Gurus , your help is needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adial, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    Greetings to you all.

My problems started about 2 weeks ago.Suddenly one day while browsing the net some white lines appeared on my monitor[more like small white squares very close to each other]..i rebooted and it went away.

After a few days the same thing happened again plus a a system lock.After another reboot and maybe 1-2 days later my pc froze while gaming.
    I decided to open my pc and use my dust blower , since i havent done that in more than 4 months.

Everything was ok, i was gaming and browsing the net fine for about a week until the same thing is happening now on a daily basis.It has no pattern i can recognise , it can happen while browsing or gaming.I have tried 2 different driver versions and after i saw no result i formated and reinstalled my vista x64 OS.
    The system takes around 4 min to boot now[ used to be 1minmaybe even less] and most of the times it doesnt even boot.I get a black screen and once i noticed a blue screen windows error report saying something about attempting to initiate display drivers etc etc[even that blue screen had the white artifacts]

I have unplugged and plugged back in my gfx card and cleaned it carefully but it hasnt helped.

All i can think of is that its a gfx card issue and that i probably need a new card..any other suggestions/solutions would be much apreciated

Thank you in advance

P.S:the same thing happened even in safe mode, no lock ups but the white lines/artifacts[but only once] ..maybe it could be my mobo?

2. jam6549

jam6549 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 660 GTX Ti
    yeh it does seem to point all to the gfx card im afraid :\ is it within warrant? RMA it?

3. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    No it is not , but as long as it is my gfx card and not my mobo than its not SUCH a big deal

4. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    my bet is on the graphics card having dead vram. if its xfx/bfg/evga there is lifetime warranty so i would RMA if its one of them.

if it were your mobo more than likely it wouldn't even post, when you press the power button the fans would go 1000% and there would be no signal...

5. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
  6. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    That is right that video artifact looks like a video card issue.
    But the random freeze without video completely screwed up looks like mb issue.

I already had the 2 problems.
    First my 8800Ultra was showing black and white vertical lines, the image was somehow shaking also. When screen was freezing (with the image totally screwed up) I could notice that there was still activity on the hard drive (LED was blinking randomly (not something always on or blinking periodically))

Then few weeks ago, I had a problem with my motherboard. As you said system was freezing randomly, can be during gaming or just under windows doing nothing... (In that case, after a freeze there is no activity on HDD)
    Running OCCT (with large data set) for example will stress the north bridge, which is usually the problem.
    For me the problem could even be seen by running memtest (3 or 4 passes with test 8). Did you try that to be sure? It is pretty easy to run and is not altering your system installation.

Good luck

7. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    thanks i will try these tests also, good point!

8. setinstone31

setinstone31 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    There is not enough info on what the problem actually is, do you have the temp of the GPU? I'm not familiar with "white" lines, but have encountered other colors. I would try replacing the video card with the motherboard graphics card or a friends, and see if the problem exists. if it does, it's not your card. My next guess is memory, or CPU (OC Maybe) I'd try bringing back the card to the manufacturer, if that's not an options try baking the card with no heatsink/plastics at 200F for 10 min, if that doesn't work get a new card, they're some great cards for cheap.

good luck

9. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    yep i have monitored the temps with everest and everything was fine , cpu and gpu temps were on spot.
    i uninstalled the gfx card drivers now[running with the onboard] and it seems ok.
    i will try the stress tests too just in case its some weird mobo/ram issue.

thanks again for your replies. i will post back later or 2morrow

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I agree, put the thing in the oven at 200F for a bit...After removing the plastic.