guys it seems like the end of computer gaming

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stech, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    I am saying this because xbox has again taken another title from pc gamers (crimson skies) and now we all are left with so many issues that we hardly get acceptable frame rates even on high end pc where as xbox has much better graphics working on an aging hardware its a shame how the game developers have left us and totally ran towards xbox,it is we who have created the gaming era and now left alone only because of that ****ing xbox,we pc gamers should be given more impotance and then to the console people.

2. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    End of computer gaming? lol.

So that means its the end for NVIDIA and ATI as well? Wow, we didn't expect this coming =\

3. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    dont you think it seems like this we are not getting the games and neither the frame rates which we deserve.

4. Grov

Grov Guest

I agree a little. I say **** the Xbox, PC Gaming is top of the food chain, dammit!:) But what has happened to DoomIII just plain pisses me off, and im sure plenty of others as well.

5. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    Ya I have to admit that computer gaming costs alot more. Because of upgrading and stuff. But I'd rather have a computer than an xbox because the computer itself, has many many other uses :)

6. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I agree that X-box is "boxing" our games, just look what happened to DX:IW ,but PC gaming is far from dead or dying.

7. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    and yeah PC can do a lot more than gaming.
    we r discuissing this bcoz we have PC and not xbox :D

8. Sqeak

Sqeak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI PE GTX670 2GB
    The day u can tweak and overclock a console is the day i get one but no Xbox could ever show my computer whats up but i do agree they do take alot of our games damn them

9. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Guys, don't worry about it. Look at where console gaming has gone over the past ten years or so. Harddrives, modems, upgradability, features like DVD playback, alternative OSes (Linux X-Box), etc. Ten years from now the line between consoles and pcs will be blurry.

10. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    but remeber inter net can even be enjoyed on a computer so another main part is out of our hands.

11. Twinke Masta

Twinke Masta Guest

xbox is abotu 170 bucks, how much is a decent gaming rig??? the video card alone is like 200+ for a nice one...yeah and doesn't xbox run @ 640x480 res 32-bit with 4xAA and AF and has a geforce 2 ti equvilent GPU inside??

12. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    Yeah man it totally -bleeps- PC's are far more superior i mean ok maybe the xbox can cheat around and play games faster than pc's but wait till next year it goes obsolete whereas we PC dudes just get a new processor graphic card and rip the guts of an XBOX, like just recently some one just gave me a copy of Halo and i for the heck of it installed it on my PC ( see specs) and booted it up while it was displaying the fmg's and stuff a cousin ( 2yrs younger)of mine who has an xbox just stood there standing once i booted in to the actuall game and it started (amazingly just that once i had no glitches of any form from my bluetooth in XP).The sound through the Audigy (gamer) on my 5300's shook the place down and i for the exclamation really pumped up the volume..he said cuz' saluted my pc and shook my hand and said and i quote " you decimated the XBOX"....... man i have never been this pleased with my rig before cuz he himself is a techie as well and the last pc he built was on a SR440BX with 500 PIII and 256 MB and voodoo 3 and then now he has an 845GEBV2 Intel with a 2GHZ and 256 DDR still on integrated Graph........

13. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    Hey I dont think xbox has a geforce2 ti it has a equally efficient geforce 3 which has pixel shaders and also it never runs in the resolution of 640 to me it seems like 800 or 1024.And where as HAlo stands it was a year ago the game launched and still it is much better on xbox as on pc the frame rates considerably go down.
    Where as the sound is concerned youParadigm I even used to think that our pcs rock but,when a person just put a klipsch 5.1 on it damn I was blown believe it or not it was much better than pc.

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    the XBOX MAY run @ 800 or 1024. but the TV can't handle more than 480i

unless you buy the High definition packs...
    yeah more wasted money.

the xbox has the NV2x.... it's around the Geforce3 area
    think of it as the...
    Geforce3 MX500 lol

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  15. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    i think the cpu of xbox and ps2 are created just for gaming with more 3dinstruction sets, my friend told me.

16. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    PS2 is dedicated hardware. XBOX is ported PC hardware and it's equal to PC brother.
    PS2s hardware is made from scratch for powerfull FPU and GFX and it's better fit for intensive graphics.. that's why 294Mhz pawnz 733Mhz XBOX's cpu

17. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    The XBox specs are as follows (off the top of my head):

P III 700 MHz chip
    10 Gig HD
    Geforce 3Ti equivalent GPU

As for the discussion at hand...

I actually agree with the fact that I think the games industry is heading in the "wrong" direction in that with simoltaenous platform development (consoles and PCs) a lot of games ARE being dumbed down and stripped of a lot of features to be easily portable (code wise) to each platform and that leaves PC gamers and tweaking enthusiasts like ourselves almost with no choice in terms of how we want to play the games on every level from the actual game play itself to the equipment we can run it on.

What I mean by that is look at a lot of recent console ports:

Conflict Desert Storm series
    Dead to Rights
    SW: KOTOR

Etc, etc.

A lot of these games just suck because they aren't made for a PC interface wise and or hardware wise -- As in the designers don't allow more precise mapping of keys to fit the mouse/keyboard and also don't give graphics enhancements which is why we play games on the PC to begin with (higher resolutions; more details) in terms of hardware.

The flip side of this is that when they do console ports, they also don't perform as well as their console successors BECAUSE, ironically, there are so many different combinations of PC hardware that they try and code them to be universal... And they end up unplayable, I.E. Halo and KOTOR in terms of terrible frames rates overhead that really doesn't need to be in a PC port (I'm no coder, but we know this to be true).

The third side of the coin that really upsets me is when they develop a game across platforms and it performs BETTER on "less" equipment/hardware like "Rainbow Six 3". "Raven Shield" -- The PC equivalent -- Was one of the most buggiest games ever to be released (in an equivalent alpha/beta state) for the PC... Yet the XBox version (R6:3) apparently runs flawlessly both in SP and over XBox live even if it is less graphically detailed or has less features than the PC version in terms of gameplay.

There is no reason for that in my opinion.

And I know the fact remains that consoles only have one set of specs to code for, therefore, they don't have the problem with hardware compatibility... But still, this trend of having a game come out for the PC, perform terribly on that platform, and then perform at levels PC gamers expect the game to run at given our superior hardware on lesser hardware the of consoles -- Like R6:3 -- Really irritates me and makes me question the value of investing money in new PC technology like graphics cards and such since the trend seems to be optimizing games for the console's $100 GeForce 3 more than the PC's Nvidia or ATI $300-500 video card.

That just seems backwards to me like someone said.

And you have to admit, the ease of use of the console is what is primarily driving its sales. The fact you can buy a game, put in the disc and you're up and running (playing) is the BIG attractor since a lot of XBox users are working adult professionals who don't have the time nor inclination to go about tweaking their hardware like PC gamers do.

I'm not saying this is bad or good or that one group is better than the other, but this is what has made consoles so popular with not only adults, but smaller kids as well for the exact same reasons.

So... Is there an answer?

Probably not.

But as "traitorous" as this sounds... If games are working better on consoles than PCs... I won't hesitate to switch to consoles in the near future even at the cost of certain graphical enhancements and gameplay because I am one of those "working adults" who, up until now, used to really like to get "down and dirty" with my PC rig and tweak and tune it like a fine automobile... But as I get older, I just DON'T want to do that anymore, nor do I have the time, and just want to PLAY the game (any game) when I get it instead of go surfing around the net for patches, fixes and tweaks to get the game to run at the state it SHOULD have been released in which ISN'T the norm these days as to many titles are coming out in alpha/beta stages as retail releases.

Your thoughts?

18. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    Well dmz I totally agree with your statement.

19. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    well i agree considering it was written with great understanding and deliberation and making sure it was diplomatically correct but i do beg to differ, alright sure we got more expensive PC's but atleast via software we update and play Halo which is DX9, (and by the way the dude who said klipsch promedia make the sound a lot better on the XBOX , ask your friend if he can listen to simulated sounds like theater etc, and the tons of options creative gives you to listen to music and movies) our pc's run (atleast mine does) antivirus, leadtek and gigabyte's monitoring tools, pal hotsync bluetooth search enabled, myy USR's redundant prog, creative's infra red control, my tv tuner's infra control......and all this with halo running on 1024x768 2 xAA without a single jerk anywhere (G4 Ti not DX9 comp.) take any game within a parameter and the pc can lick it,

Whereas the qs. "on easier to use and no more hassles involved"
    why not use a 50 cc scooter to work or get a 800 CC car to work why use a cadillac, or a lexus lamborghin ferrari......i know the list goes on i mean sure suzuki car has 4 wheels and so does the ferrari....

Whereas tweaking is concerned dude you must change something in your car right after you buy it or get the options installed before you buy it....don't you see the resemblance......................... this may be a weird reply but i hope i can keep the discussion going on

20. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1090
    It is getting pretty sad now, alot of our games we should have gotten go to the Consoles and are not as complex as we wanted them to be..
    I just dont See how the **** a Console with the specs of a X-BoX can run games so smooth and Nice looking and PC gamers (YES they do get Sometimes better looking games but the Frames Per Second Are not very SMOOTH *High FPS Mean **** to me I want my game to run SMOOTH!*).

I think the PC dev. Need to figure out why the Tweak there Engines to use the Power of the PC's and the Graphic Cards Much better than they are.. It just seems they are not Optimizing the games good enough, Hell I mean Geforce 3 Mx or so GPU in the X-Box and the games Look Damn good, All that is happening is the Graphic Card Market is getting flooded with these OverPowered Cards that run like COMPLETE ****.

Get Real really botht he Geforce FX 5900 Ultra and The Radeon 9800 Pro Are both insanely overpowered but our ****ing games dont take FULL advantage of them not even close, so instead we have to buy a over more OVERKILL Card to make up the differnce lol.

Truthfully And you all know it ... a 5600 and a 9600 should be able to play every game on the market without a problem and run FLAWLESS, but they dont! and they have problems, but a X-BOX can pwn low end cards (even though the low end cards are at LEAST 3 Times better than the GPU's in X-Boxs).

They need to ****ing stop released Graphic cards and get there Optimizing Started and learn to Take Use of THE FULL POWER Of the Cards.