H100i need opinions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mike V, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    About a week ago i went from a H60 to a H100i.

I can't really explain why but i have the feeling i did something wrong while installing it. It came with the latest firmware so i didn't have to flash it. No strange noises or any of the problems lots of people seem to be getting.

With the stock fans in quiet mode(+-900rpm) the hottest core of my 2500k reaches 62°c while stress testing with prime. The others are about 2°c lower.

Cpu is at 4.6Ghz 1.35V.

I know these temps are safe but for some reason i keep wondering if these are normal for this type of cooler. My H60 push/pull was around 10°c hotter but a lot louder.

If someone with a H100 or H100i could tell me these temps are around what you can expect with this cooler and put my mind at ease it would be really appreciated.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're not going to see the temps that someone with a custom water loop gets, if that's what you were expecting. Most AIO watercooling solutions really aren't any better than high-end air coolers.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I wish my cores would max at 62c while stressing, i'm hitting low 70s with this chitty zalman x10, i'm sure the h100i is one if not the best out there without taking the full blown water route.

4. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    Thanks for the input guys.

It's not that i was expecting much better temps but i was just wondering if they are normal. Most reviews i find are done with newer cpu's. I can get 5°c lower if i speed up the fans but it get's too loud for my liking.

I have a couple of Scythe GT's AP15 lying around so might try those but i guess it will be too loud too.

I guess i'm just worrying about nothing lol.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    best 12cm fans are the Noctua F 12s, made by the devil himself, so they say.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Have to agree, not cheap, but I have 4 on my H100.:D

7. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    If i buy more fans the wife will kill me.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    hehe i'm the same, but really you got nothing to worry about, perhaps try re-applying a thinner lining over the core to see if that helps, sometimes i need two attempts also. anyways at low 60s there won't be an ounce of performance degradation.

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Sounds about normal, just had a bf3 session and it never went over 60c and its summer here,my i7 is clocked at 4.4

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  12. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    Only review i have seen where the H80i beats the H100i.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Temps seem normal. Youre not gonna get great temps with AIO solutions. Your temps are about what i get with my water system.

14. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    temps dropped 4°C with the Gentle typhoons at 1850rpm. Not worth the increase in noise. Back to the stock fans it is.

15. F.A.Q

F.A.Q Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig 2.
    That Linus guy did some benchies too. Check them out.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
  17. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    The GT's were considered the best a while ago but i can imagine there are better fans out there now.

The stock corsair fans actually perform 3°c better at the same rpm (1850) but the noise is much much worse.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I mean, just look at how much power they draw (0.083A) and how much time they need to stop spinning (17 seconds!). These things have almost no friction.

I remember using a Gentle Typhoon in a university project a while ago, where a lab assistant was turning the fan on and off. Oh wow, was she confused! :p

Many fans are just about looks. They use sleeve bearings, bad blade design, draw high currents, etc...these things are some of the ugliest (and most expensive) fans. They CANNOT have bad performance ;) Though they do tend to grow on you, they look good when turned on.

I use 4 of them on a 560mm quad rad and 3 inside the case for airflow.

My friend uses 5 of these in a Cosmos 2.

Nothing but good things to say about them.

You might want to change the spacing between the rad and the mounted fan and see if the noise changes. Try to compare the noise in an open space vs. the noise when mounted to the rad, if you haven't done so already.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The swiftech fans were better than the GT's tried,tested and benchmarked for almost half the price.

GT's are good but your also paying for the name and they also arnt that reliable for the money that you pay.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    this. GTs are decent nowadays. but me personally ive been using NF-F12s, perform better than the 2150 GTs i had and much quieter. ugly though.