Guru3D's Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 review

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2007.

1. popej

popej Member

You can find may RMAA measurements for popular cards. Generally results are very realible. Other measurements for Prelude shows similar values. It's card to blame, not measurement tools.

2. X3d4

X3d4 Member

Yes. Even Prelude still has the same DACs as the PCI EMU0404.
    The elite pro has slightly better DACs as the Prelude. There is the better signalquality of the elite pro more understandable.

The signal quality of the Prelude holds the promises not completely. Really not badly, in addition, not as promised very well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. X3d4

X3d4 Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  4. popej

popej Member

Emu 0404 has the same DAC and X-Fi Elite Pro the same ADC. Both shows, that soundcard with this components can measure much better.

It is difficult to say, which part of Prelude is crippled, input, output or both. For example X-Fi Music has better output then input. 100dB dynamic rage is its input value, output should be about 109dB.

I said crippled, but don't take me wrong, Prelude is still very good card, only not so good as advertised.

5. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    The only issue I have come across is the unbearable popping when connecting a set of speakers directly to the SPDIF out via coax. I firmly believe this is a driver issue though, as the cp has no options to change output (48/96hz) and that plus other options used to solve this issue when using my old xtrememusic. The sound quality when using digital cabling is top notch though, just popping inbetween playback (tried diff pci slot, not difference).

Hopefully they solve this. Luckily im using an amp now so speakers are now connected to that instead of directly from the SPDIF out. Although thats still not the point, the prelude was meant to be snap/crackle/pop free. Well according to reviews anyway....

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    soul8203, I assume you got the update?

7. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah I installed that and it didnt help unfortunately. As i said i really believe drivers with all features enabled in cp will fix this issue. Right now SPDIF connected speakers have very limited options in the CP (for selecting outputs and volume levels etc). I'm not actually sure what the 4GB issue is but i don't think its the same with what im experiencing. If it is the drivers have not helped. I can connect via 3.5 jack just fine, and completely popping free but you lose a lot of audio quality. I mean the issue isnt a problem now ive hooked up my marantz amp but as i said before thats not really the point. Didn't expect the card to have that type of issue at all..

8. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I don't know why not?

1. You are buying the card very close to launch date.
    2. It is one of the only cards recently to have been made with an amalgamation of technology between two separate and independent companies.
    3. There was obvious indication that the Prelude was barely making it out of the door in time as evident by all the launch date delays.
    4. There was no indication or any information or reviews saying that the Prelude would not have any issues prior to launch.
    5. Several reviews after launch have indicated the immaturity of the drivers.

Just because it is 'the Prelude' doesn't mean it is the messiah of all sounds cards. It is very much another mortal and you should have realised this. It sounds like you may have been swept up in the hype.

Don't get me wrong. The card is good, very good. In fact if I was in the market for a sound card I would get one. But to not expect problems with it simply because it is 'the Prelude' is deluding yourself.

9. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Wow where did that come from haha. I'm extremely happy with the card. It's far superior to my old xtreme music and the new connectivity means I can take advantage of a good amp. I was just sighting an issue I have discovered. Since no one else has found 1 accept the lack of complete drivers, which may very be in the same realm as where my issue comes from. I even sighted earlier that it is most likely drivers. If it's a hardware issue I guess theirs not much I could do about it although as stated before im using an amp now so I doubt the issue will affect me again (no reason to hook speakers up to the card via coax).

Even with all that I really didnt expect to run into that type of issue. I don't see how im deluding myself in thinking a card should work hastle free when I buy one. Especially going over reviews and reading up on the card thoroughly. I wouldn't buy anything if I knew their was a chance that it wouldnt function well before purchase. I like to go in and buy something I believe will run great. No point in gambling with money. If what you say is true, then I guess everyone that has ever bought any technology and thought it was good is slightly deluded ;).

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I wouldn't even bother using the Digital outputs yet. There is a few issues with them and they won't be fully functional until the new driver release comes out. If I was you, connecting to a receiver I would got with analog for now. As for the other comments, nobody is really deluded, the Prelude functions exceedingly well. If you can remember when the original X-fi's were released it was a horror show around the forums...the first models were total junk. I think the Prelude did a very good job of living up to the hype.

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    What issues with the digital out? no sound? log out/in to fix it in Vista... sound clunks through the speakers like as if the speakers are getting switched on and off when clicking back/forward buttons in Explorer/IE etc?

12. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT

Yeah you pretty much hit the issue like a hammer on a nail. Logging in/out doesnt fix it. Basically whenever you stop/start a sound when plugged directly into a speakers via digital out creates a popping sound. Don't know whether the issue is vista confined but nevertheless it is an issue and one that will hopefully be fixed asap. Not for my sake but for those that plug speakers directly into the soundcard via digital i/o

13. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Yeah I've noticed my Tritton AX360 headphones, hooked through the digital receiver, like to make strange noises and such.

14. Brann Mitchell

Brann Mitchell Member Guru

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    Unfortunately, I think this is actually a problem with the S/PDIF protocol rather than the sound card... I believe there must be a little pop-fizz in order for your receiver to lock onto the data rate (it's extracted from the data stream itself). If anyone recalls, the X-Meridian had the trick of leaving the Karaoke/Magic Voice enabled, which let the digital out to remain on.

There isn't this trick with the X-Fi Prelude, at least not since Creative fixed the leaky EAX effects, anyway.

15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Well at any rate I hope this problem is sorted for those it affects. It really is quite annoying. Hopefully when the official fully functional drivers are out (expected Q1 2008, yeah i know ages away) then the problem should be sorted.

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Ah, so just Dolby Digital Live Scheduled for Q4 of 2007
    Creative ALchemy for Vista. Next release scheduled for Oct 2007

Looks like thats all for 2007, at least we get Dolby Digital in 07. :D

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is a ALchemy version on the Auzen site right now that works. Version 1.3.0.0