Hackers leak 1M iOS device IDs supposedly taken from FBI agent's laptop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by JonasBeckman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._supposedly_taken_from_fbi_agents_laptop.html
    No idea if it's accurate since it's not confirmed but I thought it was worth mentioning, unsure of what use Device ID's are if leaked like this or why they're stored like that.
    (And it's from some Java exploit again it seems.)

EDIT: Ah so it actually did happen and there's some more info about it.
    http://pastebin.com/nfVT7b0Z

I guess it doesn't mean much to most since the majority of the personal info was removed before it was made available though I guess people can check to see if they were listed or tracked or what to call it.
    (Just seems so odd but I guess there are holes in any security routine or how to call it, but still a java exploit and having the data stored in the desktop and that sort of thing, not good at all with these things so I can't really comment on it I guess and it probably isn't all that uncommon.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Master Guru

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Question here is why was 12 million Apple device ID's in the FBI possession??

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Smells like another conspiracy too me.

I'll stay out of it since I get a hard time for that sort of talk.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The only time the conspiracy talk gets people banned is when it gets injected into a place it doesn't belong. For example, Neil Armstrong passing away shouldn't warrant the discussion of whether or not the moon landing was fake.

In this particular case, if you have something insightful to post, related to the FBI illegally keeping track of people's phones, then I don't see why it would be an issue. That being said, if the source of your information is something like a youtube video with creepy music in the background, then yeah - it's not going to be taken seriously.

I think that's the question on everyone's minds.

5. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Why wouldn't the FBI or any Law enforcement have the ID's of the devices and users.
    Not sure how it works in the rest of the world, but here in Australia any device that connects on a mobile network, then the user has to supply their details along with the device id to the network provider if the want to connect on their network.
    It's meant to be for Law Enforcement monitoring of criminal activities and terrorism.
    The provider even tells you the purpose of giving the information when asked why.
    That's even for prepaid connections as well..

I don't agree with it, but if you wanna connect on a mobile network then you have no choice here.

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^That's what I was thinking too.

But:

Last time I checked, isn't that some form of breach of privacy.

Man them FBI are cunning bastards.

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    ohnoes the fbi has everyone's information

the only problem here is that it was leaked.

8. volors

volors Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    ^this

9. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Member Guru

GPU:
    :
    And it is revealed that the FBI developed Angry Birds as an elaborate data gathering trojan.

10. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    The FBI is nowhere near smart enough to pull that off.

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    UDIDs are useless and the article is wrong, all IOS devices have them, not just cellular devices.

12. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Correct, in fact after reading the article there really doesn't appear to be anything wrong other than the list was leaked.

Most developers (up until the newest release anyway) used the UDID to track various status for users so they didn't have to create username/passwords. This way when you opened the app again you could have your save games for example. The push tokens are 100% meaningless. Just about everything that was collected is very commonly used so it very well could have been a government app that was being used (the gov has plenty of apps in the app store).