Guru3D Thermal Paste Roundup 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. PolishRenegade

PolishRenegade Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I would second the request. The natural off-trade of the graphite pads is that they generally perform a bit worse than TIM but have 0 degradation so they last forever and can be re-used. I switched to the IC Graphite pad for all my computers this year and have zero regrets but would love to know how much potential thermal efficiency I lost.

Thank you.

2. Jawnys

Jawnys Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac amp extreme 1080ti
    exactly im currently using a ic graphite pad on my ryzen 3900x, was using noctua before, at first sight i dont think im getting higher temps to be honest, but the idea of not having to repaste and no degradation was appealing to me so i gave it a try, im happy with it so far

vbetts likes this.
  3. mrbull3tproof

mrbull3tproof Member

GPU:
    r9 390
    Using it on my 3rd CPU, currently i5 4670k (no OCed) 4 years straight. Ancient Akasa Venom CPU cooler with one fan, idling 29-33 in a 24C room in HAF 912+ case with demciflex filters on all intake fans.
    After 6 minutes in prime95 never climbed above 74. Fine for me as it's alvays been.

4. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Hello Guys, it'll be a multi-quote one :)

From my past experience Ceramique had worse performance than Silver V and I'm thinking about checking it now, for the next part of roundup.

I'll try to get it :)

After what time? I had Kryonaut on my CPU in recent years for maximum 3-4 months straight, so I won't argue (too much, haha)

This is what I'm also aiming for the next part of roundup

Would be fun, but is it really useful? ;)

Why's that? I've checked the IHS after removing CPU coolers and it was very effective.

Added to the list.

Yep, that would be hugely time-consuming, I haven't seen anyone doing that even on a smaller (like 3 products) scale.

Available in the US, right? I'm based in EU, Poland. A thing to consider (as the shipping would be probably higher than the product itself)

Yes, if you have Gelid already the difference is not especially worth it.

Added to the list :)

I'll contact the vendor about the samples :)

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I'm still using the NT-H1 that came with my D14. It's from 2012 but still works just fine. I think I may have squeezed the last drop out of it though.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Because I am not into having TIM all squeezed around chip or IHS. For area like 300~350mm^2 which is medium sized GPU it is just perfect to use rice sized amount.
    No reason to waste, no reason to give yourself trouble cleaning next time you change things around.

IIRC there are some tests on YT with different application methods seen through plexiglass.

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    yes, ASC was slightly worse than AS5 in almost all tests, except when the heatsink surface is like a stock heatsink, rough... not smooth or mirror like.

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I used for while Noctua NT-H1 which performing well like on GPUs or CPU,Kryonaut is without the question one of best thermal paste on market which I used too like on CPU or GPUs and temperatures difference between them have been in my case 1-2°C on load

But new Thermalright TFX seems better than Kryonaut which I have used for while and has been my TIM to use like on CPU or GPUs, switched to TFX few days ago, temperatures not sure what are as my loop is in pieces now but tested this TIM on friend build where he is running 8086k with 5.2GHz with Heatkiller IV Pro block abd temperatures improved by 2-5°C under heavy load

Thermalright released few months back new TIM ranging from 12.5 W / mk for the TF 6, over 13.8 W / mk for the TF 8 up to 14.3 W / mk for the TFX.

If its possible can you add these TIM to yours tests?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's amazing how many people on tech forums still think thermal compound curing means it's dry and therefore needs to be replaced.

10. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Great article and testing. I have been a long time user of MX4 which is just great and very cost effective but when I upgraded to a 8700K and an AIO I tried delidding and used the Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal which was stunning and in combination with the new Cooler Master MasterGel Maker which is working really well for me...

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    from seeing the list, product quality seems nothing change much

it will really great if someone willing to take time to test durability, although it will difficult and take long time
    considering even from the beginning, manufacture-date already separate each other
    but if possible, it will be really great (imho durability > than short-term performance)

imagine if so-so to good thermal paste but last more than 5years VS great-temp one but only last like 2-3years
    i will pick the one last long anyday

12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Intel HD630
    Is it worth to repaste my RX 5700 reference? If yes, which paste would anyone recommend?

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    if the heatsink is aluminum kryonaut, if copper AND YOU ARE REALLY EXPERIENCED conductonaut...

but since you are asking, kryonaut.

not being a snob, but, it's really easy to kill something with it

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    IKR, you can blame Derpbauer for this too because he outright lied about it on a GN video.

15. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=22014&width=601

That's the main reason and also I've seen some other tests which indicate it as one of the most effective methods. I know - sometimes it's a bit more troublesome to clean it, but IPA makes life easier :)

Yes, it's worth considering and adding to the list for the second revision of the roundup :cool:

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Sadly, their numbers are inconsistent with results of application they shown. For example bad idea to have just one "rice dot" for entire large IHS ended up by not covering good 20% of IHS, but ended up as 3rd best. (0.5°C behind X which "won".)
    On CPU I use 5 dots. One bigger in middle. And four light touches in X shape at around half distance between center and corner. Works similarly to X.

Now, considering that they applied 2x "Rice Dot" too and ended up with similarly bad coverage as with 1/2 of amount, it looks more like issue with way uneven pressure during installation or plexiglass bending.
    (Mind that they see how TIM gets to spread as they apply pressure. And decided to tighten screws in way that TIM was not pushed in desired direction... means their conscious actions resulted bad coverage.)

Yes, Having all kinds of wide spread or even full coverage reduces risk of bad heatsink installation squeezing all to one direction. (And always results in bubbles.) But in most cases people put cooling in place and gravity does main slow job of spreading TIM. And often people move it bit here and there as they manipulate locking/screwing which improves coverage. (unless they manage to pull it away which results in bubbles when reapplied.)
    - - - -
    From their images it looks like they had 2 main issues and both coming from Plexiglass.
    1st) pressure
    2nd) bending

Plexiglass "heatsink" is screwed down around corners. Which means more pressure is applied more it bends creating cavity dome on top of center of IHS.
    Now, this causes serious issue for any kind of application that is based on smaller amount or spread from center of IHS.
    That's because bending plexiglass is already touching all 4 corners of IHS and therefore TIM has hard time getting there. And since there is cavity on top of original TIM location, it does not get squeezed outwards properly as with flat metallic IHS. (Basically more they tighten screws, worse it gets.)

In their case I would say that something like having plexiglass just guided by those 4 corner holes and pressure applied by some mounting cross like on GPU, to ensure that force is applied from above of IHS and not from outer sides.
    - - - -
    That's Why it is best to do test application and remove it again. This enables you to see any weird issues like particular spot on heatsink not being covered due to cavity. And then you can adjust application method based on what you learn.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I haven't replaced the AS5 on my CPU for like 7 years now. Maybe 8, I don't actually remember anymore. Temps haven't increased. I think it's going to outlive the CPU itself at this point...

18. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Did my own test.

Sig rig, processor delidded, solder replaced with Conductonaut, RockitCool copper IHS, Kryonaut on waterblock, ambient ~71F.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thanks for the great article Hilbert, will definitely be referencing this with future builds.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the review, was waiting on a proper roundup at some point!

While you put mayonnaise between CPU and cooler, you might as well remove the fans and fry a few slices of salami on the CPU. Just keep it below shutdown temp and all's good.