1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guru3D Rig of the Month - February 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The February Rig Of The Month for 2019 is not necessarily the most beautiful one. However, it is very unique as it is a PC that resides inside a closet/wall. Check the February edition of the Guru3D R...

Guru3D Rig of the Month - February 2019

warlord and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Love the look, love the Aorus board, great system!

The wardrobe PC. :D

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The PCs themselves aren't all that interesting, but I find the way everything is set up to make this one of the more interesting RotMs in a while. It's weird (in a good way) to see 2 pretty good PCs with no cables in sight (other than internal power cords, but they don't really count). That custom housing was very well put together, both in appearance and logical layout.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I like it, haven't seen anything like this presented in the RotM recently. Well done, and also nice and clean work (hard tubing for instance)

5. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    Very cool, I think that room looks great and the pc really looks like a part of it, not just something sitting in it.

My recent workstation build is almost identical to the X399 system here - I appreciate the effort and saving up required to build a hard-line X399 system (I had a "new computer" fund going for years :p). This thing looks fantastic, he did some very nice work.

6. Skykingusa

Skykingusa New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6970 2gb
    Did I miss it? I don't know what model GPUs are in the systems other than some RTX card.

Nice look!

7. FM57

FM57 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Very different in a good way.

And the girlfriend has to be incredible too. The WAF was steep here :rolleyes:

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This was one of the more interesting setups I have seen. How were the peripheral/usb cable runs to the desk done, in the ceiling?

9. Treets

Treets New Member

GPU:
    RTX2080
    Thanks all for your comments. Some answers:

Lay-out
    - Indeed the idea was to integrate the PC's in the room and at the same time detach them from the desk to have a clean all-in-one PC look.
    - the lay-out comes from both the idea to run the cables under the floor and the cooling design. For the cables that meant turning the MB upside down for the shortest possible cable run. That led to the 'Aorus' text being upside down as well :). For cooling I wanted the warm air to naturally rise, so intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top. That led to the radiator down low and the power supply at the top. The desk had to have a central 'leg' to route the cables through. I use active Club3D USB cables with the monitors as USB hub (so I needed enough ports there) and DVIGear (very thick) displayport cables. Runs fortunately very well.

Hardware choices
    - I chose the Aorus MB because of the integrated 10GB NIC and the forced VRM cooling. The airflow is rather limited in this setup (I did not want to have fans visible); so with this MB that was taken care of automatically.
    - it's a RTX2080: fast enough (I hope) and expensive enough (I'm sure)

WAF and money
    - I actually designed the system deep enough in the closet such that the door can be fitted again. With only some ventilation holes in the door it would be much more stealthy. But actually my girlfriend liked it the way it is so I left it out :)
    - Yes Samuel, lot of effort and saving up, then putting water in your expensive gear for the first time (first time water cooling for me). But if it works it's great!

fantaskarsef likes this.