Guru3D 7950 GX2 review looks like commercial and not like review.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by ROMA_TUROK, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Its joke right?
    The benchmark tests compare only to 7900 GT and to 7900 GTX cards!!!
    That anyone hear abort ATI Radeon X1900 XT Crossfire?

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    just because hilbert didnt compare to an x1900 you think it looks like a commercial?
    look at the other reviews, they say the same things, only diff is that they show that the gx2 wins from a single x1900, and loses to a cf setup. btw, if it was a commercial, he would not have mentioned the crappy state of quad sli.

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    first id like to say thanx to hilbert for the review , was a very interesting read !!! :)

@ROMA_TUROK : if you think thats a commercial you obviously havent read many reviews

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i was kinda upset about not seeing other SLI options either..... but it still wasn't "commercial"-esque. woulda liked to see some 7900GT SLI benchies in there too..... but oh well. what's done is done.

5. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    wow
    i'll be saving my pennies

6. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    Guru3D I would imagine is well compensated for writing the reviews they do, be it money or some other form of payment(Free Hardware maybe). So your bound to see what appears to be a bias review from time to time. Most places that give reviews do the same thing no matter what there selling/marketing. Don't forget people this site is a marketing tool more or less.

Without sounding like i'm having a go at Guru3d in anyway, best advice I reckon is never go to one place, read one review and then use that as your reference for buying your next piece of hardware. Read 10+ different reviews, ask around and put time into researching your next buy. Don't sell yourself short, its up to you.

Basicly Roma don't be upset that the review didn't meet your particular needs, if it didn't, look around more. Guru3d reviews can be very interesting but they're not the be all and end all.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  7. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    ive seen some bench's at other comp hardware sites compairing it to a xtx and from what i can see its not that great. yea it beat xtx in most of the benches but considering it's 2 gpus not 1 i dont feel the GX2 is all that great compaired to the xtx. ive always loved my nvidea cards. and this is all they can do to beat the xtx, i would still buy the xtx over the GX2. just my humble oppinion.
    and i also wished guru would have compaired it to ati also, to me thats a way better comparison. i dont really care about the lesser cards of the same company . i want to see top dog comparison. not one sided

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    First off .. I don't like the attitude there bro.

Secondly, the Crossfire kit was returned to ATI after our review. Kinda hard to include results with gear we don't have.

Same goes for the 7900 GT, I only have one here.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i was just throwing the 7900GT bit out in the air there, Hilbert. just curious as to how my 2 7900GT CO SC's fare against the GX2. could probably find them elsewhere..... or find a bench of a game that shows SLI'd 7900GT's, and compare it with the review of the GX2. something the creator of the thread could have easily done instead of calling it a commercial.

10. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gskill ripjaw 2133
    I dont usally comment on reviews but some of the comments here are just plain LAME! :bolt:

I just read it and frankly I didn’t find any thing wrong with it a entertaining read actully, every one knows what ati cards can and cant do compared to nv cards I feel Hilbert's what review centred on was more comparing how the 7950 gx2 compares to its big and little brothers (which are hardly new and well know to the masses) to see if it was a viable option or just plain waste of time. which is hardly a commercial for nv as there where no compeating card from ati

Opty i highly doubt that buddy

Hilbert you don’t haft to justify your self-m8 to nitpickers!

11. MrFox

MrFox Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 580GTX SOC x2
    Exactly, sometimes people think Hilbert has every card ever made. I say its another awesome review :roll: I also love all the personal touches he gives the reviews like
    simple things that make Hilbert's reviews different and more involving.

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    mrfox, you hit the nail in the head(god that expression sounds bad in english). one of the best things about the guru3d reviews is the writing style, you get sucked into the review by those personal touches.

13. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 1080ti
    I have always liked techreport.com's writing style, Hilberts' too. The only thing I don't like Hilbert's reviews are the repetition of games introdution and other infomations, which make the reviews way too long. I would rather read what games were played and what settings were used than have to skim through stuff and like "ah this stuff is new, I better read this". Overall I think Hilbert is a very impartial and capable reviewer, and his conclusions are nothing short of interesting and accurate :).

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    uuh..... i think it clearly says what games and apps are used in the review before it starts going through all the games and app benchmarks..... yep.... page 7. goes through the hardware and software used in the review before starting it.

15. MrFox

MrFox Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 580GTX SOC x2
    Do you mean hit the nail on the head? ;)

16. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    right, that sounds a lot better.
    we got about the same expression here, only if you translate it litterally, it is in the head.

17. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX

I don't know if you got this, but it's the head of a nail, not a human head!

18. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    hmm, that explains even more. i always though of it as a strange expression, it makes a lot more sense the way you say it. never occured to me tbh.
    anyway, we are strolling offtopic, right?

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    As far as im aware, Guru3d dont get anything from manufacturers for the reveiws, and the vast majority of hardware has to be returned to where it came from after the review period is up.

20. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    Yeah, it is.

I think that some Ati numbers would have been nice , for reference. But I understand it wasn't possible. I wonder if some interpolated figures, or researched figures for Ati values would have been appropiate?

It is one sided, from a manufacture point of view, but the main conclusion was the value for money aspect (I thought).

Throughout review sites it is difficult to attain comprehensive numbers, especially througout generations of cards (which i have personally found to be an annoyance for the mid-range market (i.e compare a 6800U to a 7600gt)). Though I appreciate that it's sometimes simply not feasible.

The only site to have comprehensive numbers is toms hardware guide. Perhaps we should adopt a similar system, though without loosing the clarity; it is difficult to compare specific cards to each other on such a massive chart.

Maybe a reference system should be used for every single card to build up a database of comparable results? I understand this is an endevour and i'd hate to do it myself, but it would help us readers out alot!