Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It was pretty dire at handling Shader Mark 2.0 though compared with the ATI RADEON cards at the time. I switched to the 7800 GT and it was a much better card, even if it was eclipsed somewhat by the superior ATI 1900 which could do AA and HDR simultaneously, something I was always a bit jealous of as I was playing Oblivion at the time.

2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Lol it all depends on how you see it. Running good for me is 1920x1080 2xAA @60 fps. When I see 30/20 fps number, I'm not having a good time.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So who was going to buy a GTX 470 or 480 but has now been put off by the reviews?

Was anyone not considering either but has now decided they want one?

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    True.

Ideally v-synced games on LCD screens, which is how I play, should have minimum framerates of 60 fps to ensure a totally smooth experience. That's why I say the minimum framerate is more important than the average. If a game averages 60 fps but has a minimum framerate of 10 fps (or even 0 fps as I've seen with some SLI/Crossfire setups) then that is not good IMO as it means the gameplay will be stuttery.

I'm surprised more reviews don't show the minimums as well as the averages. Guru3D don't for example. People might scoff at the GTX 480 only having a 10% average framerate advantage over the HD5870 but if the minimum can be up to 20% it means that you'll have the smoother gaming experience.

5. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Yep, SM2.0 was poor on the card, which hurt them in a few games (especially Valve games), but it was sooo cheap at the time.

Btw, I found this absolutely awesome review on Youtube. It's not highly informative, but it delivers big on comedy and they have the most insame test rig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58GZRdlEWpU

6. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    I was pretty hyped about the launch and almost expected me to end up with one or two of these over the weekend. Now it turns out that they are a) not available and b) very noisy. The noise is what puts me off from ordering a card now, because I am already annoyed by the two 120mm fans that cool my 295 waterblock. But I think once decent waterblocks come out for these cards, I may review the situation.

7. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    So you'll be willing to shell out another 70-80 quid for a waterblock? :/

8. easy2007

easy2007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    I was looking forward to this launch and thinking of picking up a GTX470. Went on overclockers.co.uk and saw the £310 price tag ouch can get a 5870 for that price so since that is way out of my budget im gonna get a 5850 for £220 as its very similar in performance to a GTX470 but saves me nearly £100 which is just a joke. I can put that £100 towards a phenom II x6

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have a 295 in this rig and my qx9650 rig. I dont think the performance difference would blow me away If I bought a 470/480 or a 5850/5870. the only real upgrade for me would be a 5970

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think there will be poor sales of these cards, esp if based on the reference design. Nvidia may end up selling them at lower prices at a loss. Now if their partners come up with better cooling and bring temps 10c lower, it may be another story. Lets see how soon Nvidia can come up with refreshes that take care of the heat problem. Or simply move forward and get the next gen cards out ASAP.

11. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    To nVidia people - So when the GTX 295 was faster than the 5870 by a couple percent, ATI didn't have the performance crown because the 295 is still a single card - but now the 480 is considerably slower than the 5970 and yet has the performance crown because dual GPUs don't count? WTF is that double speak?

could have seen it coming, but still...

Great review Hilbert, as always! This is the only place I come anymore for reviews

12. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    Thank you Guru3D members for the review.
    Now I am at peace again. My GTX 295 is still kicking a... DX11 is not enough reason to upgrate yet especially with only few titles supporting the feature.
    I guess I will wait for GTX 495 of whatever name they will give to their next dual GPU card.

13. elva007

elva007 Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1G
    hey guys I have looked at the review and I can say that radeon hd5870 is better than Nvidia gtx470 and when I checked at the amzon hd5870 costs 10$ less so whats the point?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually the only person saying that was LedHed and he got banned.

15. diegodiniz

diegodiniz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hey guys. I came here to ask your oppinion. What its better to me right now???

HD 5870 = R$ 990,00 + Shipping
    GTX 480 = R$ 1.399,00 + shipping

Whats better for me in my RIG:

E8400@4.0Ghz
    4GB 1066Mhz G Skill
    Corsair 750W TX

please help me. Im tired of wait!!!

16. Sampson

Sampson Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    Go with the 5870, you wont be disappointed!

17. Terminator1000

Terminator1000 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7970 - 3096MB
    Well looks like ill be sticking with my ATI 5870 which i got in November. Love the card!

18. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    Well, let's get the facts and review this craziness.

I'm no fanboy,got only 2 cards, first one gforce9800gtx, second one hd5870, so I'll skip the stupid things some pll say here about the new ultra super 480 new ferrari.

................................Ati5780................................................Nvidia480
    power consumption........win
    Fps..........................................................................................win
    Heat............................win.............................................................
    Oc room......................win.............................................................
    Drivers.................you never know.....................................you never know
    Price..........................big win

4-1 Ati is the best choice here for those who can't spend lots of money for JUST 3 FPS increase over ati on 1900x1200 and on resolutions, clearly 480 wins at all of them, but most of us play with large monitors, 3-9 fps increase for 100€/$ more that the competitions card?¿?¿?¿? insanely crazy. (you could get up those winning frames of 480 by overclocking the 5870 witch has plenty room for it with no problems of cooking your motherboard with everything in it, included AIR)

It seems like a joke to me, for those who can't spend lots of money(again) that they will have to buy extra hardware to solve those problems to run 480 oc'ed(say enthusiastic s with low tax income such as me ¬¬)

But what bothers me most, is that nvidia hasn't delivered a monster card, this way ATI won't drop the prices of the 5000 series, i was looking forward to a crossfire of 5870.

19. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
  20. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    Sapphire hd 5870 379€(and even less if you buy online and or buy a powercolor one...), and you say gtx480 479€ is not bad? really, no brain er.

We all know Nvidia is quality, but so is ATI, ppl tend to forget that intentionally, don't lie to yourselves, be neutral, and you will see who is taking more money than they deserve right now( with this particular card ofc )

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010