1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guru3d benchmarks uses high quality texture filtering or default in driver settings?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ratava, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratava

ratava Member Guru

GPU:
    rx 470
    Are the benchmarks made by guru3d and others using the default settings of texture quality? Because unless I change the quality in the control panel settings, the game texture is not high quality...

If they don't change it before benchmarking... they're cheating for nvidia...?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think there use defaults? i could be wrong, I use High quality and have done so for 10+ years

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    both nvidia and AMD have one setting higher than the default one.

If anything, it's AMD that gets a free pass, with their "AMD optimized" tesselation setting by default.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. negachampa

negachampa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti SLI
    Does it even make any difference ? I remember I used to always set to High but really didn't notice any difference in IQ.

5. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    It makes no difference on IQ and performance. ITT OP believes in a placebo.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    In some titles, it can make a visible difference in IQ and HQ can cost up to ~5% performance over Q + tril. optm.
    AMD is not using HQ by default either, doesn't offer HQ at all for DX12 and AMD HQ looks quite worse than Nvidia HQ.

7. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    it only makes a diference in DX9/DX10 games, like overwatch (uses a dx10 engine rendered in dx11), counterstrike, wow, diablo, starcraft, etc

8. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 @1500mhz
    Personally I leave "use application settings" for all benchs. Forcing higher AF or other things make them less comparable with others.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    Nope, you are confusing this with trilinear filtering. Dx10+ doesn't allow bilinear, but driver can still influence quality.

10. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    There is a stark difference using app controlled quality vs high quality, especially since moving to Pascal.With Kepler it made very little difference.Noticed this with the move from a GTX 260 as well.The default texture filtering quality always seems to drop with every new generation.But then that can come down to new APIs as well.
    Whatever, just use high quality.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    HH mentions that in every benchmark review, if you read it you would saw its set to v.high by both Amd and Nvidia, rest disabled or app controlled.

"In this review we'll test the following cards at the best PC experience, High Quality mode (this is the best possible mode) with VSYNC OFF and unlimited FPS. "

for example by GOW4 or BF1, etc..
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,5.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,5.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    Well, than Nvidia is slightly disadvantaged in Guru3D DX12 reviews since AMD seems to offer only Q for DX12, changing texture filtering quality level for DX12 games only has an effect on Nvidia.

13. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    If you notice a difference between High and High Quality I would love if you could let us know by posting comparison screenshots, I've been using both for years and I have yet to find any difference, I'm not being sarcastic here I'm 100% serious if you can spot a difference I would love to see it.

edit: there is however a performance impact when using High Quality so something is happening somewhere.

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    Use this tool and load bundled ground2 texture of its program dir:
    http://www.3dcenter.org/dateien/dateien/3DCenterFilterTesterSetup 1.1.exe

Maximize window and e.g. set Texture Movement Y to -0.05, then compare to perfect ALU reference solution.
    Only NV HQ looks "as good" as reference (on Kepler, use Q filtering and disable trilinear optimization).
    The tool is DX11, so it applies for modern DX11 games. It's just that texture filtering has become less important, e.g. because temporal AA can eliminate a lot of texture shimmering. In some modern games that don't have like Forza: Apex TAA you can still see texture shimmering with lower quality texture filtering, e.g. with asphalt textures when driving slowly.

15. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    interesting, maybe i can't notice this since i play on a high resolution monitor, maybe in higher resolutions this setting is less releveant. And i don't see a performance hit either.

16. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Screenshots may not tell the whole picture (no pun intended). Things like texture shimmering may only be apparent in motion (along with some other artifacts that may show up).

I didn't think the performance impact was very much but it is measurable.

17. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    What's changed?

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Upgrades to the Api is the only thing I can see.I remember the transition from a GTX260 to the 670FTW at high quality settings, AF app. control, textures were crisp in Far Cry 3, but with the 670 it looked worse at same settings.Only thing was to use AF X16, which at that point I could use with no issue, but still I saw no reason for the drop when it was supposed to be an "up"grade is all.

Pascal is the same thing.AF has to be forced to get true high quality texture filtering.It's no issue just an observation is all.:)

As for the Q vs HQ filtering I just checked and there's no difference really except maybe a small tweak to LOD bias so yeah, not a stark difference lol!

19. ratava

ratava Member Guru

GPU:
    rx 470
    that's the game settings not the driver settings...? idk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080

Blame consoles. Developers seem very willing to throw all the hard work their artists put into the textures right down the toilet for other crap. FFS, i've seen PS4 ports of last gen games that somehow have WORSE texture filtering than the last gen versions. I mean, how does that even happen??
    Maybe with PS4P, terrible texture filtering will finally be a thing of the past.(When you use 1080p output. I'm sure 4k will be just as gimped as ever)

IMO, benchmarks should always be made with driver forced 16xAF+HQ equivalent on both vendors .There's no reason to use any less. Especially when some AAA games have awful AF even at their in game 16x option.

I don't know about AMD, but Nvidia updates a built in list to the driver of games that potentially have issues with forced AF. And sets it so even if you override it globally, it still will ignore those applications. (IDTech4/5/6 games, Far Cry 3,etc)
    The difference you observed probably occurred with a driver update. Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon have it set up so you can't force any AF or changes from within the driver. Unless you disable the function that does this in the profile for it in Inspector.

It probably has to do with the POM used on the ground in FC3 and BD.
    (Which is kind of bad looking with a lot of aliasing. I modded it out in BD and changed the setting in the driver to enable AF override and things were peachy)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.