Guru3D - OCZ Vertex 460A Test Panel Group

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Benchmarks for Month #2

OCZ SSD Guru:

[​IMG]

CDM OS Partition:

[​IMG]

CDM Non OS Partition:

[​IMG]

AS SSD OS Partition:

[​IMG]

AS SSD Non Os Partition:

[​IMG]

No complaints at all so far, it definitely loads applications faster then my old laptop's Samsung 840 or my desktops OCZ Agility 3. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    Update month #2

OCZ SSD Guru
    [​IMG]

CMD
    [​IMG]

AS SSD
    [​IMG]

No issues and no complaints so far in the test. The performance is top notch :)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Solid perf you guys, reaching the 1st TB written I see :)

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Here's my SSD Guru update, SMART reading
    [​IMG]

Now, AS SSD Bench throws up this error when testing Acc.time...
    [​IMG]
    Didn't have this last time I benched. CrystalDisk bench runs fine, no errors. Will try to re-download AS SSD Bench.

• EDIT: Just noticed there's a new version of AS SSD Benchmark, you can download it from here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/as-ssd-benchmark.html
    • EDIT: I turned off some none essential processes off to see if any of them was messing with AS SSD Benchmark and the test passed fine. I'll be disabling them one by one now to find the culprit.
    • LAST EDIT: It was the Hola Better Internet Engine process that was causing the benchmark to fail.

Here's my monthly AS SSD Bench
    [​IMG]
    CrystalDiskMark
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Guys, looks like people are using CDM 4.0.3 now.

We need to stick to this version now so in 2 years time we can compare results. Same goes for AS SSD.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Update month #2

OCZ SSD Guru
    [​IMG]

17 "unplanned" power cycles count is correct.
    10 of them is due to having to hard reset when booting windows without previously reseting my GPU undervolt, and 7 of them is due to driver woes. Looking back, all avoidable.
    I'll add the script to reset my GPU to be run on shutdown.
    CMD
    [​IMG]

AS SSD
    [​IMG]

IOMETER
    [​IMG]

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Looking good guys, I'll be updating with my details tomorrow evening.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I finally got my PC running again today (had to replace my DOA Asus Rampage V with a functional one and that alone took like 10 days since I forgot to send them the I/O shield ._. from the DOA one) so I'll be posting the updates sometime next week. I made the OCZ my OS drive on this rig and I'll surely throw as many games as it can fit at it. :banana:

9. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Ma bucur!

Now you can test out The Witcher 3 on it. :)

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    OCZ SSD Guru

[​IMG]

Crystal Disk Mark

[​IMG]

AS SSD

[​IMG]

I haven't had as much time as I'd have liked to play about on the PC this past month, but everything has been smooth sailing with the new SSD so far. It's a pleasure to have that sort of speed/capacity in one place.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Indeed. Combination of speed AND capacity on these babies is just awesome :banana:

12. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Did quite a lot of transferring about this month, i transferred quite a lot of date from my SSD to my HDD to try out partitions on the SSD but didn't like the setup, so i transferred everything around again and undid the partitions and then transferred all the date from the HDD to the SSD again.

I also installed a lot more games onto the SSD this month, so the drive has just over 100gb left now.
    -
    Month 2 Pictures.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  13. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I think Major Melchett is leading the pack for GB written. :bounce:

14. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Guys, we all need to stick to a single version of benchmarking software.

We can't compare results if we all use different versions and/or start using newer versions in the future.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I was thinking of agreeing with you, for a whole of a couple of seconds :). I totally agree about being consistent with the benchmark used, but not necessarily the version. Whilst the argument about the versions is valid, there are simply too many variations in the system as a whole for this argument to remain valid.

Some different factors that will affect results include:
    • the space occupied by the data, which will have an impact on the speed over time comparison
    • driver version used; I don't expect the testers to be stuck on the same version for a couple of years!
    • the Windows version; going from Windows 7/8.1 to 10/10+ will no doubt affect results
    • fragmentation of the drive; yes SSD's can get fragmented too, despite popular belief#
    • any upgrades to the other components of the system
    • probably other factors I can't think of at the moment :).

#Fragmentation does occur on SSD's, and it does affect performance. If this wasn't the case, the 4k speeds (which are usually in the very low MB/s range) would be identical to the sequential read times. However, because SSD's are sensitive to write cycles, defragmentation has been strongly discouraged.

In regards to partitioning SSD's, I believe that is also not recommended as it stuffs up the load levelling of the drive. Instead of the write cycles being balanced over the whole drive, you are restricting them to a set portion of the drive. This meas that partitions that are rarely written will be 'as good as new' whilst other areas, such as if you have a partition especially for pagefile and temp files, will be 'heavily worn'.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

16. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    This is why i'm sticking with what i used the 1st time round.

AS SSD 1.7.4739 and Crystal Diskmark 3.0.4.

As we are comparing our own SSD/system performance over time we can all use different program versions, but we really need to stick with the versions we each used 1st time around so tests aren't influenced over program revisions (for example the recent update to CDM yielded a big improvement for me) - things being influenced by system usage is fine (that's kinda the point of this test), but tests being influenced by program revisions skew the results.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I agree. It makes the most sense to keep using the same version of software each month for evaluation over time. Unless Hilbert wants us to change versions I think we should keep using the original software.

18. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    I don't agree on this point. We are comparing 10 SSDs over time in a group test, so we really all need to use the same software.

I'm happy to stick with AS SSD 1.7.4739 and Crystal Diskmark 3.0.4.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I think we should just wait for Hilbert on this one, no point in arguing what versions of the benchmarks to use until we know for sure if it's mandatory to stick to one and what specific version.

20. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I'm not so sure, from the way the test is described we are testing the real world performance changes of ours SSD's based on our own usage over time - we are doing it as a group so there is more people posting their performance changes for others to see, we aren't doing it to compare against each others performance changes.

Hilbert himself even says in the 1st post that we can use other software if we want that's difference from what is suggested, i just think if some are going to use other software/revisions of software - that they stick to the same one throughout the test.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015