GV-N460OC-1GI Users: Artifacting & Experimental Firmware

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AustinTylerDean, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AustinTylerDean

AustinTylerDean New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI
    Hi Gang,

I registered to make two points.

The FIRST is that 40% of the reviews in the last 6 months of this card on Newegg score only ONE egg. (Less people gave it any other amount of eggs) ALMOST each reviewer (48 of 160 verified owners/reviewers) complain about desktop artifacting and driver restarts in Windows 7. I have finally got my RMA'd card back and so far it is working fine. They gave me ZERO paperwork about what they might have fixed.

Please RMA your board if you are experiencing this before you spend money on other solutions. I don't see how Newegg continues to sell a product that has a glaring problem that surfaces in an average of 3 months of ownership.

The SECOND point is that on the 10th of this month I was on Gigabyte's website and in the download section was a file dated 4/1/11 that had a few directories in it and the description was (close to) "Fix for overclocking issue with GV-N460OC-1GI".

They have since taken that down. I downloaded it and would love it if someone could make heads or tails of what they might have altered. In the BIOS directory there are 3 files, N460OGI.F71, N460OGI.F81, and N460OGI.F91. The other directories are AtiTool and NvTool. This looks like a dev pack to me, but that's where I tap out.

Does anyone want to look at this?
    Zip of 3 BIOS files link
    Original self extracting EXE file
    -Austin

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Upload with zippy uploader or something , I would like to take a look at them.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    That 160 reviews could only be 1-2% of the sales for that particular card, which would give Newegg no real reason to pull the product. Also, you have to take into consideration, the fact that Newegg sells to anyone willing to order from them. There is no requirement for the buyer to actually know what they're even buying. In most cases, I'd suggest taking reviews posted on Newegg with the perverbial "grain of salt".... I've seen countless reviews on Newegg, where the review didn't match the product (different manufacturer, completely different component, different version of component, etc).... In most of the reviews, there isn't enough information provided to help anyone make a smart decision.

4. AustinTylerDean

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI
    I appreciate the thought.

In the few years I have been buying my components, I have always sought the input from as many user reviews as I could. I invite you to take a look at this product's reviews in contrast to any other cards available. Specifically the time frames they list and the type of problems. The sheer amount of people complaining about the same thing from the same time period, in contrast to POSITIVE reviews, is pretty amazing. And feel free to start with the most recent.

5. AustinTylerDean

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI
    I have included a link in the OP

6. draker696

draker696 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 1.25GB
    Wait, what's the problem exactly?
    I have this exact same gpu but i never had any of these problems.

The only thing i can complain about is weird stutter and frame skips in games like crysis.

7. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    All BIOS files got the same Clock/Shader, Memory , Fan and voltage settings.

F91 and F81 are exact the same in every way , same ID's and for the same Board , date and BIOS version are the same. Board ID:7000
    Bios version : 70.04.13.00.01 date:03/29/11

F71 is for different board , Board ID is 8600
    Bios version: 70.04.1B.00.02 date:03/30/11

So files are to update these boards with BIOS file with following settings

715/1430/1800(3600 effective) speeds.

Fan min 40% max 100%

2D voltage : 0.875V - 0.875V
    3D lower clocks: 0.9125V - 0.9125V
    3D Performance voltage: 0.9375V - 1.075V

8. AustinTylerDean

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI
    Can you tell me if the voltage settings in my BIOS are different?

MY BIOS

9. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    You got BIOS version 70.04.13.00.01 date 07/14/10 (the same as F91 and F81 except the date is different)

Voltage settings , Fan and clock speeds are exactly the same as the 3 bios files(F91 , F81, F71)that you posted before.

Your Board ID is 7000 , the same as bios files F91 and F81.

No need to update your bios with one of these files.

10. AustinTylerDean

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI
    OK, then it's settled, there was nothing new in that pack. Thanks so much for checking! This is a smart place!

-t