1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hackers Hijacked ASUS Software Updates to Install Backdoors on Thousands of Computers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by BetA, Mar 25, 2019.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    Hackers Hijacked ASUS Software Updates to Install Backdoors on Thousands of Computers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source:
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...o-install-backdoors-on-thousands-of-computers

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    lucidus likes this.
  2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Nice....never trusted their software anyway, always something was wrong with installer on my z97

BlackZero likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Never use such a software by principle myself, but I'm fairly sure there's a lot of people doing it. Also, from the linked article:

BlackZero likes this.
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Espionage, I hear. :eek::p:D

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    In the article, at one point they hint at the hackers behind this might be connected to Stuxnet etc., so they're not after stealing credit cards ;) :D

BlackZero likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Stuff like this is why I always prefer to do a complete fresh OS install whenever I get a new PC. Pre-built PCs come with so much useless, bloated, and insecure crap that nobody asked for.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Wait a minute....

'But the US-based security firm Symantec confirmed the Kaspersky findings on Friday after being asked by Motherboard to see if any of its customers also received the malicious download. The company is still investigating the matter but said in a phone call that at least 13,000 computers belonging to Symantec customers were infected with the malicious software update from ASUS last year.

So Symantec is saying they MISSED this or they caught it and did not report a compromised server(s) to ASUS?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How would that help you when the issue came from ASUS or the maker? The analog would be if your NIC driver or motherboard drivers were infected when you naturally update those from doing a base OS install. Or do you just run with the basic generic drivers?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I avoid OEM drivers wherever possible too. They too are really bloated and poorly maintained. If a non-GPU (and in some cases, non-audio driver) ends up being more than 5MB, I'm not installing it. My priority for drivers goes:
    1. Windows built-in drivers (where available, and only for "simple" devices like NICs or SATA controllers).
    2. The chipset manufacturer's drivers.
    3. OEM-supplied drivers.
    I'll sometimes use the OEM drivers if I'm having a hard time getting the first 2 to work, or, if I don't know what the chipset is and don't feel like finding out; Windows is such a PITA to find such things. I don't know why it doesn't let you probe all PCI and USB devices for their chipset like every other modern OS does so easily out-of-the-box.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Figures. I buy an ASUS motherboard after having used MSI for the longest thing, and then this happens. I'm pretty sure I didn't install any automatic update software but I'll need to double-check when I get home. Very disappointing.

12. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    It is not good for Antivirus companies neither, 5 months without detection..

GSDragoon, fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    that's what I was thinking too

K.S. likes this.
  14. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Thank god I'm not procuring my ASUStek with ASUS LiveUpdate.... AISuite etc

Someone's getting fired, someone's getting sued... someone likely violated GDRP...

airbud7 likes this.
  15. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Only Asus software updates?

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    UPDATE::

https://www.asus.com/News/hqfgVUyZ6uyAyJe1

heres the DIAGNOSIS TOOL from asus:
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ASUSDiagnosticTool/ASDT_v1.0.1.0.zip

cheers

17. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    The only problem with the DIAGNOSIS TOOL is that even if you have an ASUS motherboard it gives you an error message - "only for ASUS machine!" The exclamation point it theirs not mine.

18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    This only affected notebooks so I’m not surprised by the error.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    “Supply chain attacks are in the ‘big deal’ category and are a sign of someone who is careful about this and has done some planning,”..... “They wanted to get into very specific targets and they already knew in advance their network card MAC address, which is quite interesting.” .... as well as using digital certificates.

I'll bet some spy agency, CIA, Mossad, Russian intel, etc, are involved. The capabilities and resources needed to pull this sort of thing off are just not what you would see from your regular run of the mill hackers

20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    updated Pics in first post...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.