Half-Life 2: Episode 3 closer than we think?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Technically, doesn't that make him the best character of all time? because, essentially, this means YOU are Freeman, who wouldn't vote themselves as #1?

2. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    When did they say that...?

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    True in some way. Ok, so the original hl series graphics were not all that, but gameplay was simply superb and one of the best I've ever played and till now I have all original hl's on steam and have no problems in playing them over and over and over again.

I have played and completed all the old half lifes time and time again since it came out in 1998 or 1999 when I had my old crappy pIII pc with 600mhz processor, 16mb ram, 64mb crap video card and an old crt monitor...

hl will never be old/dated for me.

4. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280

5. Alex.NS

Alex.NS Member Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 465
  6. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
  7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Never saw it, but alright.

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    One of the few games I'm still looking forward to. I will personally take a day off, WHEN or IF, this is released.

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    hopefully it will be realeased soon. still waiting for black mesa though :(

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Mklibride, your english comprehension skills seem to be a little of... Nowhere in my post i talked about graphics! Of course i don´t have too because HL2 graphics are so dated that you would be wasting your time...

Also HF2 is as deep as Crysis or any other shooter because they ****ed up the story!!! They went from a intriguing story on the original HL to a cliche "the aliens have take over the world story and you have to defeat them". Funny enough, it seems similar to the story of Crysis...

As for the game itself, right know i have very little interest in it. HL is my all time favourite game but HL2 can´t compare to it. It´s a very good game, like many others, and that´s it. And the episodes are a piece of ****!!! They offer nothing new and are released when Valve has some free time in their agenda...

For me, there´s only only HL, the first one!

By the way, Mkilbride, do you think a graphics whore would still be hanging to an 8800GT???

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Where's the depth in Half-life?

No, I'm not mute...but really one needs something in him to identify with other than a) male b) science interest c) in some superhero way wish to fight the evil.

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB

Depth? It's physics puzzles, which Crysis did not have, a shame considering it's advanced Engine.

It's basic shooting aspects were basic, but the Weapons themselves had such variety, and vehicles were fun. The mods are insanely fun, too.

Also, the story is not just Man VS Alien take-over. You have the G-Man and the Vortigants, along with 2-3 subplots running under-neath, and the portal tie in.

Half-Life 2 still has insanely good graphics man, you ARE a Graphics Whore if you don't think they're good.

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Force 24x Edge Detect with 2x temporal and you got yourself a damn good looking game there.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Uh...no.

If you really think it looks bad, try the Cinematic mod. Honestly, to me, Source has better graphics than Crysis, merely because Half-Life's art is better and sets a more realistic atmosphere. It feels like it could happen.

Crysis has pretty graphics, but feels like a summer blockbuster flick art wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JA1sjpopY

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Relax buddy. I still play games much older than HL2...personally I think the story is almost non-existent...it all comes down to the player filling in LOTS of blanks so that there is a story pretty much at all, so not much depth.

Halflife's strength is the environments which I quite like.. it was good to not to be down in Black Mesa once again.

I'm not that much into Crysis either, especially not since it became a linear shooter after the aliens entered the show. This is a huge problem with the HL games too, they are way too linear.

16. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I don't think it's a problem. Linear games are the best, in my opinion. They allow for a story to be told, and beautiful sights to be seen. non-linear allows for way to much freedom, no sense of urgency, and it makes it feel as if nothing you do matters.

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i liked HL2 Ep1 and 2, looking forward to EP3 but i got plenty of games to play right now and plenty on the horizon so i'm not in a hurry to play EP3. :banana:

not related to topic but i'm kinda pissed to this day that no other episode other than EP1 was released for SIN, the project was canned, too bad cause i liked the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/sinepisodes1/index.html?tag=result;title;0

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    HL2 & EP2 are good, I hated Episode 1 though, found it boring & tedious.

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    For me linear games are simply lazy designing. And often it comes with the idea that the player shouldn't miss anything when they play it through. This leads to zero or not much replay value at all as linear games also tend to use a lot more scripts.

I prefer games like thief 1+2 and Deux Ex 1 which give the player a huge level to mess around in...and to be creative in their gameplay, perhaps even in ways the game designers couldn't foresee.

20. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I find the opposite. I find linear games have the best design, and open world non-linear games have the same map copy paste x20 with a variation of rocks.

I liked Thief: Deadly Shadows, though.