Guru3d users, i need your help for an online petition. Please take a look.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KingpinZero, May 28, 2012.

1. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Dear Guru3d users,

I'm here today to ask for your contribute into joining our fight against a big injustice we're facing.

I'm sure you're aware that there are gaming laptops crafted by your needs. Leaving aside Alienware, there's also Clevo, and Sager which resells Clevo barebones customized.

One of the main selling points behind these machines is the fact that those are advertised and sold as "user upgradable".

Last year Clevo released the HM model line that supports SB generations along with the high end Nvidia and Amd cards (580m,485m,6970m and 6990m) with the same feature as being upgradable by user.

With Ivy Bridge Clevo released the EM model which basically adds support to new IB CPUs and newer Gpus such AMD 7970m.

The bad thing is that after only 11 months they've put the HM line in EOL state leaving us, peoples who paid good money last year - or even last December - without future bios upgrades to accommodate newer Gpus such the HD 7970m or the future GTX 680m.

This pissed off alot of users, because basically we've left with no more updates officially, leaving our 11 months old machines alone because there's the newer EM line.

Technically speaking there's no reason why those cards won't work because nothing has changed with the EM beside the IB and PCIex 3.0 which is backward compatible with 2.0.

I've started this petition then to ask Clevo to officially support at least another bios update to ensure the feasibility of an upgrade this year, at least for a new gen gpu card.

Giving that they advertise the laptops as user upgradable and sell their products as this, it's unfair to drop suddenly the support for a machine that can be expanded and upgraded without problems.

For reference here's the petition link:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/clevo-co-add-bios-support-for-newer-gpu-cards-in-hm-model-series#

And here's a few threads that can explain the matter more deeply:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/666375-no-more-clevo-me.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...ition-bios-updates-clevo-hm-model-series.html

If you feel that is our right to fight this kind of attitude please join and sign the petition. I'm asking this on behalf of the whole HM user community, and because we're all fellow gamers that want to get the best from their rigs.

Thanks to all who wish to contribute.
    Also a note to mods: I hope this doesn't break any rules as I'm not provoking or creating trouble of any sort. I'm just standing in order to protect our rights for something that has been overlooked or part of a negligence.

Thank you all.

2. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 CFX
    Ok,i've done it.
    Cheers! :)

3. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thank you alot mate!