Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Oh yeah I meant that part of the game, was not expecting that in a half life game. Other parts of the game can be scary but not to that level, thankfully it's not overly difficulty and not very long.

New direction for a half life game to take to be honest.

SSJBillClinton and eGGroLLiO like this.
  2. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    I think this is a brilliant marketing plan:
    1. Release an excellent VR game
    2. Sell as many copies of the game AND VR headsets
    3. After that, release a non-VR version of the same game, sell as many copies as you can ("because we care about our non VR fans")

Not sure if part 3 will ever happen, but it seems like a smart move. So keep your eyes open for this in the future.

3. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    https://clips.twitch.tv/HappyCloudyCurryAMPEnergyCherry

Look it's what the vocal minority wanted all along!
    Can't wait for sour-grapists(™) to play this and go "YEAH SEE I WAS RIGHT VR IS A GIMMICK, CRAP GAME" while continuing to miss the point entirely.

As a side note, really enjoying my second playthrough. I sort of know the game a bit so I can try and do cool stuff/risky combat while playing now, so much fun.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    New game plus would be nice. So I can get all the upgrades, never got to try the grenade launcher

5. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    Yeah I don't think there's enough resin throughout the whole game for everything, so on hard I'm not going to get the reflex sight/lasers on weapons for a bit of extra challenge too.

Grenade launcher was cool since you can use it as extra storage for grenades, and more importantly, it's fun to load the nades onto the gun!

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    A non vr version would be like wanting to drive a Ferrari but you wait until some mechanic takes it into their shop and mods it, then when it comes out it's a bus, and you buy your ticket and sit in it looking out the window wondering why people would buy a Ferrari. Lol

7. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    ?

It's here now -- https://store.pimaxvr.com/shop/product/pimax-vision-8k-x-384

A tad pricey, but that will come down over the next year or two as competitors introduce their own 4K per eye sets.

And VR is most certainly never going to die -- you only have to play a game like Alyx to realise this. It's only going to get a bigger and bigger market share and evolve (smaller/cheaper headsets, higher fidelity, etc) as will AR for some truly astounding gaming experiences in the years to come.

We are still only at the caveman stage of VR evolution, it's still so new, and yet we already have the above headset and games like Alyx. In a decade's time it's going to be absolutely mindblowing.

8. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    KissSh0t likes this.
  10. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    Yeah linked it above, looks awful lol.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Seems the even patched out the mouse and keyboard functions already to force more VR sales.

12. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    :rolleyes:

You know it's not just Valve's headset that works with it, right?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Personally, I think the keyboard and mouse footage looks incredibly promising. And that actually looks like something I would want to play.
    And, you'd be fooling yourself it you think Valve didn't make decisions and moves with Alyx to try to sell their VR headset.

Yes, it supports other headsets, but that does not meant they are not trying to push their model. It's why HL: Alyx comes free with the Index.

But, hell, at that price... you better get the damn game for free. At least.

15. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    If you'd played the game, you'd have already experienced how it won't translate into the same amazing experience outside of VR. That's all I can say man, I know trying to change someone's mind on this forum is like pulling hens teeth, but the combat is good because you're there. You take cover behind pillars, you duck behind stuff, you physically roll grenades through gaps, you blind fire enemies when they have you suppressed, it's you, you are aiming, you are pointing a gun, you're not just moving a mouse and clicking. There's also a ton of detail in the environments that would be lost outside of actually being inside the game.

You would easily be able to whizz through this game with mouse and keyboard controls like some sort of laser terminator, because everything that involves you in the combat will be removed, you just hold W and click on heads. No fumbling your reload in a panic, no urgency, no fun. Or rather, the least amount of fun you could squeeze from this game. It's a completely different set of skills, and mouse and keyboard isn't made for it. Simple as.

On the side, I'm a bit bored of explaining that people make good games to sell hardware in this thread, "But they just want to sell this thing they've created!". It's also not the only option, just looks like fishing for negatives tbh. Pretty sure I've said this about 5 times now.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    eGGroLLiO and The Sleeper like this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    @SSJBillClinton

You are allowed to like VR, nothing wrong with it at all... I watch a lot of people who play VRChat on youtube for all the silly things they get up to in it, that said... I don't want to play VR video games myself because of how it's played, I would rather watch someone else play a VR video game via youtube or twitch... I watched your rat video which was very funny.

I would rather a proper continuation of Half-Life 3, and for it to not be a VR only video game.

Although sadly I bet we get Half-Life: Alyx 3 before we get Half-Life 3.

17. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    @KissSh0t
    If you don't want to play it for whatever reason that's fine innit, but you're not repeatedly making the same gimmick/why is a company trying to make money/why is this VR etc. posts, then ignoring any replies to go on to post the same thing next week.

It gets very tiring to want to just discuss the game - in a thread about the game - and exciting new tech with other enthusiasts when the same people pop in to say the same thing over and over. Noticing a trend on this site.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^For the sake of your blood pressure i suggest you just enjoy VR yourself as nothing anyone will say will ever change anyones mind about VR who have not worn as actual headset, because it is such a unique experience that there is no way to convey, compare or equate what VR is like outside actually putting on a VR headset and trying it, that is how difficult it is to sell vr to those that have never tired it, so i would just enjoy the fact you are already in on the ground floor, everyone else will eventually come, it's a forgone conclusion, but only us VR users know this already. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its nice to see 580 is doing better than 1060.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020