Had a random display driver crash, is my card faulty?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by killer_939, Jul 22, 2011.

1. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Well, i was just playing world of warcraft flying off to do a quest on my huntard when my computer froze up for about 20 seconds then flashed the screen and said this

[​IMG]

I have the GV-N560OC-1GI graphics card and have read on some forums that a lot of people are finding them faulty, but with this being the first freeze i have had since i got it do you think there is a good chance mine is becoming faulty?

What would be the best stress test to run on it to see if it crashes again?

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    OCCT, FurMark, MSI Kombustor, etc.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    One crash means very little.
    Monitor temps and see if anything needs attention.

4. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That crash can be from a lot of things.

5. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Well the card gets a max of 70c load in OCCT and seems stable, i left crysis on all night and it was fine when i got up. I'm overclocking it atm to test if it's right at the edge of stability and it seems fine at 950MHz with 1050mV still getting about 70c max load with a slightly tweaked fan profile.

I did a bit more reading and some people are saying it's just a buggy bios and setting the speeds manually can fix it so i might just leave it manually set to stock and see if it happens again.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does it happen when the card isnt overclocked?
    Is anything else overclocked?

7. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Had the card running at an overclock of 950 core, 1900 shader and 2200 mem 1050mV for a couple of hours and it's doing fine (it crashed when the card was stock), it passed 20 min of OCCT gpu test and wow doesn't have the random graphics glitches i was getting once every 15 min or so for 1 frame either now. I'l knock it back to stock soon manually and leave it there, if it does it again i will post back.

8. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    I get this error also but not for games just everything else. My screen will suddenly flicker to black for a second and go back to normal and I get that same pop up recovery crap, it's very annoying and I have yet to fix it and I haven't overclocked my card at all. Ive done a search on Google and didn't find anything helpful. I'm about to do a format because there seems to be nothing else that's working, if that doesn't help I'll have to rma the card.

9. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I had the same problem with the EXACT same card - MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 768MB. This can happen because of improper placement or cards design. This card doesn't have a shroud nor a backplate to support the card leans a little but down.

So I put a PCI cover under PEG cables (yeah, kinda strange, but I couldn't find any other solution) to support it and now it works fine.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its not your card, its a driver issue. i use to get it with 275.27, 275.33 and 275.50. i went back to 270.61 and have not had a single crash since. give it a shot.

11. RodsterPS360

RodsterPS360 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 w/ACX Cooling
    I've had the same thing happen to me on a Dell laptop with an Nvidia GPU and it was fixed with a driver update. I'm currently at 267.76 and will happily stay there. :)

I have not had a single driver crash in months.

12. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Hm, the fact i could overclock made me think it couldn't be the card. If it happens again i will go back to 270.61 or something.

13. Elysianarcane

Elysianarcane Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6620G 512MB
    i have the same issue as most of u guys are having except with ym dual 6870's..

my cards can take games/ stress and benchmarking fine.... but mt desktop frezez for a few seconds and says AMD driver has crashed and recovered...

It just started to happen recently......

and i formatted... Twice.. and no fix so far.

14. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I figured out that the Display Driver crash for me was caused by LSPM (Link State Power Management).

It can be found in the Energie saving functions, once i disabled it the issue was gone.

16. Elysianarcane

Elysianarcane Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6620G 512MB
    i think that may be my problem as well.

I reccoment bumping up ur PCIE Freq to no higher then 104

17. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    lower cpu oc, dont oc gpu, find more stable drivers by testing em with games

18. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I changed all my power options in windows this morning so i have no idea if it was off or on but when i looked just now it's off. I think it's fine now.

God i get the weirdest problems, anyone know why my Xonar DX has a buzz going at the same fps as games (and only with games open) through the mic input ONLY with my GTX 560 ti and not with any other graphics cards? Has happened since i got my 560 and is annoying but i don't think it's something i can really RMA the card for, or is it? It does it on 3 motherboards i have tested on with the GTX 560 Ti and the Xonar DX..

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My Xonar DG does the same thing...

20. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try change psu wiring