Guru3D needs someone for HTML to XHTML conversion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey guys with the new IE9 release we are slowly seeing small issues with Guru3D.com's HTML codebase. Nothing serious, but we need to get up-to snuff.

I'm looking for a person who would like to (paid) transform our HTML and CSS templates towards proper Doctype XHTML.

This entails conversion of roughly 5 templates that derive from the HTML4 standard. Pretty much main/frontpage/news/articles templates. That means old tables and CSS will need to be converted and thus clean up the code.

So in short I am seeking somebody to do that job. Should you be a interested in this job, and you have the expertise .. please PM me.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    New style or purely a lighten-up job?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For now just the current style.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Nice, I had that stuff at school like a year ago... Too bad that I did not pay that much attention to it because I was surffing these forums instead :(

Would need a (re-)learn that stuff again. Hmm.

Do you have a deadline when it needs to be ready ?

5. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That would be interesting thing to do for sure. I have been doing some XHTML stuff recently... Dunno if I have guts to bite the bullet. :D It really depends what kind of template it is. As IT student it would be really great practice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    Hilbert, what small issues are you seeing exactly in IE9? I just browsed through a few pages right now with IE9 and nothing was glaringly wrong.

If I could offer my advice as a web designer/front-end developer, I don't think the conversion from HTML to XHTML is what you're looking for. XHTML is served as HTML anyways in browsers via:

HTML:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

You should really figure out what is needed. If it's just simple rendering issues, it may just be something as simple as tidying up existing code and correct any CSS that's invalid. Converting something to XHTML doesn't really add anything. If you're talking about moving away from using tables for layout and strictly via CSS, in that case, I feel you might be wasting money as if you ever decide to do a new design of your site, you'll have to pay for the XHTML/CSS again.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It looks ok, but the code is getting a little old and a lot of deprecated values etc.

So while it works now, we don't want to run into a situation where browsers start dropping support for them.

But I agree that it may be just easier to redo an entire layout and design and start from scratch and do it properly rather than trying to fix, but that always involves lots of $$$$ out of Hilberts back pocket.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

There's nothing wrong with the current code except the atypical errors that are supressed. But in IE9 you'll see a compatibility button, meaning it sees "older" HTML formatted code. I seriously do not know where Microsoft is going with that, in 5 years they might even drop support (though unlikely) for older HTML.

Hence I want to move forward with that. I ran the code through dreamweavers convert to XHTML option and the XHTML transitional codebase is already very close to what we have now.
    That's already enough to get full IE9 support, so XHTML Transitional needs easthetic fixes mostly.

So in short, I like to prevent future issues and deal with this now.

And indeed we could move away from tables and all, but then a new site design simply is in order with a much larger expense curve.

So again if enyone is interested in this project; XHTML transitional is already good enough for now.

10. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm just throwing the ideia out there: Why not go for donations for a site re-design? I would gladly donate, I'm sure lots of other users would also do it.

You could also turn to the community, I'm sure someone around here is crazy enough to design the new website for a new high-end rig, which you could probably get sponsored by one of the major manufacturers.

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I know phuck all about programming, but I do know how to give people money. I got ten on it.