Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/1711869822747139586

Valve Index Availability and Half-Life: Alyx Preview Locations
    [​IMG]

On Monday March 9th, the Valve Index VR system will be made available again for purchase after having been out of stock for some time
    Recent demand for the Index system has been high, so we do expect that available stock on hand will sell out quickly. We will continue to take orders after those units have been sold, so purchases beyond this initial quantity will be fulfilled in the order in which they are received, as supplies increase over the coming months. The exact time that the Valve Index will be made available on Monday is 10:00 AM Pacific (5:00 PM UTC).

If you already own a Valve Index, or have ordered one, the bonus Half-Life: Alyx preview locations have just been released and are now accessible to you via Steam VR Home. Starting now, you can download and visit two locations from the game, before the game comes out on March 23rd. One is an outdoor space taken from City 17 in the shadow of the under-construction Citadel. The other is Russell's laboratory, where he helps Alyx make plans to take on the Combine. The rendering technology available in SteamVR's native environments is different than that in Half-Life: Alyx, and the interactivity is significantly lower than what the game itself provides. So while these scenes do not have quite as much fidelity as they will in the actual game, we think they are a faithful enough translation to provide a fun VR preview of the game's setting.

If you don't own a Valve Index but would like to check these environments out in VR before March 23rd, you can ask an Index owner to host a SteamVR Home session for you.

2. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    There are tons of games that aren't first person that are really fun, if you can't see how it would be good for these games then that's completely down to a lack of imagination. No offense.

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think a game like The Witcher 3 would actually be pretty good for VR if played in first-person. Swinging a sword or casting a spell by using hand gestures would be pretty cool (also goes for Star Wars games, using hand gestures for Force techniques). First-person shooters generally aren't about that though - they're about running around shooting guns, which is less-than-ideal material for VR. The demos showed lots of shooting but no melee/crowbar action, which I found odd.

The genres that I would seriously consider getting VR for is racing games or flight simulators. I think it would be really immersive and I wouldn't have to get out of my seat. The price of VR headsets usually turns me off, but one of these days I'll probably buy one (maybe after I've had a few drinks :p ).

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Thank you for cherry picking one thing I said.
    Yes, I dislike having to wear the VR unit. It's uncomfortable, hot and awkward.

But, I would be willing to put up with that if... I found the experience fun. Which, I did not. At no point while playing a VR game in the past did I enjoy the experience.
    And, sorry to say, you will run into that.
    There will be people who don't have motion sickness, don't have space limitations... but people who just do not enjoy playing games like that.

And yes, it's a gimmick. It's an attempt to play an existing genre in a new way, that isn't needed. And doesn't really add anything new.
    And the fact that Valve are using Half-Life as bait to try and push their own VR unit....

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Nice, and what a great idea to allow people that have not bought a index or pre ordered the game to still get a glimpse of those preview locations via a host setting up a room in steamvr, nice indeed and i suspect on the 9th there will be tons of rooms setup for vr user to see them, the vr community has been quite good with things like that.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I'm hoping someone will mod it so it can be played with mouse and keyboard.

The funny thing for me just now was when I looked on steam at the valve index to see it's price and it says Now available for purchase and then under that it says Not available in your country.

[​IMG]

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Interesting

Kolt likes this.
  8. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    My bet is the Steam store will stop working on Monday when everybody clicks the TakeMyMoney button :D

9. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    Well the issue with querying anything else you say is that you resort to saying gimmick over and over, without explaining how exactly it's a gimmick. Comfort etc. I can fully understand, but when people call something a gimmick without detailing how or backing up their argument without repeating the same buzzword, it just makes it look like sour grapes. Is over 60Hz a gimmick? Is higher resolution than 1080p a gimmick?

As said before, there's so much more you can do in VR that you can't do with a mouse and keyboard, if you can't grasp that, then that's a problem with you. Yet again, companies make software with big IP names to sell hardware, this is nothing new.

But anyway, I'm tired of trying to discuss this with people who don't have an interest and refuse to even once take into consideration anything I say, I just wanna talk about this new game and exciting new tech on an enthusiast forum.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Valve are missing a marketing trick here with this game, they should also be selling a HL Alyx Vr Nostalgia version for all those that missed the HL2 launch back in the day, were on launch day this game won't activate on steam and throws up errors messages about steam being busy, then the steam UI will crash back to desktop at random......i bet it would sell tons. lol

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    You could have that with any game today, like RDR2. No one cares.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well, seems i need to practice on my humour. lol

0blivious and KissSh0t like this.
  14. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I wasn't going to wade into this but a few things stood out.

Incorrect. There already a swath of VR games that are Civ/XCOM in style -- what's better than being able to command from a top-down view then zoom down to the field and be amongst it with your troops, then zoom back to command the field? It's just the same as pancake Civ/XCOM in terms of gameplay, but much more immersive. Win-win.

On the Witcher there are already two ways to play Witcher 3 in VR -- there's a stereoscopic import (that is, real 3d-depth) which you can explore on the Reshade forums, while others have used Virtual Desktop to create a gigantic cinema-screen that envelops your view (so you're playing it 2D, but on a gigatnic screen). I personally haven't tried either, but those that have, have said they can never go back to playing Witcher 3 on a small real-life monitor. And yes, even a 65" TV is tiny compared to a multi-story virtual screen where the avatar is the same size you are.

It's going to become mainstream at some point as the technology evolves and shrinks, and not just for gaming. Not VR but related to 'screen glued to your eyes', this was two years ago:
    Fifteen years from now this will be common place.

No one has a crystal ball but having used VR I can fairly say it's going to be a lot more popular than you think it is. Fifteen years from now (again) I think you'll find it a majority force in gaming.

On a side note I respect those who are commenting that have tried it -- it's probably not for everyone, especially those that get motion sickness -- but those in the thread who haven't tried it you really have no leg to stand on. I've had friends over who are "I'll never like VR, why would I play with this thing strapped on my face?" who try out my -- humble, compared to headsets like the Index -- Samsung Odyssey+ who then leave and go and buy their first VR headset and don't look back. It is -not- possible to describe, nor do screenshots and videos convey, how immersive VR feels -- the hairs on your neck stand on end in a simple demo like the Deep Blue when a whale that -- to your brain is physically and in the real world the size of two large busses slides up to your face and your amygdala screams 'OMFG OMFG OMFG'. It is an involuntary reaction that 2D screens cannot ever convey, but VR will do the very first time you put it on. This is why it's bizarre to read comments of people who think this will only ever be a niche. If you want to invest in the 'next big thing', VR is it.

Not sure if trolling...
    FPS. First person shooters.
    First person.
    First.
    Person.
    The very definition of VR is it that puts you -- you yourself, your eyes -- in the body of the protagonist. :0
    There is no better medium for FPS than VR. This is not even remotely debatable. Go read reviews of games like Pavlov (think CS:GO in VR) and you'll realise that 2D pancake gameplay of FPS is a dead man walking.

This is a valid observation. VR is at its infancy. The headsets are bulky, some require base stations, the contollers are clunky. There's a lot to dislike. But this is also a nascent technology. The computers that sent us to the Moon were no smarter than a calculator, and now we have super computers in our pockets. VR is going to shrink, become lighter, faster, cheaper, and controllers will be replaced with gestures or haptic interfaces.

You don't need a lot of space. My Samsung Odyssey+ doesn't use base stations, it's Windows MR and tracks the room from the headset, and I play the majority of my VR games sitting down.

I... yeah. If you think it doesn't add anything new then I'm sorry but -- despite your claim to the contrary -- you haven't used it. Or if you really have, then you seemingly lack foresight and imagination to not understand just how this going to change the landscape of gaming in the years to come. Visit this post in ten years time. If you don't have your own VR system of some of form, I'll eat my shoes.

Not going to happen. I don't think people realise just how different games designed specifically for VR really are. Rendering pipeline aside (which includes all sorts of technologies like foveated rendering) the actual interface has no relation at all to keyboard and mouse, and most functions won't translate. A 'Half-Life: Alyx' for pancake 2D mode would share texture and sounds assets and... that's about it. Everything else would be a new game.

Lets be clear: VR is nascent and in its infancy. It has its teething troubles as consumers and developers learn what works and what doesn't. It's expensive, as all new technologies are. It's not for everyone, right now. But it's most certainly not a trend, not a gimmick, and not going away. There are already close to 5000 VR only or VR supported titles on Steam. The first version Occulus Rift was relased four years ago to the month in 2016. In four years we have close to 5000 titles. That's over 1000 titles every year.

If you think VR isn't going to play a key -- if not majority -- role in the future of gaming, you're not looking at the evidence that's sitting right in front of your eyes... which is an apt way to finish this post :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    MarkyG, XP-200 and SSJBillClinton like this.
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You may be right.

VR has been around for, what, 4 or 5 years now and it is still very much a minority thing with few games supporting it and almost nothing out there worth splashing out the money for it. If anyone was going to make this mainstream then it would have been Sony with their PS4 but reaction to that seems very subdued, at least in my experience. And, of course, Microsoft never bothered supporting it for their Xbox One.

Personally, I am not interested in VR at all - to me it's another gimmick like 3D that adds very little to the gameplay experience and in some cases makes it worse (nausea, poor controils, compromised visuals on the PS4 to get that 60 fps framerate, etc, etc) - but I would otherwise have been interested in playing another Half-Life game. No matter how good Alyx is, I will not be spending £500-£600 on a VR headset just for one game, not when the PS5 and Xbox Series X are just around the corner.

TheDeeGee likes this.

16. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    VR is anything but a gimmick (in my opinion). When I first strapped in and loaded up the Rift introduction experiences, I was sold. That damn cute robot. The sense of depth perception and scale was amazing. Then I tried Robo Recall. I was grinning the entire time, absolutely brilliant. Then I tried Arizona Sunshine... wow! Absolutely stellar. Then Killing Floor Incursion. I had a blast.

Of course there are still issues with motion sickness, bulky headsets and the ideal way to navigate, beefy PC's to run the more demanding titles, but it's getting better and the bigger companies are taking note. VR is here to stay (in my opinion).

Still waiting for my Oculus Rift S to arrive......

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think the key moment for mainstream adoption was mobile VR/AR. That's when regular people were really talking about and when it was readily accessible for the masses. Now that mobile VR is dead, there is virtually no chance (no pun intended) for mass adoption. VR was very subdued at E3 last year and it'll probably be the same this year - my guess is that it will remain niche for the foreseeable future.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I can see why this game has a 18-ish hours campaign, it looks dreadful and sluggish to play.

19. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    @TheDeeGee
    What do you mean? Because to me it looked quite fast and intuitive, so I'm interested in your perspective. Especially the third vid!

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Have you tried the preview levels yet on your index?

I was on steamvr home tonight and they are awesome, i don't have a index but there is a yt video that shows you how to access them on other non index hmds, thry are up on the steamvr workshop..........but they were jaw dropping, the level of detail in amazing....this game is going be another bar raise for vr.