out.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    The game is actually simulating your arms (and maybe whole body) like boneworks but testing led them down the route of making them invisible, they are still there however.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a mod re-enabling them.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The majority of VR games use floating hands.
    As said above, tracking hands is pretty solid... tracking arms takes a lot of guess work, and can break.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It would be kinda cool if more vr games did what VRChat does... this is just a random video as an example, this individual is using full body.

https://www.twitch.tv/nologicdavid/clip/ElatedPlumpStarlingKappaPride

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I'd replay Half-Life 2 with it, and i tried, but every single place has forced night time in CM13, even the Coastal levels, it's really stupid.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Personally, hate FakeFactory.
    It ruins the atmosphere of the HL2, making the world look overly cluttered and "busy" for no real reason other then... why not?

Also, his updated character models (which yes, I know they are optional) are terrible.

Archvile82 and scatman839 like this.

11. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Didn't FF quit half a decade ago and sell the CM site to some Dutch guys?

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I was just talking about FakeFactory created Alyx model, there are actually a few that he created over the years, as time went on he made her look really different, I liked one of his first iterations, I haven't really got much experience with the full overhaul mod :x

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    I wonder how cs go is gonna look with source 2 engine in 2 months time

14. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    And don't forget the fully modeled cervix lol

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Never understood why people get so wound up about the models, they're completely optional.

Sure Alyx is "fully" modeled, it's not like that happens with just that game character.

KissSh0t likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I can't say I've ever seen the word Cervix used in a Half-Life thread before.... or any video game thread for that matter.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Already said yes, the models are optional...
    But, I dislike the mod because I feel it completely ruins the atmosphere of HL2. The levels look terrible, overly cluttered... the new textures, props... weapon models. Removes all the charm HL2 has in favor of... bleh.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well what a roller coster of a game, i take my hat off to Valve, they did it and they did it extremely well, now the VR bar has been raised i can't wait to see what they do next, hopefully HL2 and episodes ported to the HL:A engine, that would be awsome, hell Counter strike sourse and Day of Defeat with a VR option......no need to walk round the corner, i will just poke my head round then the gun to shoot someone. lol

Going to play it again on harder setting, but first back to Borderlands 2 VR and SkyrimVR......so much great VR to get through.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Have no intention of playing the game but I do like this guys content and it seems relevent.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^That bit were you have to drop down into that long dark errie room with the body hanging at the other end was just off the scale atmosphere wise in both vr visuals and audio immersion, and even though i know i am standing in my living room with a VR headet on, i really hesitated at that point because i was so immersed in the world it took me a few moments to realise i was putting off jumping down into the room because of it. lol

eGGroLLiO likes this.