Guru3D needs someone for HTML to XHTML conversion

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey guys with the new IE9 release we are slowly seeing small issues with Guru3D.com's HTML codebase. Nothing serious, but we need to get up-to snuff.

I'm looking for a person who would like to (paid) transform our HTML and CSS templates towards proper Doctype XHTML.

This entails conversion of roughly 5 templates that derive from the HTML4 standard. Pretty much main/frontpage/news/articles templates. That means old tables and CSS will need to be converted and thus clean up the code.

So in short I am seeking somebody to do that job. Should you be a interested in this job, and you have the expertise .. please PM me.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Good to see Guru3D wants to update its codebase to newer standards... question is why not add HTML5 support as that's to replace HTML4 and XHTML1.1?

deltatux

3. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Too early for HTML 5 (specially with IE 9). The best option is XHTML 1.0 Strict for now. Anyway, the issues must be too small to be seen. I surfed Guru3d with IE 9 and detected nothing looking abnormal so far.

If the website will be updated and I could write a wish list, my first wish would be that the forum wouldn't stack the rigs' specs "on the left" but "above or under" the post itself. In this way, I wouldn't have to scroll up and down so much in order to read the posts. Besides, there is too much of a blank space left if the post is brief.

Oh dear, I have been scrolling up and down for years here by now anyway. It was just a wish :hatty:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    um i have the rig specs below the post it has been like that for years now. go to your control panel.

5. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Ahhhhhhhhhh, now that I am registered I can change the way the posts are shown. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

6. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    There's actually quite some fallback for the new HTML5 elements so coding the website in HTML5 wouldn't really hurt and could save some time in the future.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    where exactly is that option?

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Personally, i like having the specs on the left.

deltatux

9. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    You have to select "Fast" in Forum skin.

10. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    HTML5 is the future, but the present is XHTML 1.0 Strict (not Transitional). The former is better, but the latter is older and consequently more stable. If I was Hilbert I would go for compatibility and stability instead of modern features, except he hates Flash plugin a lot as to take those chances. As this website is huge, it is better to go the XHTML way for now, and in one year or two move to HTML5 once the browsers support it reliably. At least, this is the strategy I am following right now in my own case (I am a webmaster).

11. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Yes, it is about preferences. In my case, I use to scroll up and down with the mouse (just a habit). As I read a lot here, I have to take care of the position of my wrist and forearm because they hurt a little sometimes despite my mouse and keyboard are ergonomic. I prefer more posts per screen for that reason.