Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Winter 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is with great pleasure that we offer you our, what we think is extensive, PC Buyers Guide! This is the 2017 Winter Edition, written by new staff editor Raffaele, outlines a set of recommendations f...

Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Winter 2017

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    1. FreeSync: This is a huge 'lure' for Vega buyers. AMD's adaptive refresh rate technology is much cheaper than Nvidia's G-Sync, and provides an entirely comparable experience.
    2. API support: Like it or not, AMD's cards perform very well in titles that support (properly) the Vulkan and DX12 APIs. This is entirely due to the way AMD GPUs are built (i.e. their 'architecture').
    3. AMD 'Finewine': No, that is not a typo. Some people have the true belief in the concept that AMD GPUs age particularly well, due to their architecture and driver support. Whilst there is some credence to this theory (e.g. AMD's HD 7000 and R9 200 series have aged extremely well, and the same will likely apply to the 300 series, as well Polaris), it is by no means a true basis to make a decision on! It is, at best, a 'consideration' to have.'

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Good information for system builders, interesting to read! Good to see a recommendation for an air cooler on the high end build Noctua NH-D15, speaking as a fan of air cooling & owner of the equally monstrous NH-D14!

4. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    Just built an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 based system picking some great components since my last build about 4 years ago...my FX 8350 lasted the pace well..but sadly was a cul-de-sac :)
    my last piece of the build i picked up at a very good price on Friday was the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x Plus,with the 8GB Micron GDDR5X..hehe!.

Robbo9999 likes this.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Once again a fantastically written guide.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    With all the drama surrounding the RX 560, I'm a little bit surprised that was mentioned. But if you get the "normal" one, it is a good pick.

I was also slightly surprised that an i9 never made it to the list. But, since i9s are horrible values and since this list is gamer-centric, it does make sense why one never qualified.

Might be kind of funny and interesting to see another category called "Because I Can" where everything mentioned is tremendously overkill and expensive.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Good guide and read , i always learn something new everyday i visit Guru3d :) .

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    thank you Raffaele for writing a good read.
    it's not easy to do with a crowd like ours... full of people who've done things their way with success.

keeping it succinct (which it was) through the expositions required by the parts was done with skill ... especially since i don't know what language it was written in.:D:D

9. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    "The kaiba build".

Screw the rules, I have money.