Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ethne - Taken from Hardware Carnuck's review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-29.html

"Say it with me: ninety five degrees. We know the chip is supposedly built to run at these temperatures throughout its life without impacting upon its expected longevity but seeing these temperatures for any length of time on a processor is shocking to say the least. Interestingly enough, the fan stays relatively quiet (subjectively approaching that of the HD 5970) throughout this massive increase in temperatures.

In addition, idle temperatures are actually quite good and fly in the face of previous rumours. In our tests, thermal throttling usually set in at around 105°C on the GF100 cards while complete thermal shutdown happens around 112-125°C. Thankfully, temperatures never got past the 95°C mark even after hours of benchmarking."

Doesn't sound to me like the fan is hitting 100% at 95% to me otherwise they certainly wouldn't be able to benchmark for hours and never have it rise above that (logically there has to be some extra fan speed for it to maintain temperatures of 95 C or less because if it reaches 100% then it will keep getting hotter, right?). Also they mention the noise level of the fans as being relatively quiet, again, it doesn't sound like 100% to me.

2. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    I don't know bro. I watched those videos from hardocp and it sounds like a a jet engine taking off. Quite frankly, it's worse than my old X1900XTX at full speed, and that was really bad.

You have a very strong card right now, why spend money on a new GPU that, quite frankly, isn't worth the money?

Considering that most contemporary games are console ports, isn't it worth waiting until the price declines for the 480 or ATI's inevitable superior answer before spending that dough?

Don't get me wrong my friend, I'm no fanboy of either company. However, the Fermi is quite disappointing and nowhere near the game-changer that the 9700 Pro or 8800 GTX were.

3. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I don't think the heat is that big of a deal. They are a bit loud, that's for sure. But they use quite a lot more power!
    I think it performs good. But the drivers used are Beta.

EDIT: The die size is also BIG for a 40 nm product wow.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Bud, you're happy with it because you want to be happy with it. You've been anxious about these cards for months (as have I). Now that they have arrived and alot of the negative press has turned out to be true, you're having trouble admitting they are not as good as you'd hoped they would be. I feel your pain mate, but I won't buy things just because they happen to be manufactured by Nvidia.

There are serious temperature issues with these cards. You can sugar coat it anyway you want but that's a fact. Most of these tests are not being conducted in real world situations. They are conducted with no case and additional cooling.

95c+ isn't acceptable to me - there is no headroom. One day a few weeks ago, I was playing Metro 2033. I took a call and paused the game. The temps went from 78 to 105 and it's only because I went back to my PC when I did that I caught it. If those had been 480s, that would have been the end of $1000.00+ worth of hardware (and possibly damage to other components).

And no, it wasn't a driver issue, the fans were at 100%.

Apart from anything else, those videos do sound like 100% fan to me (or very close to it) and every reviewer worth their salt admits that these cards have heat issues.

I'll be happy to buy the refresh if the heat issues are fixed, but until then, no thanks.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    How anyone can claim that is not loud just confounds me.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Well just as predicted, Fermi turned out to be a glorified 5800Ultra (jet engine included). The 5-15% increase in performance over 5870 is abysmal at 6 months wait, 250watt TDP, and these ridiculous omelet making temperatures.

But of course, this should bring "some" competition, however not as much as expected simply due to the above facts alone.

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Only problem is, you forgot to mention the fan speed (or load??) in the equation. You assumed that the fan can always speed up but that is not the case if it is already running at 100%.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The TDP and the minimum psu requirement for the GTX480 are fake,especially when it consumes more Watt than GTX295(289W TDP,680W minimum psu).Personally i woudn't put a GTX480 in a system with a non 700W psu

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Whatever the actual TDP is, we heard all kinds of rumours from a zillion sources, 250-300 or whatever, it is just wayy to hot in the end. This is really sad, since I was the dumb one who bought 5800U, and oh my god, everytime I remember that card, I feel nauseous.

10. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Great analogy. I've owned cards from both companies for over 10 years, alternating actually, and the Fermi seems to be a huge bust.

Darnit, I guess I'll wait until ATI comes out with their next product before upgrading. Sorry, the 480 GTX just isn't worth the expenditure, unless one is coming off of a seriously weaker card with sufficient CPU backup.

11. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    And God forbid that you don't have a case with great ventilation. Imagine one or two of those cards in a situation where internal H20 cooling is present.

Please, don't get me wrong. I don't want to create a battle. But seriously, the first iteration of these GPU's isn't exactly inspiring. Especially when a person can drop a 5970 into their system and have a much better experience.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The thing is, I prefer Nvidia overall but I have to be objective. These Nvidia cards just aren't that impressive.

Only fools with their brand loyalty are going to start a 'battle'. If ATI had released 'less than impressive' cards, I'd be making the same comments about their hardware.

The good news is that the 470/480 are fairly solid performers (especially in DX11). Now all Nvidia needs to do is refine them and they could yet be a decent choice through the refresh :)

13. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    True enough. However, I think, and I may be very wrong, that Nvidia for once has fallen behind the curve. If ATI comes out with a new architecture by the end of the year, which is very possible, they may have finally beaten Nvidia for an entire year. The Fermi isn't bad but it isn't a leap like the 8800 GTX was.

I still relish my 9700 Pro. What a great card! The same as my 8800 GTX. Game-changers. However, we'll see. The Fermi? Not so much.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yeah, Nvidia is pretty much cooked (pardon the pun) for this year tbh but that's the way the GPU business works.

9700 = Legendary
    8800 = Legendary
    Fermi = Not so much :(

15. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Glad to see that some people can put aside brand-loyalty to acknowledge reality. :) Unfortunately, people like you and I seem to be in the minority.

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Fermi ROXXXX

ATI SUCKS IS 4 NUBS !!!!!

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I buy what I consider to be the best, I really couldn't care less what logo is on the box.

The only thing I would really like to see is an nHancer type app for ATI cards. PhysX I can live without and if I really wanted it, I could just chuck one of my 280s into that box :)

18. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    And your parents are where???

19. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    I concur. That is one of the true failings of ATI cards. But, there is always a give and take when it comes to such a discussion. As you stated, I buy whatever presents the best cost/value.

Right now, I'm not going anywhere. DX11 is smoke/mirrors and I can afford to wait a few more months, as I suspect you will also.

20. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well you see you only get 1 game changer per generation (of new architecture). This time around it was the HD5xxx series that really took the bull by the horns - Nvidia was never going to do anything else but play catch up.

Remember, since G80 (total game changer) they've pretty much had the most powerful cards (HD4xx series was AMD's 'Fermi' to G80 based cards).

The gtx480/470 are good, really powerful cards. They are the fastest single GPU solutions money can buy - that's not a bad return in fairness.

They do however run a bit too hot, and use a bit too much power - but this will change as the architecture matures.