half-life 2 episode 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jev_S, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's sad that Episode Two came out in 2007, and since then we haven't even had so much as a screen shot of Episode Three.
    Valve are quick to kick down rumors, but then refuse to even comment on the project. Only saying "The HL team is busy"...

I enjoy most Valve titles, but really, if they release another L4D, Portal or something else with still no news on a new HL... meh to them.

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    There will be no EP3, the reality is Valve have left it far to long for them to ever release EP3.

- The concept behind episodic games was to decrease the release time between the games at the cost of shorter games. Releasing ep3 now after 4 years will just make Valve look stupid.

- The delay the lack of total news, the anticipation from HL fans means that Valve could never create a game that would live up to expectations. chances are Valve don't really have any idea what direction to take the HL franchise.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. sexus

sexus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    so it would seem , perhaps valves golden days are over? hmmmm......or 4 years isnt enough for them perhaps , maybe itl turn into another duke nukem :)

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    It's not going to happen.

5. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Half-Life 2: Episode Three has been Left 4 Dead.

6. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    It's just been heavily updated, nothing you can't do to other engines.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    And then Left 4 Dead 2...

8. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Nah lol. Valve will release Half-life 3 one day and it will be epic. They might lie to us all the time about future games and stuff but usually when they decide to deliver on a game they do it pretty ****ing good.

9. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    It's the fkn Half-Life series. OF course they are not going to abandon it. The hell is wrong with you guys.

Might take a while though....

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I just thought of a new name for the Half-Life, that's if it's ever released....

The name is Half-Life 2 - Episode Forever. :)

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I hereby proclaim HL2 Ep 3 to be renamed to "Duke Nukem Forever" or Did Not Finish. In other words, we'll have to wait another 13 years. :nerd:

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/new-images-of-half-life-2-episode-4-return-to-ravenholm.243033/

Some few images of what apparently is confirmed to have been episode 4.

EDIT: So these episodes on hold or some such?
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/ne...de-4-return-to-ravenholm.243033/#post-3399754

EDIT: More info and thus a bit better insight into what this was. :)
    http://lambdageneration.com/posts/m...in-offs-return-to-ravenholm-and-episode-four/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    story spoiler, dont read if didnt play ep2.

While it might not make sense to bring ep3 now on table. EP2 end was not clear at all. It was a huge "to be continue" as screen fades away. Bring ep2 on same source engine wouldn't be good. So if valve will get on EP3, it might be source engine 2 or another updated source engine.

14. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Ravenholm was one of my least favorite parts of HL2.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It was my favorite part of the game.
    Mostly because it felt the most solid. The majority of HL2, to me, felt very sporadic and disjointed. Feeling as if the game was stitched together.

16. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You sure that wasnt one of the 10 bazillion "revolutionary" military shooters most of us have played ever since? you have 3 seconds to return to combat area ftw

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cod-life 2 episode 3 - modern scientist
    --------revolutionary remake----------

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I've long since given up on Episode Three.
    Valve seem far more focused on cranking out new hats for TF2 and updating Dota 2 and CF: GO these days.

Not saying they will never go back to HL, just right now... I don't see it being high on their list of "Stuff we must keep in the gaming industries eye".
    Became a problem when Portal and L4D blew up and Valve felt they had to have sequels.
    Now, while I love Portal 2... L4D2 was a steaming pile. I still would've rather had a new HL instead of either of those. Or a new CS game.

I personally think CoD hasn't been good since United Offensive. CoD2 was boring as hell, and CoD4 was... meh.
    Black Ops was the first to start in the right direction but even it had it's share of issues. I've never bought into "realistic" shooters.
    Give me demons, aliens... sci-fi... whatever. Fighting soldiers in real world situations... I didn't like that when it was WW2.

Despite how most respond to this...
    I was never big on Half-Life 2. It was... okay, average at best. The game's strengths were it's facial animation and texture work.
    The majority of the level design was blocky and dull, AI (both enemy and team mate) is laughably stupid.
    The vehicle levels were simply awful and boring... and the ending is... just... damn.

I enjoyed it (or more so parts of it) but it was never anything I saw as amazing or revolutionary.
    To me, it felt like a jumbled together attempt to top the first HL and it fell short of coming close. It's no secret that Valve originally had much larger plans and directions for HL2, and a lot of that was cut from the game towards the end.
    Personally, I think it shows. Easily.

Episode One was pretty bad, boring level design that felt like retreads and cut content from HL2.
    Episode Two on the other hand was awesome. The vehicle bits were much better this time around, and didn't feel like a chore. Pacing was more solid... and finally, a HL game with an ending.
    Only for Valve to go complete black out on everyone and act like they had never mentioned "Episode Three"...

I like the HL series. And I would love another entry, but mostly because I hope for another entry to meet the first game's awesomeness. HL2 didn't measure up.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  19. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    i heard Episode 3 was a lie, just like the cake D:

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Totally love Valve games. cant wait till a next episode of hl2 / hl3 / left4dead 3 comes out. playing through hl2 with cinematic 12.21 atm again. (must be 8th time lol)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013